Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    this could be the second time masai rapes the knicks in a deal, depending on who we are able to draft.

i hope bargs does well in new york.
    He won't be better on defense or rebounding, but I can see him averaging 16-17 points per game as a starter or 13-14 points per game as a back up to Amare. He will get his shooting touch back only because NY has a better cast of players than us. With Anthony, NY won't be relying on Bargnani to shoot a lot or be the focus of the offense. While everyone is concerned about Anthony, Bargnani would be a happy recipient of many open jumpers. Also, Bargnani has never played with a good paint defender like Chandler, so his lack of help defense won't be too much of an issue. To be honest, how well Bargnani does in New York really depends on him. Will he actually want to play aggressively or will he just sit at the perimeter?

Comment

• Novak does what we hoped to get out of Bargnani...barely defends, occasionally rebounds, and is a legit outside threat. Plus a first round pick? I'm not jumping up and down but he definitely fits the current roster. That's a lot more than I expected/wanted. I would have been happy with a few young prospects. The bar was getting lower and lower.

Comment

• http://www.raptorscage.ca/why-the-to...-the-warriors/
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I'm still shocked at how goddamn stupid the Knicks organization is, this is quite the risk. This trade basically falls on whether or not Bargnani can rejuvenate himself in a place where pressure is incredibly high.

Novak & 3 future draft picks is an absolute steal, especially because Novak is a cheaper, better shooting version.

Comment

• Current roster make-up:

Lowry
            DeRozan/Ross
            Gay/Fields/Novak/Kleiza
            Amir/Acy
            Valanciunas/Gray

I'm definitely happy, especially for a guy we know will produce in his role as a 3rd, 4th, 5th wing and will bring in some terrific outside shooting. Especially because he's incredibly cheap in comparison to Bargnani.

Comment

• I am so fucking confused right now. Some sites and tweets say that it's Bargnani for Camby, Novak, a 2016 first rounder and two second round picks while other say we only get the first rounder and other say we get the first round and only one second round pick. Which exactly is it? So confusing....

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                I am so fucking confused right now. Some sites and tweets say that it's Bargnani for Camby, Novak, a 2016 first rounder and two second round picks while other say we only get the first rounder and other say we get the first round and only one second round pick. Which exactly is it? So confusing....
                As of now I see more sites with multiple picks.

The only story I've found so far with a breakdown of each asset, which makes me hope the multiple pick angle is true....
                http://www.hoopsworld.com/bargnani-t...ovak-and-picks

It both says the deal is on hold as they rework it with proper cap numbers, and that it is for multiple picks. It also breaks down the picks. So I REALLY hope this is what the deal ends up being.

breakdown:
                The Knicks purportedly agreed to a deal with the Raptors that will send Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, a 2016 first-round pick, a 2017 second-round pick and 2014 second-round pick (via OKC) to Toronto for Andrea Bargnani.

Comment

• When I see this deal I keep thinking about Ujiri's comments about how building a playoff team is easy, but that's not the goal. The reason it comes to mind is because the former is exactly how NY is being run, and it's kinda what Grunwald always does as a good, but not great, GM. He puts together a team sure to make the playoffs and possibly provide some hope to fans of something bigger. But now he's patching it together just to keep the ship sailing, despite the fact that, as built, it will never make it to the promised land.

Meanwhile Ujiri happily accepts basically no talent back in order to get 3 draft picks (hopefully, though I'm still not sad about one first rounder) and shed dead weight. Fully thinking big picture and not at all concerned about getting something useful for next year.

Comment

• Oh man, to follow up directly on my previous comment....

Masai apparently had legit options in terms of bringing in a talent. I'm sure the overall cost and benefit made it unappealing, but all the more reason to have a bit of faith in him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--wa...051633769.html

Golden State offered Lee in a package for Toronto's Andrea Bargnani, sources said, but the Raptors made a deal with the New York Knicks to shed the final two years, $22.5 million on Bargnani's contract.
                    He chose draft picks and a role player, rather than invest in a player with more money and similar limitations. Yeah Lee's a better player than Bargs, but he's just as bad a defender and can't shoot with quite as much range. It would have very much been a "playoff" deal, and not something that's building for the long-term future. I do prefer the Novak deal to any possible Lee trade. IMO, there's no way the Raptors would have come out winners in a Lee deal. Probably would have had to give up pick(s) and/or Ross on top of Bargs to get it done. But on the Novak deal, the Raps are clear winners, absolutely mugging the Knicks and getting rid of Bargs...even if Bargs breaks out like he never has before, that clearly was never going to happen in TO.

Comment

• Totally indifferent. Novak's a nice player. A fringe rotation guy you put in for shooting. Keep him...Trade him...whatever...just happy Bargs is gone.

Comment

• RepRaptorsintheUSA wrote: View Post
                        I am not happy, but i am optimistic. Off the bench Novak can help. His defense has to get better. I thought that was where the commitment was. This move is not improving our defense (Keep in mind we have LOST Bargs & JL3). We have PLENTY of experience with 3pt shooters who get the crowd hype, but after the buzzer we end up losing the game. That has been Toronto Raptor basketball since the franchise was started. I feel Novak just replaced JL3. I expect him to get less minutes than JL3 as a matter of fact. It's a wash to me. No loss, no gain.

Camby is a consultant. The picks are the best part of this deal to me. Bargaining chips, new prospects....either way it is better than the situation we had this year.

What i like:
                        Bargs & BC are gone. The debacle is finally over.
                        New ownership & GM are making moves & seem committed to compete.
                        Telfair is now officially the back up PG
                        Ross has to work on his game, or ride pine and watch Novak shoot 3's.

Still not happy.
                        Says....you? He's a free agent. Why would they bring him back?

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          Oh man, to follow up directly on my previous comment....

Masai apparently had legit options in terms of bringing in a talent. I'm sure the overall cost and benefit made it unappealing, but all the more reason to have a bit of faith in him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--wa...051633769.html

He chose draft picks and a role player, rather than invest in a player with more money and similar limitations. Yeah Lee's a better player than Bargs, but he's just as bad a defender and can't shoot with quite as much range. It would have very much been a "playoff" deal, and not something that's building for the long-term future. I do prefer the Novak deal to any possible Lee trade. IMO, there's no way the Raptors would have come out winners in a Lee deal. Probably would have had to give up pick(s) and/or Ross on top of Bargs to get it done. But on the Novak deal, the Raps are clear winners, absolutely mugging the Knicks and getting rid of Bargs...even if Bargs breaks out like he never has before, that clearly was never going to happen in TO.
                          I pretty much agree with you here.

I can't imagine the talked about Lee for Bargs deal was a simple one for one. That would be a complete and utter steal for the Raptors. A significantly better and more diverse offensive player, a signficantly better rebounder, while being a comparable defender (even there I'd still take Lee over Bargnani on defense - Lee made a name for himself at Sloan for his league worst rim protection (not exactly a suprise), but Bargnani didn't even get within 5 feet enough to make the sample size cut (not exactly a suprise either)) for a few more mil a year, and one more year.

As for the Raptors being clear winners in this deal - a postcard from NY in exchange for Bargnani may have made the Raptors clear winners in the deal to. I don't see this deal making the team better (aside for addition by subtraction), but I expect it starts to clean up the financial mess left by BC, and nets the team a late pick to boot.

Comment

• I'm happy we have traded Bargs, and I'm also happy Masai declined GSW offer. Thank god. Lee got $44M left on his contract and he's most awful defender I ever saw. Even bargnani was better.

Comment

• Need Raptors jersey with Masai's name.... As he's the only person, who's going to stay here longterm for sure... lol, and I doubt about most of the others.
                              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• For me, this is the truly stunning result of this trade:

"Amazingly, the Knicks have now traded away their first round pick in 2014 and 2016, as well as their second-round picks in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017....Not only will the Knicks be over the cap, but now the earliest first or even second-round draft pick New York can include in a deal would be a selection in the 2018 draft."

Comment

Working...
                                X