Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tbihis wrote: View Post
    "also when you really understand basketball, you know rebounding and defense are as important if not more important than scoring..." - wow. id like to see artest, battier, perkins, garnett and rondo win a championship against durant, james, anthony, bryant and wade.
    see the theory behind this is good defense will always keep you in games...

on nites when the shooters are struggling, they will still be in the game and have a chance to win as long as the defensive effort is there...

this is not a new concept in basketball but i dont think you have ever heard about it

Comment

um, points win championships, defense helps win championships. how can the opponents rebound if a team keeps making shots? the key is to play solid, decent defense and make sure you always score the basketball. last time i checked, the NBA counts points, whoever has the most points wins the game. maybe in your island teams win with rebounds and blocks but not here in our normal world.
      exactly so having good defense prevents the other team from scoring more than you.

orl, bos and the lakers ranked 3rd, 4th, and 5th last season in defensive rating, which measures points against per 100 possessions which im sure you're very familiar with.

now when mentioning orlando, boston, and the lakers, can you tell me if anything common about these teams jumps out you ?

hint : think of all the teams to have made it to the nba finals in the last 3 years.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/2010.html
      http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2010.html
      http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2010.html

also im sure you know this too:

the lakers and celtics werent even in the top 10 in offensive rating last season

Comment

• Allright. Cards on the table time, gentleman. I think Perk starts if / when he returns healthy. Colangelo would not trade Barney for Perk, but other GM's might consider it. How come every thread ends up as a Buddah / Vinnie Paz debate? Buddahfan, explain yourself, r u a devout follower of the Dalai Lama? Or just a big Cheech and Chong fan? Vinne Paz, don't no one give a fuck about Jedi Mind Tricks so go on with your bad self... Either way, I guess Im saying, can't we all just get along?
        Last edited by madeupid25; Wed Sep 1, 2010, 03:12 AM.

Comment

• madeupid25 wrote: View Post
          I think Perk starts if / when he returns healthy. How come every thread ends up as a Buddah / Vinnie Paz debate? Buddahfan, explain yourself, r u a devout follower of the Dalai Lama? Or just a big Cheech and Chong fan? Vinne Paz, don't no one give a fuck about Jedi Mind Tricks so go on with your bad self... Either way, I guess Im saying, can't we all just get along?
          hahahhaha you're so right... we need a to focus on things we all agree on...

maybe we should start a thread about your favorite things related to the raptors :

my top 3:

1. the raptors dance pak

2. raps tv

3. the acc

Comment

• I don't know if you're trying to be patronizing but...

Yes, I love the Raps Dance Pak...

Paul Jones has got it going on...

ACC is the bomb... It's real easy to smoke doobies (while watching ridiculous big screen) outside of there with T.O.'s finest standing just a few feet away...

Please don't tell me about my fav thing about the Raps cuz u don't know me friend... But fyi... At this time... my fav thing about the Raps is the young G'Z and I will give props to douchebag BC for making that happen.

Comment

still confused as to why these guys keep hammering the raps, bargnani, BC. last time i checked this is a raptors forum. maybe its hate the raptors forum. care to fill me in admins?

um, points win championships, defense helps win championships. how can the opponents rebound if a team keeps making shots? the key is to play solid, decent defense and make sure you always score the basketball. last time i checked, the NBA counts points, whoever has the most points wins the game. maybe in your island teams win with rebounds and blocks but not here in our normal world.

"also when you really understand basketball, you know rebounding and defense are as important if not more important than scoring..." - wow. id like to see artest, battier, perkins, garnett and rondo win a championship against durant, james, anthony, bryant and wade.

wow. just...wow. i'm pretty sure that when FAQ starts going off about THFs, you're who he's thinking of. bang that drum, my man...
              TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• Paradigm Shift wrote: View Post
                about how BC had this "formula" for something like B-Ball acumen or some notion that included both physical and mental attributes. All the talk was about how this kid blew the test out of the water.

Does anyone else recall this? If so, can you explain what we have seen Bargnani's game over the last few years that would correlate with such a measure?
                All I can recall from that year is that he had very good results at his Caliper test...
                ka mate, ka ora, whiti te rā!!, hī!

Comment

• vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
                  u need help...

THERE IS VALUE in defense, and just cuz you dont see it, doesnt mean everyone doesnt.

ask celtic fans how much they value the efforts of a tony allen, pj brown, or james posey...

those guys are always more valued than a nate robinson or marquis daniels...

real fans know and you who said you watched a lot of piston games should know it too.
                  I don't think he said there was no value to defence. He was just saying fans tend to only look on offence because that's how you score points and the name of the game is scoring. And if points were given for defence, there would be much more recognition and value of a player's defencive capabilities. Then again, I could be mistaken.

As for the topic, obviously we're going to value Bargnani more for his offence because that is his strength, just like Perkins' strength is his defence. It really depends on the team you're on. If Bargnani was on Boston where his defence would be shadowed by KG, etc. He wouldn't be frowned upon for his defence. If Perkins was on the Raptors, he would be no where near a top 10 center in this league because of the fact that he can't create anything on a team with no playmakers. Makes him look terrible, plus his defence/rebounding will be less valued because no wins are being produced.

All I know is that overall, I would take Bargnani over Perkins (and other centers like him) if I'm the current version of the Raptors. He still has a chance to learn to play better defence than Perkins has a chance to hit 100 3-pointers in a season.

Comment

ACC is the bomb... It's real easy to smoke doobies
                    They say it is better to have your girlfriend make some brownies

1. You know she loves you if she does
                    2. You never know what will be inside
                    3. If worse comes to worse you know that the brownies will always taste good. Never ate a bad tasting brownie in my life
                    4. A lot less hassle to consume.
                    5. Less messy if you consume only part of a serving - see #6
                    6. Its always fun to lick your fingers
                    7. If you loan your lighter to someone its not a problem if they don't return it.

Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• Wow, this thread filled up really fast...no surprise there given the nature of the thread. For the record, I voted YES in the poll; my logic being that while Bargnani may not be a top ten player at doing the things that are typically required at center (rebounding, interior defense, etc) , he is still better overallthan some of the older, more traditional centers that one might include in such a list. In reality, Bargnani shouldn't even apply in a conversation about centers, but since he does, and is listed as a PF/C, then with all aspects of the game considered he is more valuable in general when not considered as a C.

Comment

• vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
                        1. the raptors dance pak
                        There are no black chicks in the dance pak anymore..

i hope they rectify that problem this upcoming season... i need some diversity in my gyrating asses

Asians seem to be making a surge in population, but they have a long way to go to challenge for the championship.. the bleach blondes still run the playground.

Comment

• [QUOTE=heinz57;40049]There are no black chicks in the dance pak anymore..

My thoughts exactly man. I need me some ghetto booty

Comment

• noxleno wrote: View Post
                            Wow, this thread filled up really fast...no surprise there given the nature of the thread. For the record, I voted YES in the poll; my logic being that while Bargnani may not be a top ten player at doing the things that are typically required at center (rebounding, interior defense, etc) , he is still better overallthan some of the older, more traditional centers that one might include in such a list. In reality, Bargnani shouldn't even apply in a conversation about centers, but since he does, and is listed as a PF/C, then with all aspects of the game considered he is more valuable in general when not considered as a C.
                            ?

he's a centre, because he's even worse at defending PFs. the only reason people continually trumpet the 'bargs is a 4' horn is because they want to make excuses for his poor rebounding (compared against 5's, his numbers are a traveshamockery...against 4's, they're merely atrociodisgusting).

defensively, he really doesn't have the foot-speed to stick with any kind of quick/stretch 4 (basically, they'd do to him what he'd to centres...BECAUSE HE'S A CENTRE!).

offensively, the primary skills he brings to the table (stepping out to the perimeter, above-average ball-handling for a big) are really only maximized when he's being guarded by 5's (and slow ones at that). put him at the 4, where he's guarded by guys who can match (or exceed) his footspeed, and his advantages are diminished.

unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that he IS a centre, and the question therefore asked whether he is a top-10 centre in the league. there are certain responsibilities that are simply part & parcel of being a centre that he just doesn't do well. SFW if he can step out & hit 3's (at the LEAGUE AVERAGE! FAAAANTASTIC!!!); if he rebounds like a SG & can't/won't/doesn't know how to play help D (arguably, the most important role of a 5) & plays poor overall D, how does that make him an elite-level CENTRE?
                            TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• When are you all going to stop bashing Bargnani. He's out centre and he will perform. If you loved CB4 and only him, why don't you just follow the Heat and stay away from the raps. Give the guy a chance. He and the rest of the team are no longer playing in bosh's shadow or one man game....give it a rest and go pick on someone else.

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                              ?

he's a centre, because he's even worse at defending PFs. the only reason people continually trumpet the 'bargs is a 4' horn is because they want to make excuses for his poor rebounding (compared against 5's, his numbers are a traveshamockery...against 4's, they're merely atrociodisgusting).

defensively, he really doesn't have the foot-speed to stick with any kind of quick/stretch 4 (basically, they'd do to him what he'd to centres...BECAUSE HE'S A CENTRE!).

offensively, the primary skills he brings to the table (stepping out to the perimeter, above-average ball-handling for a big) are really only maximized when he's being guarded by 5's (and slow ones at that). put him at the 4, where he's guarded by guys who can match (or exceed) his footspeed, and his advantages are diminished.

unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that he IS a centre, and the question therefore asked whether he is a top-10 centre in the league. there are certain responsibilities that are simply part & parcel of being a centre that he just doesn't do well. SFW if he can step out & hit 3's (at the LEAGUE AVERAGE! FAAAANTASTIC!!!); if he rebounds like a SG & can't/won't/doesn't know how to play help D (arguably, the most important role of a 5) & plays poor overall D, how does that make him an elite-level CENTRE?

Comment

Buddahfan, explain yourself, r u a devout follower of the Dalai Lama?
                                Apparently you never noticed the picture of James Edwards he has on his signature. Edwards' nickname was Buddha. I simply forgive the spelling.
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X