ESPN: The NBA Needs to Ask Itself If It Wants To Be In Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIGGEST reasons we are NOT a Championship Caliber Team:

1. We are controlled by the votes of MLSE!
    *If* we had a RICH owner willing to SPEND $$$ on building his DreamTeam, we could be competitive. BUT MLSE historically stay near the cap. This is an Investment. Not a NBA team.

2. USA was very establish with developing NBA teams when Canada decide to join the League. Europe & Canada had to change court size & rules just so they could learn the NBA. Name one College or University in Canada know for their First Class Basketball camp? It starts at the grass roots. We are still playing catch up on this one!

2. Toronto Media- They put our Players on a Pedestal or in the Gutter base on a handful of games. Don't spoon feed our players. Let them prove their worth with HardWork *instead* of a FreePass.

3. Bonner is Right! We need stability in management. A company's attitude is always reflected from the Top Down. Toronto management changes quicker then USA approval on Obama.

4. Canada??? Surprising when you travel to BIG cities in Europe & USA you can find serious party spots with the scene always FRESH with the times. Canada is a little behind BUT....

Canada IS having it's COMING OUT PARTY right NOW. We are getting recognition right now! Hopefully we can make the BEST of this World Stage we on now and develop a Improved image for Canada. Our *Talented* youth leaves in search of Opportunity. Well in Canada Opportunity is Knockin' right now! We have to offer more in Canada so we can hold on to our youth and develop it in all AREAS of Sports, Business, Medician & Politics.

Oh by the way... I AM CANADIAN! We in Canada have some of the BEST opportunities in the WORLD right now! You just have to grab the bull by the horns and GO!

Canadians have a VERY open mind. Our heritage is made up of Immigrants and we don't pretend to deny it and cover it up like the USA. Everyones Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather in the USA was an immigrant! (Except Native Americans)

Oh Canada, *I* Stand on Guard for Thee!

Comment

Toronto has nothing to do with these players leaving, its the current generations thinking and the need for instant gratification. The winter in toronto is not any different than in New york so I dont want to hear that excuse. I honestly and truly think the people in this city are too down to earth and these guys need cameras and women in their face constantly for them to feel special. stars come through toronto on a regular bases its not a big deal for us and I think they hate that.

Comment

Morons:::

This is why these 2 clowns should be fired for idiocity...do ure research before stating something dumb.
        Raptors for existence have been having problems keeping so called franchise players....why this team never build there franchise the right way until now...u need talented players.
        Attendance raptors is the best in nba and not only that games localy are most viewed 2 only cleveland(which wont be anymore) and Lakers.
        If this franchise does it right way and builds a contender there won't be any issues.
        Winning solves everything.

P.S

I'm soooo sick of this garbage...FFFF Usa..every time when I'm crossing board from States 2 Canada..it's like hell 2 heaven...
        I would never want live in USA,I'll use famous quote from bosh,it smells different..bc USA STINKS!!!
        "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
        My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

This is utter nonsense. The fact we waste our time proving our worth to these players is a joke. Americans are ignorant - plain and simple. Substitute Canada for any other country. Watch some Jay Leno bits on youtube - they don't even know anything about their own country let alone any other.

VC was weak mentally and physically but before he became a puss-bag the Raps lead off the highlights on ESPN every night to see what he did next. He was also the top vote getter in the All-Star Game.

Get a winning and exciting team and the B.S. will stop.

The problem with the Raps has been their drafting since 2003. You get a Iguodala or Granger instead of Rafael or Graham or you get the #1 with a true future franchise player (no offense to Bargs) or luck out with a second round steal (Ellis, Boozer, etc.) or Garbo doesn't blow out his ankle and we are probably not having this discussion.

Comment

i think that there are plenty of women & camera's in T.O so whats that got to do with anything?

the problem is people listen to what others say about canada & think its all bad

like what bosh said " the air smells different" or " it just feels different"

people take that as a bad thing in the USA

but the truth is

the air does smell different. (canadian air smells cleaner)

the country/city is different ( people here are less uptight & less rude & more respectfull of celebs privacy)

the vast majority around the world would say that being different than the USA can be a good thing

Comment

PapiJulio wrote: View Post
              BIGGEST reasons we are NOT a Championship Caliber Team:

1. We are controlled by the votes of MLSE!
              *If* we had a RICH owner willing to SPEND $$$ on building his DreamTeam, we could be competitive. BUT MLSE historically stay near the cap. This is an Investment. Not a NBA team.
              That's not true. During the Carter era where they re-signed Davis, JYD, Alvin Williams, Carter signed an extension and they signed Hakeem "The Dream". Then they had one of the biggest cap numbers in the league.

Yes, a single owner can be good because of what you said but on the flip side there are just as many of them out there who aren't willing to spend like drunken sailors because to them it's only about making money.

Comment

Morons

Those guys are morons anyway. They would not know a world class city if they owned it.
                Let them go on a tour of their favorite American NBA towns to see games at half price or less with crowds just slightly bigger than WNBA games if thy wish ( God knows there are many). Toronto is not only a great city, but a great sports town. The basketball issue is trying to build around egotistical players that could care less about their teams, teamates, or city. That's why they're spewing garbage. They come up with this crap because our so called star went so to be a bitch on a winning team and said our city smells different. Yeah it probably smells alot different without as much descrimination against minorities, and gangs and murders. It smells just fine to meand actually smells alot better now that Miami's new bitch left town.

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                  According to Forbes the Raptors are the 11th most valuabe franchise, ahead of places like Miami (this should change) and Orlando. Also, behind Cleveland which will definetly change. Plus, they've made money almost every year. It's baseball and the CFL that's in trouble in Toronto, not the other sports
                  Unfortunately, when free-agents are picking teams they're not reading Forbes magazine, they're looking at the product on the court.

Comment

I like Mike and Mike. Find them entertaining. They are of course wrong though but let's remember... they are NOT journalists. They are just talking heads. Moreover, they are American talking heads speaking to, for the most part, an American audience.

As I read this forum (and others), what I notice is the distinct lack of maturity. Everyone who does not agree with your point of view is an idiot or a moron or whatever. The constructive thing to do would be to send Mike and Mike an email and constructively give them some things to think about.

Look, you can't say Bosh didn't give it his all here. He gave it a fair chance. Toronto is not for him. Whatever. Let's all move on (as he surely has). But maybe you should appreciate someone like Jose Calderon just a little more instead of doing your best to drive him out of town. Discussing whether or not his salary is proportionate to his production is one thing or whether JJ is a better choice to quarterback this team (not in my opinion) but the lack of respect shown, the use of belittling words, the callous insults, is another. Same goes for Bargnani. I can't imagine why either of those players would want to stay in Toronto. They must be smart enough to stay away from the net. As with the DECISION fiasco, it's all about how you do things.

As a Canadian who does NOT live in a large market, perhaps I have a different perspective. Plus, at 48, hopefully some level of maturity but I have to tell you that reading these forums is somewhat of a chore. And I know it's not just Toronto. I often listen to Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver sports radio stations and they are all pretty much clones of each other.

All I'm saying is to show your cities athletes some respect, regardless of record. And if you don't, well... don't freak out when they choose to leave. There are some legitimate reasons to hate (HWSNBN and Turkoglu for example) but those examples are few and far between.

rant over

now I'll just sit back and wait for Raptors fans to run Calderon, Bargnani and perhaps even Colangelo out of town. Then put the spotlight on Derozan and call him a bust because he's not HWSNBN.

Comment

Toronto is a good city for the NBA (as is Vancouver) they just need a better front office and head coach to make player personnel decisions. This International player/US experiment mix team is the downfall of Raptor basketball and is an insult to TO basketball fans intelligence just like BC hiring Jay Triano as 1st Canadian NBA head coach- good pr but no on court results, instead of bringing in a proven NBA coach to lead the team. Should have never fired Sam so soon at 8-9 (Jay finished up at 25-40) as Jay has done no better even though he had a more talented roster last season than Sam ever had in TO under BC.

It's all mostly hype and very little substance w/ BC in TO.

Comment

Mike and Mike are typical Americans. Americans are the most self centered society that I've ever seen. THats why their society is crumbling from their short sighteness. When your world is bigger then everyone elses world you have become so egotisitical that you can`t see reality. The reality is this world is a big place and that the raptors are highly profitable. Only someone so stupid as mike and mike would recommend moving one of the most profitable franchises in the NBA. Stupid is as stupid does is becoming AMerica`s MOTTO

Comment

winning fixes everything. but,in order to win you need good players... or young,athletic players.

as for american's not wanting to play here and crap because they think it's a frozen wasteland all the time. I just have to say

STFU! shit, i mean the olympics proved were not a wasteland but in some ways did prove we are the frozen part. like shiot we need to hold some internationally televised event in the SUMMER to help educate our friends.

although, I must admit that i think it will help that there are cfl games on the nfl network in the u.s. I mean help educate these people then we know that they actually really are stupid or just plain ignorant.

it's biloni, i don't understand how you can say it's foreign, different then america. i mean sure we are just a slimmer,less populkated version of you. Hell, we need to do something that makes american's jealous something we have that they don't(besides using full capacity of our brains).

In conlusion, the nab doesn't need t ask itself if it wants to be in toronto. but rather Toronto needs to ask itself if it wants to be in the nba.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                            winning fixes everything. but,in order to win you need good players... or young,athletic players.

as for american's not wanting to play here and crap because they think it's a frozen wasteland all the time. I just have to say

STFU! shit, i mean the olympics proved were not a wasteland but in some ways did prove we are the frozen part. like shiot we need to hold some internationally televised event in the SUMMER to help educate our friends.

although, I must admit that i think it will help that there are cfl games on the nfl network in the u.s. I mean help educate these people then we know that they actually really are stupid or just plain ignorant.

it's biloni, i don't understand how you can say it's foreign, different then america. i mean sure we are just a slimmer,less populkated version of you. Hell, we need to do something that makes american's jealous something we have that they don't(besides using full capacity of our brains).

In conlusion, the nab doesn't need t ask itself if it wants to be in toronto. but rather Toronto needs to ask itself if it wants to be in the nba.
                            maybe some one should send Mike & Mike or Cnn or who ever a video of caribana festivities in T.O, every american that celebrates it loves the city & most come every year.
                            mabye would help show americans that were not a bunch of french eskimo's living in igloo's all year LOL
                            Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Thu Jul 29, 2010, 08:32 PM.

Comment

It has nothing to do with any of that. It boils down to one thing: Winning.

You think Utah has a hard time getting top flight guys and keeping them? Have any of you been to Salt Lake City? It's boring as shit there. San Antonio is small. The riverwalk is nice and all, but there's nothing to do there. Same with Phoenix. You know why players like to go there? Because they WIN.

Everyone should stop having a chip on their shoulder. If the Raps were in the playoffs year in and out, you'd always have guys wanting to play here.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                                It has nothing to do with any of that. It boils down to one thing: Winning.

You think Utah has a hard time getting top flight guys and keeping them? Have any of you been to Salt Lake City? It's boring as shit there. San Antonio is small. The riverwalk is nice and all, but there's nothing to do there. Same with Phoenix. You know why players like to go there? Because they WIN.

Everyone should stop having a chip on their shoulder. If the Raps were in the playoffs year in and out, you'd always have guys wanting to play here.
                                its like what came first the chicken or the egg dilema.

you need players to win.

Comment

Working...
                                X