View Poll Results: Grade Bargnani's game.

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

9 7.09%
  • B

47 37.01%
  • C

30 23.62%
  • D

18 14.17%
  • F

23 18.11%
Page 362 of 527 FirstFirst ... 262 312 352 360 361 362 363 364 372 412 462 ... LastLast
Results 7,221 to 7,240 of 10537

Thread: Everything Bargnani: The Legend Continues

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    I didn't raise the point to bash Bargnani and I don't disagree that Mitchell's relationship with Bargs was contentious and I am sure Bargs was happy to see him go. The point I was trying to make is that whenever I hear stuff like, "best shape of my life!" "whole new player" "better than I ever felt before" "really worked on my game this offseason" "the lockeroom has the best chemistry ever" I just take it all with a grain of salt. This stuff is said every year in all 30 organizations and is usually bullshit. The best coach is always the next one, the best offseason is always next year and the best roster is always just around the corner...
    Very true.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't raise the point to bash Bargnani and I don't disagree that Mitchell's relationship with Bargs was contentious and I am sure Bargs was happy to see him go. The point I was trying to make is that whenever I hear stuff like, "best shape of my life!" "whole new player" "better than I ever felt before" "really worked on my game this offseason" "the lockeroom has the best chemistry ever" I just take it all with a grain of salt. This stuff is said every year in all 30 organizations and is usually bullshit. The best coach is always the next one, the best offseason is always next year and the best roster is always just around the corner...
    All fair points.

The truth is rarely said in the here and now. When changes are made, the truth comes out. When looking forward, nothing bad can or will happen.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

chicago bulls 1993 and again 98

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

hahaha that is so true. But i guess for this season, you can actually make Bargnani an exception because we have all seen how much he's improved. And next season, with a full camp and full practices, we might be in for another round of "best".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    hahaha that is so true. But i guess for this season, you can actually make Bargnani an exception because we have all seen how much he's improved. And next season, with a full camp and full practices, we might be in for another round of "best".
    Honest question: what specific parts of Bargnani's game have improved? His shooting percentages are in line with or below his career averages. His rebounding numbers are at his career average. The only statistical differences I can see are: he's shooting about 5% better from the free throw line and he's made a negligible improvement to his assist numbers. Defensively, his DRTG is back to where it was under Sam Mitchell. I don't know how much of this is attributable to Bargnani cause: the Raptors play at a glacial pace and everyone else's DRTG is better, too.

Now, stats aren't everything, so I am ready to be convinced that others are seeing with their eyes a "new" Bargnani. To my eye, he looks pretty much the same as the Bargnani from last year and the year before that and the year before that. There isn't a long history of guys showing vast improvements in Year 7 of of a NBA career, so I expect the same guy next year.

What am I missing?

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

...What am I missing?
    His help defence is tremendously improved. His defensive numbers get hurt when the rotations don't cover his guy while he is showing at the top of the key. I would say he is taking it to the basket more as well. Part of the numbers are skewed, I believe, because he came back too soon form his injury, then had that abysmal stretch of 10 games or so before he got back to playing well. Obviously a lot of the excitement is due to folks believing that he should be judged on the string of 13 good games, instead of the string of 10 bad ones when he returned form injury and didn't appear to be fully recovered.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    His help defence is tremendously improved.
    Not sure if I agree with this. He definitely hedges harder when defending PNRs, but if he's the last man standing under the basket, his help defense is just as poor as it's always been.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Not sure if I agree with this. He definitely hedges harder when defending PNRs, but if he's the last man standing under the basket, his help defense is just as poor as it's always been.
    If you're the last man standing under the basket, you're not providing help, you're looking for it. :-)

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Andrea Bargnani is out for the rest of the season, according to BleacherReport from a tweet from Marc Spears! I guess Raptors are starting tanking from here on now :/
    Last edited by Blacklash2k4; Fri Apr 13th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bargnani done for year

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    Andrea Bargnani is out for the rest of the season, according to BleacherReport from a tweet from Marc Spears! I guess Raptors are starting tanking from here on now :/
    Right you are:

The Toronto Raptors announced Friday centre-forward Andrea Bargnani will miss the remainder of the 2011-12 season. He exited Sunday’s game in Oklahoma City at the 4:03 mark of the second quarter with left calf tightness.

Based on tests taken yesterday on his left calf and the reoccurrence of previous symptoms, Bargnani will be sidelined to eliminate any further risk.

Bargnani has averaged a team-high 19.5 points, with 5.5 rebounds and 33.3 minutes in 31 games. He led the team in scoring 13 times and recorded five games of 30 or more points. He missed 26 games with a left calf strain and one with left calf tightness.

http://blog.raptors.com/press-releases/bargnani_041312/

Post Thanks / Like

If only it was earlier and calderon was out too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default *Gasp*

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    If only it was earlier and calderon was out too.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting quote from Casey, as taken from the Toronto Star.

"Casey said his first up-close and personal look at Bargnani after seeing him as an opposing coach was enlightening. He was impressed by Bargnani’s “ability to play defence, his quickness and speed at the defensive end . . . pick-and-roll coverages.

“Just using his length on the defensive end. I had never seen it, but I saw it. He showed it and as my grandfather said, ‘He told on himself.’

“I know now he can do it, so that’s going to be the command coming back in next year.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...-celtics-84-79

Post Thanks / Like

This is nothing new, every coach has said they've seen him do it. Even Bargnani said he can do it.

The problem is/was that he's lazy. But, if he says Casey has got him to commit good for him.

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Interesting quote from Casey, as taken from the Toronto Star.

"Casey said his first up-close and personal look at Bargnani after seeing him as an opposing coach was enlightening. He was impressed by Bargnani’s “ability to play defence, his quickness and speed at the defensive end . . . pick-and-roll coverages.

“Just using his length on the defensive end. I had never seen it, but I saw it. He showed it and as my grandfather said, ‘He told on himself.’

“I know now he can do it, so that’s going to be the command coming back in next year.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...-celtics-84-79
    Notice how he talks about only defensive screens and picknroll coverages. Nothing about Bargnani challenging a bigman in the post or protecting his basket against guards.

Besides what do you expect a coach to say about your best player? That he is no good on the other end?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    Notice how he talks about only defensive screens and picknroll coverages. Nothing about Bargnani challenging a bigman in the post or protecting his basket against guards.

Besides what do you expect a coach to say about your best player? That he is no good on the other end?
    Considering the primary offensive weapon in the NBA is the pick and roll, that is a pretty big component of defense and a compliment to Bargnani's contribution.

Will he ever bang with the bangers? No.

Will he ever be a help side shot blocker? No.

Will he ever be a great rebounder (or good)? No (no).

Is he utterly useless defensively? No.

He is what he is. I hope he can be healthy next year and contribute to a winning Raptors team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    ...He is what he is. I hope he can be healthy next year and contribute to a winning Raptors team.
    He is a pretty good face-up defender as well. As you have mentioned in the past Matt.

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They need to show videos of Bargnani's non-13 game self to Bargnani to show him how not to play

http://biffbampop.files.wordpress.co...exludovico.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is becoming a very good time capsule of Raptors fans emotions towards Bargnani.

Thread Information