View Poll Results: Is Curry the best PG ever?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 18.18%
  • No

    9 81.82%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Best Point Guard of All Time - Steph Curry

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Best Point Guard of All Time - Steph Curry

    If I were trying to put together the best possible lineup, to fight for the survival of the human species, I'd go with the current version of Steph Curry. He's got the MVP, a championship, and is well on his way to a 2nd MVP and a 2nd championship, and one of the (if not the) winningest seasons ever, along with some of the most productive (shooting and in general) seasons ever. Then you can get into the skill package...

    Obviously career legacy is a different conversation (where few can get to John Stockton in terms of productivity and longevity) though I'm sure it will be brought up here. Even then you get to the question of championships where Steph already has a lead on most of the greatest point guards in history.

    But what do you think, do you take Curry #1 if you were drafting a PG? Maybe there's an argument that you could draft Lebron to play the 1...
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Sat Dec 5th, 2015 at 05:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star Cody73's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Oshawa
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Skywalker, I say no.


    Here's why Curry isn't: He's not a true PG. As much as people love to consider him a great player, his assists totals are lower than most you'd put next to him in terms of the best PG conversation.



    Assists are the most important when looking at a PG, IMO. But I will admit Curry is a great guard and easily the top 5 for Guards (Guys who played PG that were better suited as SG's.)
    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Cody73 wrote: View Post
    Skywalker, I say no.


    Here's why Curry isn't: He's not a true PG. As much as people love to consider him a great player, his assists totals are lower than most you'd put next to him in terms of the best PG conversation.



    Assists are the most important when looking at a PG, IMO. But I will admit Curry is a great guard and easily the top 5 for Guards (Guys who played PG that were better suited as SG's.)
    GSW dont play a system that rewards the PG, like SAS. Rondo gets alot of assists but he isnt a better passer. GSW and SAS move the ball alot so Parker and Curry might not get an assist but they helped keep the ball or defense moving

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar tDotted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think you forgot about a guy named Magic Johnson. He played for the Lakers from the 80s to the 90s. He was pretty good.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    still magic

  6. Like Snooch liked this post
  7. #6
    Super Moderator Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    9,201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Magic. His versatility would be even better leveraged in today's game than it was in the 80s/90s.

    Curry is probably the best shooter of all time but Magic could literally do it all.
    I'm 100 percent right 9.090909090909090 percent of the time

    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

  8. Like Hotshot, Snooch, Dr. James Naismith liked this post
  9. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Cody73's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Oshawa
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Magic. His versatility would be even better leveraged in today's game than it was in the 80s/90s.

    Curry is probably the best shooter of all time but Magic could literally do it all.
    There's a fair argument.
    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!

  10. #8
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Since the Jordan era, there are only a handful of even notable PG on title or finals teams

  11. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If I wanted a big point guard I'd take Lebron over Magic.

    To call Steph Curry "not a true point guard" is the height of ridiculousness.

  12. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar tDotted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    If I wanted a big point guard I'd take Lebron over Magic.

    To call Steph Curry "not a true point guard" is the height of ridiculousness.


    ..

    I think you just set a new "height of ridiculousness" with that one. Quit playing 2K.

  13. Like DrOctagon, Just Is, KeonClark, Axel liked this post
  14. #11
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,595
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This guy ends this discussion right now.


  15. Like KeonClark, Axel liked this post
  16. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Since the Jordan era, there are only a handful of even notable PG on title or finals teams
    parker
    billups
    kidd
    curry
    do we count kyrie from last year? if not later this year should be ok
    westbrook
    anyone else?

    i am thinking only after jordan so no payton/penny

  17. #13
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    parker
    billups
    kidd
    curry
    do we count kyrie from last year? if not later this year should be ok
    westbrook
    anyone else?

    i am thinking only after jordan so no payton/penny
    really stoned right now but Isiah Thomas might be the only PG who led a team to a championship run, Billups im not sure led the Pistons except as a leader and just a piece otherwise, likewise Kidd. Nash, MVP worthy or not was a key to the Suns. How many PG finished in the top 5 for MVP since 1980?

  18. #14
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Only 2 PG have ever won league MVP before Curry, Magic and Nash

  19. #15
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    forgot Rose

  20. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    6,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Cody73 wrote: View Post
    Skywalker, I say no.

    Here's why Curry isn't: He's not a true PG. As much as people love to consider him a great player, his assists totals are lower than most you'd put next to him in terms of the best PG conversation.

    Assists are the most important when looking at a PG, IMO. But I will admit Curry is a great guard and easily the top 5 for Guards(Guys who played PG that were better suited as SG's.)
    What a stupid thing to say. No offence. The bottomline is he's a PG. He's been the Warriors PG since day 1. So whether you like it or not he's a PG.

    Anyways, greatest PG of all time IMO is Magic.

  21. #17
    Super Moderator Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    9,201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    If I wanted a big point guard I'd take Lebron over Magic.

    To call Steph Curry "not a true point guard" is the height of ridiculousness.
    Except LeBron isn't a point guard and Magic is. So one is a big point guard and one is a big player with guard like skills. Not remotely the same thing.
    I'm 100 percent right 9.090909090909090 percent of the time

    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

  22. Like tDotted, KeonClark liked this post
  23. #18
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Magic. His versatility would be even better leveraged in today's game than it was in the 80s/90s.

    Curry is probably the best shooter of all time but Magic could literally do it all.
    I believe he played all 5 positions at some time in the NBA. And a great leader too.

  24. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Skywalker, I usually don't mind your content, but your first post failed to even mention Magic and your next one said you'd rather have Lebron at PG than Magic.

    You were either really stoned when you made these posts or you think the NBA started roughly the same time as twitter did.
    I'm in LOVE with CA-BO-CLO!

  25. Like DrOctagon, tDotted, Just Is, Axel liked this post
  26. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I believe he played all 5 positions at some time in the NBA. And a great leader too.
    Couldn't shoot a lick from 3 for most of his 20s though. Don't think I'd draft a player with that big of a hole in their game to face the Martians. (Actually he's another guy who figured out how to shoot the long ball only later in his career at age 28, thinking of DeMar's struggles here).

    I just find it interesting that this discussion never really gets brought up re: Curry. Hallowed ground with the likes of Magic and Stockton, but there were GOAT talk around Lebron from day 1. If this season continues to go historically well for GSW, I think we'll hear more.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •