Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
    The 60's Celtics were the biggest dynasty in professional sports history. I'd say that was a good place to focus if you're talking about history. And, at least in the version I read, Simmons talked about the Pistons, Rockets, Lakers, Spurs, Bulls, Blazers as well as just about every other team that had won a Championship, The Celtics are obviously who he knows best, so it's understandable to focus there. Plus, the difference between Russell and Wilt was the perfect example of the difference between a player who wants to win and a player who demands to win.
    he talked about those teams EVENTUALLY... but not in those first couple chapters... those chapters were ALL celtics. trust me.. i put that book down countless times because i got sick of the celtics crap..

not arguing the quality of the book though.. its a great read.. i'm just saying, for a book about BASKETBALL the early focus of the book was the CELTICS... and the focus on the one franchise for somebody interested in the sport in general rather than the one team is off-putting to me.

"wankfest" is a harsh term for it, i admit.. but f$%# it... i hate the celtics.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
      he talked about those teams EVENTUALLY... but not in those first couple chapters... those chapters were ALL celtics. trust me.. i put that book down countless times because i got sick of the celtics crap..

not arguing the quality of the book though.. its a great read.. i'm just saying, for a book about BASKETBALL the early focus of the book was the CELTICS... and the focus on the one franchise for somebody interested in the sport in general rather than the one team is off-putting to me.

"wankfest" is a harsh term for it, i admit.. but f$%# it... i hate the celtics.
      Maybe we read different versions, but Chapter 1 is entitled "The Secret", and details his conversation with Isiah Thomas, and talks about what it takes to build a Championship. Detroit is talked about most in that chapter. Chapter 2 talks about Russell vs Wilt. Obviously Boston is talked about a lot in that chapter, but considering it dealt with differences between players who put up great stats and players who win and the difference between them, I found it fascinating.

You may be thinking of the PROLOGUE that discussed why Bill Simmons became the basketball fan that he is today, which is important to put the book and it's contents into perspective, and since he was raised on the Celtics, he talks mostly about them.

Personally, I don't "hate" any team. Don't really understand that. The Celtics are simply a bunch of players from different places who are paid by one team to play for them. Celtic fans don't really bother me much, either. At least any more than fans of ANY team. Laker fans are probably the most insufferable and annoying. Although Raptor fans have to be up there too, quite frankly.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Tim W.;60751] At least any more than fans of ANY team. Laker fans are probably the most insufferable and annoying. Although Raptor fans have to be up there too, quite frankly.[/QUOTE]

Anyone else take offense to this?

We gonna let some non-Raptors fans invade this board or what?!

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
          Maybe we read different versions, but Chapter 1 is entitled "The Secret", and details his conversation with Isiah Thomas, and talks about what it takes to build a Championship. Detroit is talked about most in that chapter. Chapter 2 talks about Russell vs Wilt. Obviously Boston is talked about a lot in that chapter, but considering it dealt with differences between players who put up great stats and players who win and the difference between them, I found it fascinating.

You may be thinking of the PROLOGUE that discussed why Bill Simmons became the basketball fan that he is today, which is important to put the book and it's contents into perspective, and since he was raised on the Celtics, he talks mostly about them.

Personally, I don't "hate" any team. Don't really understand that. The Celtics are simply a bunch of players from different places who are paid by one team to play for them. Celtic fans don't really bother me much, either. At least any more than fans of ANY team. Laker fans are probably the most insufferable and annoying. Although Raptor fans have to be up there too, quite frankly.
          i hate any team that's not mine. some more than others.

i can appreciate other teams.... doesn't mean i dont hate them though.

i hate any player not wearing a raptors jersey in the ACC.

i consider myself the epitomy of what a fan is.. for better or worse... if you asked me what my dream nba lineup would be, i'd list off every player currently on my team... when player's have good nights against my team, i hate them more.

kobe is a twat.

KG is a twat.

lebron is a twat.

the only team that gets a marginal pass is the Thunder. Because before there was a "Toronto Raptors", i was a die hard Sonics fan.... and even still, i hate them when they play the raps.

i would have swore "The Secret" was chapter 3... but i dont have the book in front of me so i cant confirm.. so i'll revise a bit in the event that i'm, wrong...

The celtics-centric chapters are wankfests.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
            i hate any team that's not mine. some more than others.

i can appreciate other teams.... doesn't mean i dont hate them though.

i hate any player not wearing a raptors jersey in the ACC.

i consider myself the epitomy of what a fan is.. for better or worse... if you asked me what my dream nba lineup would be, i'd list off every player currently on my team... when player's have good nights against my team, i hate them more.

kobe is a twat.

KG is a twat.

lebron is a twat.

the only team that gets a marginal pass is the Thunder. Because before there was a "Toronto Raptors", i was a die hard Sonics fan.... and even still, i hate them when they play the raps.

i would have swore "The Secret" was chapter 3... but i dont have the book in front of me so i cant confirm.. so i'll revise a bit in the event that i'm, wrong...

The celtics-centric chapters are wankfests.
            + 1 - as a Raptors die-hard, I don't care about any other team in the NBA or in Pro Sports more than the Raps, and I hate any opposition of the Raps -

most hated: C****cs - obvious reasons
            Magic - they were the last team to knock Toronto out of the playoffs and they had VC for a while
            Heat - again, obvious reasons
            Hawks - because I wish we had J Smith and every time they play the raps, they beat them down
            Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

• Multipaul wrote: View Post
              what is this, the bill simmons fan club? or the celtics fan club?

You guys are supporting this douchebag? Would you wanna hang out with this guy? He looks like the stuff inside Bosh's mouth in Heinz's avatar!

Ha. Yeah most sports writers are known for their good looks are like greek gods and are usually the definition of peak physical perfection.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
                Ha. Yeah most sports writers are known for their good looks are like greek gods and are usually the definition of peak physical perfection.
                Bill Simmons never played, coached, score kept, administrated 1 game in the NBA and I'm supposed to treat him like a guru.

I cleared UFC 2009 10x on my PS3, does that mean I am an MMA expert?

GTFOH

Comment

• Bargnani Needs To Go

The sooner the better.

1. His offense disappears for games at a time
                  2. He can't guard anyone
                  3. He refuses to play defense as evidenced by his -25 in 27 minutes and only one foul.

The Raptors will never be a winning team with him on the roster.

No wonder Bosh left - I know it is a low blow but the lazy posterior Bargnani deserves it.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• I started writing a reply to this 3 times... nice role player, but what do you expect to win with a 7 foot jump shooter with no heart and bad knees?
                    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• There's no one else on this team consistent enough to lead for the rest of the season. Despite his inconsistencies , he's still the top scorer on the team. Yeah he doesn't play defense, but neither do half the other guys in the team. The raptors are just a bad team right now and probably will be for a while, but unless we get a player in return who can make a decent impact, trading him
                      will hurt us more than it will help us. Unless we get a pick or something. Besides asking for Bargnani to get traded after going through every slump is getting kind of old. You might as well ask to trade to whole team if poor defense and inconsistency are the problem.

Comment

• Top scorer on a 26 win team ain't nuthin. Not a damned thing. A lot of guys not in the NBA could score 20 a night but never win.

I agree about trading him after every little slump. Raps should look to trade him after a strong string of games. Trading him when he can't even do the one thing asked of him seems like an uphill battle. This team would be foolish to build around him though. It'd be a mistake to think he's anything other than a complimentary player.
                        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• Championships are won with Defense. If your "star" is allergic to defense your team is destined to be mediocre. Heck use your fouls. All players have bad games but when Bargs does the whole team suffers, the least he could do is use his 6 fouls on defense. As far as "stars" go, at this point in our team's development a star would be a luxury. We need players willing to leave everything on the floor knowing that they're fighting for their jobs not spoiled jump-shooters who allow the men they defend to consistently average double doubles.

Comment

• Everyone goes through rough stretches. Trading them away isn't the answer.

Comment

• This post is stupid, you hate on him when he does good, so when at times like this where hes struggling, you have no credibility what so ever. Continuing on, its been 3 bad shooting nights he'll gets his shooting stoke back in no time.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                                Everyone goes through rough stretches. Trading them away isn't the answer.
                                I'm sure he'll get the rebounding and defense together soon...

Comment

Working...
                                X