Thread: The Rondo - Carlisle dustup (during the Raptors game)

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Rondo - Carlisle dustup (during the Raptors game)

So, what does everyone think of the coach - player (in this case PG) dynamic in Dallas and how it played out. In my mind there are 2 major issues here: 1) Who is in charge of the team on the court 2) Player response/inter action with coach.

This issue is more "dynamic" because of the 2 "combatants"...Carlisle & Rondo both very high level/all star type individuals and further compounded by the fact that some major resources were exchanged for Rondo a soon to be UFA.

There is also some resonance here to some of the coach & player discussions on this board re the Raptors. How does Casey interact with his players...is he too easy...should he exert more play discipline...should he sit certain players for inadequate play. Clearly these were issues in the Mavs incident and I would argue the stakes much larger.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey may challenge his players in private. Rick had luxury of having a hot bench in that game and regained the lead so Rondo was somewhat ineffective. Maybe Dwanye would need to exert more control as much as we like Kyle he is turning the ball over way more than he was when we winning. Hopefully such a confrontation is not needed but it just may. Kyle admits to not playing well.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rightsideup wrote: View Post
    Casey may challenge his players in private. Rick had luxury of having a hot bench in that game and regained the lead so Rondo was somewhat ineffective. Maybe Dwanye would need to exert more control as much as we like Kyle he is turning the ball over way more than he was when we winning. Hopefully such a confrontation is not needed but it just may. Kyle admits to not playing well.
    Carlisle is like a strict teacher lots of homework and no fun. Casey is the fun teachers who let's student do whatever they want but when they need to take the SAT or MCAT he is nowhere. Guys are now in trouble and need a coach with a gameplan, plays and a clue.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rondo is the most overrated PG of this era.
    "Analytics DON'T work at all. It's some crap that people that are really smart made up to get in the game. Bunch of smart guys who have never played. The NBA is about TALENT" - Charles Barkley #Truth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Carlisle is like a strict teacher lots of homework and no fun. Casey is the fun teachers who let's student do whatever they want but when they need to take the SAT or MCAT he is nowhere. Guys are now in trouble and need a coach with a gameplan, plays and a clue.
    Not entirely sure about the bold...but he certainly feels that a head coach must be in control in how the team plays. And this is uniform for all. He has a hall of famer (Dirk) who conforms, Chandler who plays as asked, Monta who has changed his game and had a bad rep previously and now arrives Rondo who feels (from what I have read) like bucking the trend it would seem. Having been benched at an end of a game before I am sure they have had a conversation on how its going to be...Carlisle calls the plays and the pg follows it. Clearly, him not doing this pissed Carlisle. He just cant allow this to happen. Period.

Wonder what happens after the season...does Rondo stay and sign...or walk.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Rondos personality is the weakest component of his skill set and accordingly boston beleived he was not the leader to build around. Dallas will give up on him if his behavior continues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote rightsideup wrote: View Post
    I think Rondos personality is the weakest component of his skill set and accordingly boston beleived he was not the leader to build around. Dallas will give up on him if his behavior continues.
    He certainly has a volatile one it seems. But I'd be interested if he was always like that or did he become more forceful once he started winning. If I remember correctly the winning came when KG & Allen joined with Pierce & Rondo & Perkins. As I mentioned earlier Dallas has invested quite a bit in his acquisition so its going to be a difficult decision to let him go (and he still doesnt have the outside shot!). And yes, he is playing for his next/last big contract. Some of these players live too much in a bubble.

Thread Information