Thread: Out with the old....coach that is

Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Out with the old....coach that is

Happy New Year!

Some NBA coach for sure is part of his GM's New Years resolutions and not in a good way. Someone's going to get canned and it will probably happen sooner than later. So who's going to be #1?

Candidates:

Brett Brown. Worst record in the NBA. Usually that's not a good thing for job security, but this is not a usual situation. Seems to be meeting his GM's expectations - team growth, atmosphere about as positive as it can be. Job security not at Pops level, but chance of being 1st coach canned under 1%.

Derek Fisher. Hand picked by Phil to bring the triangle offence to New York. He's done that, just not in any way that can be described as successfully. Has Melo the "superstar" who RPM still rates as one of the 10 best offensive players in the NBA this season. It also rates him as one of the 10 worst defensive players. Unfortunately for Fisher, RPM rates a total of 5 Knicks among the 33 worst NBA defenders and with the return of Bargnani,you just know it will soon be 6. No other team has more than 3 players in this pile of defensive dung. Some of this is ability ( no coach can turn Calderon into a plus defender), but there must be an element of effort, or lack thereof, involved and that is very much on the coach..

Flip Saunders - team stinks and is at the bottom of the conference, but he's also president and part owner of the TWolves. May leave coaching, but it won't be termination.

Stan Van Gundy - Coach and GM - see above

Steve Clifford - Last year he was part of the new generation of great young coaches. Now? Previous season's success should buy him time, no?

Byron Scott - Has won COY, but that was 7 yrs ago and has little success since. Let Kobe almost singlehandedly kill any hope this season, but has stood up for Kobe publicly. Which is a good thing for job security since Jeanie Buss the owner is still a huge Kobe fan.

Jacque Vaughn - 3rd year now - team is improving at a snails pace. How acceptable is that to upper management?

Tyrone Corbin - Ranadive wouldn't fire a guy he just hired, would he? I mean Ranadive is a patient, sensible owner, no?

Brian Shaw - 2nd year, with little improvement. Cheapskate owner seems OK with selling shoddy merchandise and may balk at paying (or underpaying) 2 coaches for the year and a half Shaw still his on his contract.

David Blatt - High expectations - mediocre results. Seems to be a failure to buy in from at least part of the team: sucks for Blatt that part seems to include Lebron. Silver lining for Blatt - weather in Tel Aviv better than Cleveland this time of year.

Dwane Casey - 3 ways he could lose his job. 1) McHappy buys MLSE. 2) McHappy replaces Leiweke 3) McHappy replace Ujiri.

My "winner" is David Blatt. No idea who Lebron will chose to replace him though. Oh wait, did I say Lebron? I meant the GM whoever that is, you know, the guy who answers to Lebron.

Which coach do you think will win the "Shown the Door" Prize?
    Last edited by 3inthekeon; Thu Jan 1st, 2015 at 09:41 AM.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol

mcHAPPY would let Casey have this season at least.

He is a fine coach for right now.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Lol

mcHAPPY would let Casey have this season at least.

He is a fine coach for right now.
    Dwane breaths a sigh of relief.

So which coach gets canned 1st??
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Dwane breaths a sigh of relief.

So which coach gets canned 1st??
    Mike Malone

I would say Monty Williams or Brian Shaw.
    #Relax

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Mike Malone

I would say Monty Williams or Brian Shaw.
    Who knows, could be Ty Corbin....After all, he's not really been the "jazz director" offensive coach Ranadive wants....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Who knows, could be Ty Corbin....After all, he's not really been the "jazz director" offensive coach Ranadive wants....
    I was thinking the same thing. I wonder what the record is for most fired head coaches being paid by one team concurrently?

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just for giggles...implausible as it maybe, Jim Dolan will wake up one morning with a hangover and fire Fisher (unbeknownst to Jackson). Phil will then have a mini coronary, claim breach of his contract and resign. Dolan turns to Isiah Thomas. Nothing is impossible with the Knicks.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Should be Vaughn and Shaw. Scott and Fischer are getting a freebie year or two. Blatt 50-50

9. Like bryan colangelo liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star bryan colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor David Blatt. Would be great developing a young team with lower expectations.

Raptors Republic All-Star Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

With LeBron out two weeks and Al Jefferson out a month, I think it'll be a race between Blatt and Clifford as to who is fired first.

I'd say Vaughn and Shaw are also in the mix, just depends on how Orlando and Denver want to finish out the season (ie. start over now or in the offseason). I expect Monty Williams will probably take the fall if the Pelicans don't make the playoffs this year.

Fisher and Scott are probably too new to get dumped this fast, given that no one really had any expectations for either squad given their talent levels.

Brett Brown is totally safe imo. He's got the Sixers in the top 10 in D with a joke of a roster.

As for Dwane Casey, he's guaranteed safe unless our chemistry somehow implodes and he totally loses the locker room, which I don't see happening at all given our strong stable of character guys. That said, I think the playoffs will show again that he isn't a playoff coach. That's where coaching really reveals itself. Even at that point I think Masai will stick with Casey for another year and playoffs, because he is big on continuity.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the winner of the "1st Coach Fired Award" is going to be Jacque Vaughn.

And there's talk of Scott Skiles replacing him. That should be...interesting.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...hn-sources-say

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Looks like the winner of the "1st Coach Fired Award" is going to be Jacque Vaughn.

And there's talk of Scott Skiles replacing him. That should be...interesting.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...hn-sources-say
    Orlando with a decent coach is trouble

Thread Information