View Poll Results: Grade Bargnani's game.

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    9 7.03%
  • B

    47 36.72%
  • C

    30 23.44%
  • D

    19 14.84%
  • F

    23 17.97%
Page 369 of 528 FirstFirst ... 269 319 359 367 368 369 370 371 379 419 469 ... LastLast
Results 7,361 to 7,380 of 10549

Thread: Everything Bargnani: The Legend Continues

  1. #7361
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I like this news too. Bargnani's been very patriotic since joining the Raptors, so this couldn't have been an easy decision for him.

    Aside from the obvious physical benefits associated with skipping the Olympics, I'm encouraged about Bargnani's state of mind (i.e. being 100% committed to the Raptors).
    (As far as I know) Italy didn't qualify for the Olympics and doesn't participate in a qualifying tournament before. The only thing Bargnani skipped out on is a qualifying tournament for the European Championship (in 2013). It's not like he skipped a big tournament and this is probably why he did it.

  2. #7362
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    (As far as I know) Italy didn't qualify for the Olympics and doesn't participate in a qualifying tournament before. The only thing Bargnani skipped out on is a qualifying tournament for the European Championship (in 2013). It's not like he skipped a big tournament and this is probably why he did it.
    Is Italy good enough to qualify without him?

    Honestly, when it comes to qualifications and individual countries, I am pretty ignorant on European basketball.

    Either way though, assuming Bargnani is working on his body and game, I am ecstatic about this news.

  3. #7363
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Is Italy good enough to qualify without him?

    Honestly, when it comes to qualifications and individual countries, I am pretty ignorant on European basketball.

    Either way though, assuming Bargnani is working on his body and game, I am ecstatic about this news.
    A lot of countries qualify, 24, so I assume they will qualify. The qualifying rounds are also very late in the summer, in september which probably is a factor in the decision as well.

  4. #7364
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,872
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    between him, Gallo, and Bellini im sure they'd be able to at least qualify.
    @jerboat

  5. #7365
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,249
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I read recently that not every international player wants to go back and play for their country. That a lot of them just play because of national pride or a sense of feeling like they must.

    That's why I wish they would make the rules for the Olympics 25 and under and keep it more associated with what it should be...amateur athletics.

  6. #7366
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    I read recently that not every international player wants to go back and play for their country. That a lot of them just play because of national pride or a sense of feeling like they must.

    That's why I wish they would make the rules for the Olympics 25 and under and keep it more associated with what it should be...amateur athletics.
    Not sure I understand how age contributes to amateur athletics.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  7. #7367
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And I have no idea why it 'should be' amateurs. An Olympics without any top athlete in all sports would be plain silly and nobody would care or watch because none of em would be amateurs (except for all the Chinese ...).

  8. #7368
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    I read recently that not every international player wants to go back and play for their country. That a lot of them just play because of national pride or a sense of feeling like they must.

    That's why I wish they would make the rules for the Olympics 25 and under and keep it more associated with what it should be...amateur athletics.
    We often think of many types of athletes as amateur that are not. Track athletes get paid appearance fees and take home some big money in international competitions, don't forget about endorsements as well. Some sports are less high profile and not much money is made, but most, if not all athletes at the Olympics are true amateurs.

  9. #7369
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    We often think of many types of athletes as amateur that are not. Track athletes get paid appearance fees and take home some big money in international competitions, don't forget about endorsements as well. Some sports are less high profile and not much money is made, but most, if not all athletes at the Olympics are true amateurs.
    I agree. I've never understood how professional NBA/NHL players could compete at the Olympics. I also recall some pretty big names in various sports renouncing their amateur status to turn pro (ie: get paid), only to decide to return to the Olympics many years later, which never made sense to me either. To me, Olympics should either be fully amateur, or open it up to everybody so you can actually call it 'the best against the best'.

  10. #7370
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,249
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Not sure I understand how age contributes to amateur athletics.
    i was really just setting an arbitrary cap to ensure that even if professionals played they wouldn't necessarily be the top seasoned ones in their primes

  11. #7371
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,249
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Not sure I understand how age contributes to amateur athletics.
    i was really just setting an arbitrary cap to ensure that even if professionals played they wouldn't necessarily be the top seasoned ones in their primes

  12. #7372
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As a fan, I would much rather watch "the best against the best". I don't have any particular motivation in maintaining the amateur status.

    I enjoy watching the Crosbys and LeBrons representing their countries.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  13. #7373
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I agree. I've never understood how professional NBA/NHL players could compete at the Olympics. I also recall some pretty big names in various sports renouncing their amateur status to turn pro (ie: get paid), only to decide to return to the Olympics many years later, which never made sense to me either. To me, Olympics should either be fully amateur, or open it up to everybody so you can actually call it 'the best against the best'.
    I actually heard that Stern wants to create an age limit for basketball players to be 23 and under for the Olympics and the Worlds.. that way guys that are older than 23 don't get wiped out by having to play NBA ball all season, and then international ball in the summer every two years. Not sure if it will actually happen, but I personally like that idea.

    Here is a link to the story:
    http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/05...-the-olympics/

  14. #7374
    Raptors Republic All-Star themasao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,021
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    Sometimes I forget how skilled Andrea is for a 7 footer. Those are some serious handles.

  15. #7375
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote themasao wrote: View Post


    Sometimes I forget how skilled Andrea is for a 7 footer. Those are some serious handles.
    Is that the Hoopdome? it looks strikingly similar. Not enough people appreciate Andrea and what he does, the guy is seriously talented.

  16. #7376
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the reason andrea wasn't an all star in his second or 3rd year in the league is because we had bosh and cause sam mitchell was a retard. Dwane casey would have had him playing like dirk in his 2nd year

  17. #7377
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm very excited about the news, but the decision must've been one hell of a hard one for Primo Pasta and Sauce...

    It's good for him though, he needs to worry about rehabbing off the injury even though he said he was feeling good, and needs to continue on his game. I would like to see a bit more conditioned Andrea come season.

  18. #7378
    Raptors Republic All-Star themasao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,021
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tesla wrote: View Post
    Is that the Hoopdome? it looks strikingly similar. Not enough people appreciate Andrea and what he does, the guy is seriously talented.
    I was thinking the same thing. Those adds in the back especially look like hoopdome. Kinda odd that he would rent out the whole facility to use one net though!

  19. #7379
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just found my summer workout routine, except from 20 feet closer.

  20. #7380
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bargnani taking the summer off to condition his body is the best case scenario. It shows maturity and accountability to the Raptors.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •