ESPN's Future Power Rankings: Raptors #26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN's Future Power Rankings: Raptors #26

Can't post all of the rankings seeing how this is an ESPN Insider articles, but here's how Ford and Hollinger rate the Raptors heading into next season.

We're down 9 spots this year compared to last when we were ranked #17.

First off, this is how the ranking is determined:

HOW FUTURE POWER RATING IS DETERMINED

PLAYERS (0 to 400 points): Current players and their potential for the future, factoring in expected departures

MANAGEMENT (0 to 200 points): Quality and stability of front office, ownership, coaching

MONEY (0 to 200 points): Projected salary-cap situation; ability and willingness to exceed cap and pay luxury tax

MARKET (0 to 100 points): Appeal to future acquisitions based on team quality, franchise reputation, city's desirability as a destination, market size, taxes, business and entertainment opportunities, arena quality, fans

DRAFT (0 to 100 points): Future draft picks; draft positioning
    And a little of what they had to say about the Raptors;

26. Toronto Raptors | Future Power Rating: 402

PLAYERS - 94 (28th)
    MANAGEMENT - 81 (17th)
    MONEY - 110 (12th)
    MARKET - 47 (16th)
    DRAFT - 70 (9th)

A bolting Bosh wasn't the only factor contributing to Toronto's slide. 2009 free-agent signing Hedo Turkoglu was a major disappointment and was jettisoned to Phoenix after only one season. Meanwhile, the Raptors continue to shop starting point guard Jose Calderon, whom at this point they would be happy to get rid of for salary-cap relief.

Furthermore, the Raptors ate up all their potential cap space by overpaying role players -- in a moment of apparent panic after Bosh's departure, Colangelo inexplicably gave Amir Johnson $34 million. Although the other summer additions, Leandro Barbosa and Linas Kleiza, will contribute, they won't save this sinking ship.

The only good news comes from a couple of young players who appear to have bright futures based on their talent and performances in the 2010 Las Vegas summer league. DeMar DeRozan had a breakout summer and has star ability if he puts it together. Toronto also lucked out when Ed Davis slipped to it at No. 13 in the draft, as he eventually could help fill Bosh's shoes.
    Source - Click here

Interesting that they are 16th in market. Kind of goes against players not wanting to come here to some degree.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

This ranking is a big waste of time.

Comment

So we lose two players (1 I assume they thought wasn't staying this time last year), have a solid draft and drop 9 places? That sounds...sensible :/

Comment

I can't stand Hollinger and his hate on for the Raptors. The only ESPN analyst I like is coach thorpe.
          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            This ranking is a big waste of time.

+10
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

ya at least were not last on desirability. we should slap hedo in the face with that stat sheet
              ya dun noe

Comment

This all sounds about right to me. I don't know what you guys are on.
                Joshua Priemski
                NBA blogger
                SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                www.RufusOnFire.com/
                www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

I wouldn't call this Ranking outrageous at all, its either this young core will get it and at the best win 35 games or really not get it and at worse win 20 games.

There is no way this team is going to sneak into the playoffs this season.

Comment

Working...
                  X