No announcement yet.

Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's just out of shape from recovering from the calf.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• The seven-footer went home to Italy in the off-season and has come back healthy and strong. ‘Really happy that he’s come into camp in great shape, 15 pounds heavier, stronger but he’s playing at that high level that we saw last year and I’m excited about it,’ Casey said. [...] The 26-year-old took a rare summer off from Italy’s national team to fully heal his body and mind, a much-needed break for someone who’s played professionally since he was 18, and Casey said Bargnani is back even better than he was to start the season last year.
      http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...e-an-all-star/

Raptors head coach Dwane Casey also believes that Bargnani will come around once he is in top shape.

“A guy like that, he’ll raise to the level of performance with his shooting. He’s got to get in condition,” Casey said, adding he might extend his minutes in practice to hasten the process.
      So, which is it coach?

Comment

• Both? He put on mass and got stronger, but doesn't have his wind yet, since his stamina was hurt from all his time off. Just hitting weights can improve the strength, but it won't do a lick for your stamina... it will come with time, I'm not worried. Ask me again 10-15 games into the season though!

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Both? He put on mass and got stronger, but doesn't have his wind yet, since his stamina was hurt from all his time off. Just hitting weights can improve the strength, but it won't do a lick for your stamina... it will come with time, I'm not worried. Ask me again 10-15 games into the season though!
          I appreciate the effort but it's tough to square those quotes with each other. Your defense is the best I think but, as they say in chess, it's still a losing position.

I posted it not to pick at Casey or Bargs but just to point out yet again that 100% of the stuff you hear in training camp/preseason is b.s.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
            I appreciate the effort but it's tough to square those quotes with each other. Your defense is the best I think but, as they say in chess, it's still a losing position.

I posted it not to pick at Casey or Bargs but just to point out yet again that 100% of the stuff you hear in training camp/preseason is b.s.
            One quote says he's in great shape (specifically the added weight and increased strength), while the other quote says he needs to get in better condition (stamina). It makes total sense for a player recovering from a leg/knee/foot injury; they can do anaerobic workouts but not aerobic workouts, which are required to maintain and/or build stamina. I'm not really sure where the BS is.

Comment

• I've never considered Bargnani a work horse, but it would have been nice if he used a swimming pool in the off season to help with his cardio. Just because you have a leg/foot/knee injury doesn't mean that you should stop your cardio workouts.

Comment

• When I hear the phrase "in great shape" being spoken in professional sports, the first thing that comes to mind is stamina (as in, ready to play the game without getting tired).

It seems deceptive to speak of "great shape" in terms of strength and muscle if it doesn't translate to on-court production.

But that's just me...

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Just because you have a leg/foot/knee injury doesn't mean that you should stop your cardio workouts.
                  I'm not a doctor but probably swimming (or whatever in the pool) for improve aerobic is not same as running for improve aerobic. Target is the same but probably you have different output from the body
                  Let's go Raptors!

Comment

• Andrea Bargnani has not looked right in Toronto’s first two pre-season contests.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/11...les-on-fatique

Andrea Bargnani has not looked right in Toronto’s first two pre-season contests.

The team’s leading scorer has a pretty reasonable explanation as to why:

“I’m still not 100%,” Bargnani told the media on Thursday, ahead of Friday’s game against Detroit.

“Everybody is a little fatigued right now, but we’re still in training camp and we’re going to be all right for the (regular season opener against Indiana on Halloween).

Bargnani has hit only nine of 27 shots over the first two games (33.3%) and is 2-for-8 from three-point range.

Last season, the seven-footer dipped to just 29.6% accuracy from behind the line, continuing a downward trend from his career-best 40.9% in 2008-09 and 37.2% last year.

Bargnani is not getting as much lift or arc on his shots, which points to the fitness issue he raised.

His worst shooting last season came after he had missed time with a calf injury and was battling to find his conditioning.He is rarely concerned though about his game and certainly isn’t losing any sleep about his ailing jumper.

“I’ve never been worried about my jump shot since I’m six years old I don’t care if it goes in, goes out, I’m still shooting, still (have) a great shot,” Bargnani said.

“I don’t even think about my shot actually, I just think about defence, try to get rebounds. My shot? I just shoot.”

Raptors head coach Dwane Casey also believes that Bargnani will come around once he is in top shape.

“A guy like that, he’ll raise to the level of performance with his shooting. He’s got to get in condition,” Casey said, adding he might extend his minutes in practice to hasten the process.

“We’re going to go as far as he takes us. He’s going to be an anchor for us, a guy that can knock down shots. A lot of what we do is predicated on him making open shots. I’ve been pushing him, (getting) on him, mainly about running the floor both ways.”

He seems to be getting the message and intends to respond to Casey’s demands.

“The main thing is get in shape,” Bargnani reiterated.

“Especially the way we want to play, play hard defence, be a running team, we’ve got to be in shape in order to do it.”

Comment

• I'm not worried about Bargs. So far this season I have seen a commitment to defence (him and JV play great together) and Bargs getting into the positions he needs to get to on offence. The shot will come.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        When I hear the phrase "in great shape" being spoken in professional sports, the first thing that comes to mind is stamina (as in, ready to play the game without getting tired).

It seems deceptive to speak of "great shape" in terms of strength and muscle if it doesn't translate to on-court production.

But that's just me...
                        I agree, but, you could argue that Dwane Casey sees and is correct along the lines of the used terminology. Who knows.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                          I'm not worried about Bargs. So far this season I have seen a commitment to defence (him and JV play great together) and Bargs getting into the positions he needs to get to on offence. The shot will come.
                          Bargnani did not play great defense tonight, but he had instances, where they both challenged inside shots (Andrea accounted for the block). Two 7 footers, if both 100% healthy, conditioned, and giving all out effort, we could match up with the league's best.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                            Bargnani did not play great defense tonight, but he had instances, where they both challenged inside shots (Andrea accounted for the block). Two 7 footers, if both 100% healthy, conditioned, and giving all out effort, we could match up with the league's best.
                            i think i am one of the biggest bargs' homers on the site here and agree somewhat with this. what i am seeing from bargs on defense in the low post is a player completely unsure of his job. you can watch him start to hedge from the weak side to help but then he seems to remember he has a man too. he then pulls back onto his own man. i'm not sure if that is because his instinct is to leave his man and then his brain tells him his coach wants him to box out and cover his own man or if coach wants him to help but he isn't sure someone has his back if he leaves position.

that said he played really bad on offense this last game. i will take low scoring nights if he is taking it to the hole even on two step runners away from the basket but spot up shooting is wasting his talents.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                              i think i am one of the biggest bargs' homers on the site here and agree somewhat with this. what i am seeing from bargs on defense in the low post is a player completely unsure of his job. you can watch him start to hedge from the weak side to help but then he seems to remember he has a man too. he then pulls back onto his own man. i'm not sure if that is because his instinct is to leave his man and then his brain tells him his coach wants him to box out and cover his own man or if coach wants him to help but he isn't sure someone has his back if he leaves position.

that said he played really bad on offense this last game. i will take low scoring nights if he is taking it to the hole even on two step runners away from the basket but spot up shooting is wasting his talents.
                              He's seriously unconditioned. Anyways, I used to play defense like that too. I'm unsure, whether to help out, or to stay on my man.

BUT, now I know. He has to realize where he has to be on the court, depending on the location of the ball. ex: If ball is on the wing, and I'm defending my man on the wing, I've got be ready for the help baseline. I think Bargnani just doesn't have a clear idea on "where do I have to be, when the ball is there?" That's what I've really noticed. I don't think he is a bad defender at all, he shows instances WHEN he is in the proper position, and giving 100%.

Offense will come, we know how good he can be when he's aggressive.

Comment

• is it just me or was there a bit of a difference in AB's defense last night possibly because of the fact that he now has someone to live up to?

Comment

Working...
                                X