Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaworski wrote: View Post
    Was he weeping for joy or sadness? Did his team win or lose?
    I think that they won

He seemed to me to have more excitement in his voice when the game winning shot was made then when the go ahead goal was made just a few seconds before.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• Derozan has a chance this season to overtake everyone as this city's most exciting player.

Bargnani isn't flashy, then again, very few big men are exciting.

Comment

• As far as I'm concerned, I could give a shit about having particular individuals to revere and love as the face of the franchise. The reality is that we've had such a high turnover rate here that it's probably better not to put all of the hopes and dreams of the franchise on one player. I support the Toronto Raptors as a unit, regardless of who is on the floor. If, one day, this franchise manages to make some noise in the league or even go on a deep playoff run, it will be, in my opinion, so much more satisfying if we do it as a cohesive team where players share equal burden, without an individual star.

Still, I'm not a hater; I've already expressed my opinion on the foolishness of booing players simply because their tenures with the Raps didn't work out. People who go to the games with a mind to boo players they dislike with more zeal than they bring to cheer on the team should be slapped...especially when it's somebody like Carter or Turkoglu who will only try harder to burn the Raps should they be booed.

Comment

• Jaworski wrote: View Post
          Was he weeping for joy or sadness? Did his team win or lose?
          It wasn't his team, he was just excited cause it seemed like the losing team (the team who got scored on on the buzzer) were going to win after they scored with few seconds left, then you know there was the buzzer beater so he was just extremely excited about that. Cause he was excited when the other team scored the near buzzer beater..

Comment

• JoePanini wrote: View Post
            It wasn't his team, he was just excited cause it seemed like the losing team (the team who got scored on on the buzzer) were going to win after they scored with few seconds left, then you know there was the buzzer beater so he was just extremely excited about that. Cause he was excited when the other team scored the near buzzer beater..
            Huh?

Comment

• ihatehaters wrote: View Post
              Huh?
              I think Joe was saying that the announcer is the "excitable type"
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                Derozan has a chance this season to overtake everyone as this city's most exciting player.

Bargnani isn't flashy, then again, very few big men are exciting.
                Hey Mango, are you the same guy who started some sort of Vince Carter hate club over at the Raptors official chat forum on NBA.com? I used to lurk over there a few years back, and some of the stuff was hilarious. If so, what are your thoughts on the article and the portrayal of Raptors fans as "haters".

Comment

• Only those unfamiliar with the culinary delights can refer to the wonderful aubergine, as unexciting.

Buffery must be used to boiled sausages and spam for his dinners.

This is not an endorsement of Bargnani's skills or personality but rather a defense of the maligned and misunderstood vegetable.

Comment

• Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                    Bargnani tweeted this

http://twitter.com/andreabargnani
                    Sounds like his puppy died while the basketball game was going on.

Comment

• DimeMag.com: Bargnani 29th of 30 Top "Go-To Players"

Last season offered a 12-game sample. In the time that Bosh missed with injuries, Bargnani didn’t definitively prove or disprove anybody’s theory on how good (or mediocre) he can be. In a seven-game stretch beginning in late-February, Bargnani averaged 15.2 points, one bucket less than his overall regular season average. In the final five games of the year — which Bosh missed while the Raptors were trying to win a playoff berth — Bargnani averaged 21.4 points and his team wound up in the Lottery. Toronto’s record in games with Bargnani as The Man was 5-7; the wins coming over the Knicks (twice), Nets, Wizards and Pistons, the losses coming to Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, Houston, Oklahoma City, Cleveland and Portland.

The highlight of Bargnani’s test drive was a 33-point effort against Detroit in the second-to-last game of the season, a must-win for the Raptors at the time. In that game, Bargnani showed the outside shooting stroke that originally birthed those Dirk comparisons (5-for-7 beyond the arc) and grabbed seven rebounds, but only had one assist. It was a microcosm of what Bargnani should be this year. He will score, he will shoot, he will rebound when he has to, but he won’t be much of a playmaker as far as getting others involved. Bargnani can pass and the Raptors have some athletic offensive players surrounding him, but passing is not his role, especially now that the Raptors need to replace the 24 ppg that Bosh provided.

Perimeter-based seven-footers always leave something to be desired, especially when they’re deemed the go-to guy on a team. As much success as Dirk has had in the League, between his MVP and NBA Finals appearance and deep playoff runs, he still has a lot of critics who get on him for not using his size to score more inside and get easy buckets instead of taking fadeaways from 18 feet.

According to 82games.com’s “clutch time” statistical analysis — compiling numbers from the 4th quarter and overtime, less than five minutes on the clock, neither team ahead by more than five points — Bargnani is about where a second-option on a Lottery team would be. He averaged 24.7 points per 48 minutes of “clutch time” last season, higher than established No. 1’s like Danny Granger, Tim Duncan, Deron Williams and Paul Pierce, but below Corey Maggette, Will Bynum and Andrei Kirilenko. He shot 49 percent from the field, 30 percent from three, and 86 percent at the free-throw line in clutch situations. Over 70 percent of Bargnani’s clutch time baskets were assisted, likely the result of Bosh being double-teamed in the post or getting open spots around the arc via Toronto’s playmakers. Now that he’s The Man, Bargnani will have to learn to produce solo buckets. By comparison, 54 percent of Dirk’s clutch time baskets involved an assist.

So far, the 2006 draft class hasn’t been strong on franchise players. Brandon Roy is the only one who’s been The Man since Day 1, while Rudy Gay is just cementing his role as Memphis’ go-to guy. Going into Year 5, Bargnani’s time is now. As the “backup” in Toronto he was living the relatively stress-free life of a developing talent with potential, but now the spotlight is on. Now he’s taking the snaps and calling the plays. And even the most optimistic Raptors fan has to realize he’s not going to be Tom Brady right away.
                      Source: Dime Mag

Comment

• According to that same 82games analysis

Top 5 Raptors Clutch scorers in 09-10
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Bosh-----30.9
                        Jack------26.0
                        Bargs----24.7
                        Turk---- 24.4
                        Wright---19.9

What do we know about Jack?

The general consensus is that is not a NBA starter

What do we know about Turk last season?

He stunk like skunk spray

What do we know about Wright?

In 09-10 he stunk worse than skunk spray.

http://www.82games.com/0910/CSORT11.HTM
                        Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Sep 17, 2010, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• Bargnani's Shot Selections in 09-10

I thought we could take a look at Bagnani's shot selection vs Amir's to see what kind of shots they take and how successful they are with those shots.

By---------------------eFG%-----Ast'd-----Blk'd------Pts
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------
                          Bargnani---------------.523-------75%-----4%-------17.2
                          Johnson----------------.623-------68%-----7%--------6.2
                          ====================================

We see that Bargnani is assisted on about 10% more of his field goals than Johnson and Johnson has about twice the percentage of his shots blocked. Johnson also has a significantly higher eFG% than Bargnani.

The difference can be explained thusly
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          1. Johnson gets a higher percentage of his field goals off of rebounds. No assist required on this play. Johnson has a higher percentage of his shots blocked. This is due to Johnson shooting more close in shots where it is more congested with more defenders on many of the plays.

Johnson also has higher eFG% because a significantly higher percentage of his shot attempts come a lot closer to the basket than Bargnani's do. However, when you read on you might be surprised to see that less then 20% come from garbage plays; i.e. off of rebounds.

I do not know why the Pts below total to only 14.9

Shot--------Att-------eFG%------Ast'd-------Blk'd------Pts
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Jump-------74%------.479--------81%------2%------10.1
                          Close-------21%------.606--------66%------11%------3.7
                          Dunk--------4%-------.933-------71%-------4%-------1.0
                          Tips----------1%------.417---------0%--------0%------0.1
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Inside-------26%------.648--------65%-------9%-----4.8
                          ======================================

Contrast
                          -----------
                          26% of Bargnani's are from the "Inside" with just 1% being tip-ins.
                          46% of Bosh's shots were from the inside with 5% being tip-ins.
                          79% of Johnson's shots were from the inside with 10% being tip-ins.

So what do we see here. Most likely better floor spacing with Johnson and Bargnani than with Bosh and Bargnani. Johnson and Bargnani's offense styles appear to compliment one another and not overlap by too much. It seems to me that this is a good thing.

Now lets look at specific type of shot selections

% of Shots Taken
                          -----------------------------
                          Type---------Bargs------Johnson
                          -----------------------------------
                          Spot up------37.9%-------7.7%
                          Post up-------16.1%------13.1%
                          Pick & Roll----11.0%------19.0%
                          Isolation-------8.7%--------2.7%
                          Transition------7.7%------11.8%
                          Cut-------------4.9%-------16.1%
                          Off Rebound---4.3%-------17.0%
                          Other-----------9.4%-------12.6%
                          ----------------------------------------------
                          Total----------100.0%------100.0%
                          ==========================

Bagnani gets 64% or nearly 2/3 of his shots from three plays; i.e. Spot Up, Post Up and Pick and Roll

Johnson on the other hand get 65.2% of his shots from four plays if you count Off Rebound as a play. They are in order, Pick and Roll, Off Rebound, Cut and Post Up.

What is really different here is that Bargnani gets almost 40% of his shots off of one type of shot, where Johnson does not get more than 20% of his shots from one type of shot.

Conclusion
                          ------------------
                          Bargnani relies quite heavily on on what I would call stationary shots; i.e. Getting to a spot and receiving a pass, 54% of his shots. Bargnani is assisted on 81% of his jump shots (see link) and almost 40% of his shots are spot up shots. So for Bargnani to score it appears that he needs to get to a spot come to a stop and receive a pass. At which time if he able to get off a shot he either shoots a spot up shot or a post up most most likely jump shot.

Johnson on the other hand contrary to what a lot of fans think showed that he scores with a good variety of shots, much more so than Bargnani. Where was Johnson the weakest last season? In Isolation and Spot Up shots. To try and remedy that situation Johnson has spent the summer working on his dribbling and jump shooting.

If he is successful in improving his dribbling and jump shooting enough he will have a extremely versatile arsenal of shots from which he can score.

Johnson it appears is a lot closer to becoming a well rounded scorer than Bargnani. Taking more spot up shots will no doubt lower Johnson's offensive efficiency a bit whereas improving is Isolation ability should not negatively affect his efficiency and may improve his points per possession (PPP)

Talking about PPP last Sesson

Johnson-----1.14-----#6 in the NBA
                          Bargnani-----1.00---#76 in the NBA

source: Synergy Sports

http://www.82games.com/0910/09TOR12.HTM

Comment

• Buddha <3 Amir.

I think Bargs should cut in more often, he did it maybe once a night last year and he always managed either a lay-up, a dunk or an and one. He's quicker than most centers, and he has pretty good feet, I don't know why he doesn't do it more often. I don't know how many times he successfully run across the free throw line, and dunked it over the side of the other player.

Comment

• I agree that there should be a better floor spacing without Bosh. This might also lead to a different shot selection. I mean, how much Bargnani's shots selections were influenced by Bosh being on the floor? More than Amir's, I would say. So, I'm not sure that Amir and Bargnani's individual stats are completely comparable.
                              Second thought. If I read the stats correctly, out of 100 shots, 83 of Amir's and 96 of Bargnani's were not from offensive rebounds. Of Amir's 83, 68 were assisted (81,9%), and 15 weren't. Of Bargnani's 96, 75 were assisted (78,1%), and 21 weren't. If you count out the shots from offensive rebounds, which are not a result of team plays as much as the other shots, it seems to me that Amir more than Bargnani needs to be assisted.

Comment

• Bargs will be going in the paint alot more this year now that Bosh is gone, that's for sure. This could be good news for TO. Because if teams start doube teaming Bargs in the paint, then Bargs becomes Bosh and Kleiza become Bargs. Kleiza and the rest of the team will be getting better looks... Not sure, let's just hope. He said last year he wasn't used to being double teamed, thus he had quite abit of turnovers when double teamed...

Comment

Working...
                                X