View Poll Results: Grade Bargnani's game.

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

9 7.03%
  • B

47 36.72%
  • C

30 23.44%
  • D

19 14.84%
  • F

23 17.97%
Page 375 of 528 FirstFirst ... 275 325 365 373 374 375 376 377 385 425 475 ... LastLast
Results 7,481 to 7,500 of 10552

Thread: Everything Bargnani: The Legend Continues

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    When I hear the phrase "in great shape" being spoken in professional sports, the first thing that comes to mind is stamina (as in, ready to play the game without getting tired).

It seems deceptive to speak of "great shape" in terms of strength and muscle if it doesn't translate to on-court production.

But that's just me...
    I agree, but, you could argue that Dwane Casey sees and is correct along the lines of the used terminology. Who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    I'm not worried about Bargs. So far this season I have seen a commitment to defence (him and JV play great together) and Bargs getting into the positions he needs to get to on offence. The shot will come.
    Bargnani did not play great defense tonight, but he had instances, where they both challenged inside shots (Andrea accounted for the block). Two 7 footers, if both 100% healthy, conditioned, and giving all out effort, we could match up with the league's best.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Bargnani did not play great defense tonight, but he had instances, where they both challenged inside shots (Andrea accounted for the block). Two 7 footers, if both 100% healthy, conditioned, and giving all out effort, we could match up with the league's best.
    i think i am one of the biggest bargs' homers on the site here and agree somewhat with this. what i am seeing from bargs on defense in the low post is a player completely unsure of his job. you can watch him start to hedge from the weak side to help but then he seems to remember he has a man too. he then pulls back onto his own man. i'm not sure if that is because his instinct is to leave his man and then his brain tells him his coach wants him to box out and cover his own man or if coach wants him to help but he isn't sure someone has his back if he leaves position.

that said he played really bad on offense this last game. i will take low scoring nights if he is taking it to the hole even on two step runners away from the basket but spot up shooting is wasting his talents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i think i am one of the biggest bargs' homers on the site here and agree somewhat with this. what i am seeing from bargs on defense in the low post is a player completely unsure of his job. you can watch him start to hedge from the weak side to help but then he seems to remember he has a man too. he then pulls back onto his own man. i'm not sure if that is because his instinct is to leave his man and then his brain tells him his coach wants him to box out and cover his own man or if coach wants him to help but he isn't sure someone has his back if he leaves position.

that said he played really bad on offense this last game. i will take low scoring nights if he is taking it to the hole even on two step runners away from the basket but spot up shooting is wasting his talents.
    He's seriously unconditioned. Anyways, I used to play defense like that too. I'm unsure, whether to help out, or to stay on my man.

BUT, now I know. He has to realize where he has to be on the court, depending on the location of the ball. ex: If ball is on the wing, and I'm defending my man on the wing, I've got be ready for the help baseline. I think Bargnani just doesn't have a clear idea on "where do I have to be, when the ball is there?" That's what I've really noticed. I don't think he is a bad defender at all, he shows instances WHEN he is in the proper position, and giving 100%.

Offense will come, we know how good he can be when he's aggressive.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

is it just me or was there a bit of a difference in AB's defense last night possibly because of the fact that he now has someone to live up to?

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    is it just me or was there a bit of a difference in AB's defense last night possibly because of the fact that he now has someone to live up to?
    I don't think it's "living up to"... more like he realizes he has to try and be a "mentor" to Jonas.

TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
    I don't think it's "living up to"... more like he realizes he has to try and be a "mentor" to Jonas.

great chisholm quote. haha but it is nice to see bargs give a shit about the young guys

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Some people still don't understand the things Bargnani does well on defense. Some of these things that he does well are the precisely the things that Valanciunus has gotten a lot of fouls for last year (and in the Olympics).

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey on Bargnani:

“I’m going to push him and pull him as much as I can,” Raptors coach Dwane Casey said. “But it’s up to Andrea. The talent is there. He’s the only guy that can pull it out from himself. I think every method in the world, every scenario has been played for him for this organization.
    The bolded part is subtle, yet telling. Like Eric Koreen is suggesting could this be Bargnani's make-or-break year in Toronto?

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...-with-raptors/
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Casey on Bargnani:

The bolded part is subtle, yet telling. Like Eric Koreen is suggesting could this be Bargnani's make-or-break year in Toronto?

That is very interesting. Casey has always been extremely optimistic talking about Bargnani. That quote, if not taken out of context, is not very optimistic.

I do hope this is the make or break season with Bargnani. I have been a big fan, deserter, big fan again, and now I'm becoming indifferent if not tired - actually maybe tired is a much better word.

Post Thanks / Like

Casey on Bargnani:

I've always been a Bargnani supporter, but I could easily see this year being a make-or-break year for him, with both Casey and BC. I think Bargnani and DeRozan both have lots to prove, otherwise they could both be substantial trade chips in the offseason (possibly at the deadline, but less likely IMO).

This could be the season and ensuing offseason where we see BC finally make some serious moves to turn the team from rebuilding/building/treadmill into a contender. If Valanciunas and Lowry prove themselves to be what everybody expects them to be, and the combination of Ross & Fields prove themselves to provide strength/depth at the SG position, than that is 3/5 starting spots and 4/6 top rotation players set. I could see BC making some significant moves to trade DeRozan & Bargnani (and Davis) to address the starting SF position. I could even see him completely blowing up the PF position (Bargnani, Amir, Davis, Acy) and pursuing a strong defensive/rebounding PF via trade or free agency, as that would complement a lineup of Valanciunas, star scoring SF, Fields/Ross and Lowry.

This is the first time where I sense that big changes could be in store for this team, with regards to some long-standing players (ie: Calderon, Bargnani and DeRozan), especially if some of the new and/or young guys prove themselves this season.

Post Thanks / Like

This got overlooked on Wednesday, probably because of Val's offensive foul.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't seem to edit the earlier post, so here's the link:

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/201...SBLOCK-2251828

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I've always been a Bargnani supporter, but I could easily see this year being a make-or-break year for him, with both Casey and BC. I think Bargnani and DeRozan both have lots to prove, otherwise they could both be substantial trade chips in the offseason (possibly at the deadline, but less likely IMO).

This could be the season and ensuing offseason where we see BC finally make some serious moves to turn the team from rebuilding/building/treadmill into a contender. If Valanciunas and Lowry prove themselves to be what everybody expects them to be, and the combination of Ross & Fields prove themselves to provide strength/depth at the SG position, than that is 3/5 starting spots and 4/6 top rotation players set. I could see BC making some significant moves to trade DeRozan & Bargnani (and Davis) to address the starting SF position. I could even see him completely blowing up the PF position (Bargnani, Amir, Davis, Acy) and pursuing a strong defensive/rebounding PF via trade or free agency, as that would complement a lineup of Valanciunas, star scoring SF, Fields/Ross and Lowry.

This is the first time where I sense that big changes could be in store for this team, with regards to some long-standing players (ie: Calderon, Bargnani and DeRozan), especially if some of the new and/or young guys prove themselves this season.
    And so it should be. What have the Raps actually done with these players in key roles?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    And so it should be. What have the Raps actually done with these players in key roles?
    Very true. In the case of DeRozan and Bargnani (and Davis too) they always had the "young with potential" argument to fall back on. This year, however, they have a much improved roster, each player is healthy and still the focal point, plus they have had a full training camp after getting familiar with their new coach last season... I see little room for further excuses.

The key additions of Lowry, Fields, Valanciunas and Ross, along with DeRozan's expiring contract and the looming arrival of the new CBA, are all coming together in a sort of perfect storm for BC to get aggressive at the deadline and next offseason, assuming he gets extended.

Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And so far in the pre-season, even though he has been struggling offensively, his defence has looked fine. [Eric Koreen]

“That’s evidence of growth, because there are going to be nights where teams take you out of what you want to do,” Casey said. “But you still have to give it to us defensively and also rebounding. Andrea’s done that. That’s where his growth is. But we need him on both ends. We need him offensively because we’re going to go as far as he takes us.”

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Found this video on realgm.. by a poster who apparently hates Bargnani:

... of course the video was edited to make a point, however it's disheartening to see Bargnani's lack of effort in situations, when you can see JV busting his ass in the same take. It is preseason, and Bargnani is the only guy guaranteed a starting spot, which could be why he's playing the way he is - at least I hope that's the case.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahahahahaaaaa! That video was downright hysterical! I've seen grade school players with a firmer understanding of weak-side defence.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm not ready to give up on DeRozan just yet. Bargnani on the other hand, i am. If he doesn't play like an all star then get can gtfo.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish Derozan had played as well as Bargnani tonight. Would have spanked the Knicks by 20 points.

Thread Information