No announcement yet.

Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In fact, Colangelo conceded that the Raptors big man was a person of interest in this rumour-wild offseason.

"There are a number of teams interested (in Bargnani) – we were actually brought into the conversations with respect to the Chris Paul and even Dwight Howard to L.A. possibilities, where Andrea was a piece that was of interest to the teams involved," he said.

"Having said that, we're going to keep him as long as he's a part of what we're doing here. I said nobody on this team is untradeable.
    this is one thing I've always wondered. Exactly what are the offers for Andrea?

If his name came up to be 'involved' in the Paul/Howard talks... was it as the key peice coming from Toronto, or trade ballist to make a deal work? (ie. was the deal (just an example here) Paul to LA, Pau to Toronto and Andrea to NOH or was it Paul to LA, Pau to Toronto, 2012 first rounder + Val + andrea to NOH sort of thing)

Every year we here BC say alot of teams have an 'interest' in Bargnani... but whats the level of that interest? If there is so many people wanting Andrea, why are there (and have been) no rumours out there?

Comment

• If Casey keeps this up, I'm going to be a fan.

Comment

• Thought this was funny:

i've been very busy with training camp,didn't have much time to watch the news.But I've heard that Spadina station is a lot of fun..lol
        http://twitter.com/AndreaBargnani

Comment

• '...we're going to keep him as long as he's a part of what we're doing here...'

am i reading this wrong, or does this quote not translate to: 'he'll be a part of the team as long as he's a part of the team'?? in other words...it's meaningless.

revelatory!

and let's try not to get too excited...being mentioned as possibly being a (minor) part of a blockbuster trade isn't exactly something to hang one's hat upon. i don't think anyone went apeshit crazy thinking that aminu is a future all-NBA SF because he was in the paul trade.
          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• yertu damkule wrote: View Post
            sorry re. the caps...too much deadspin. it's infectious. not yelling, just emphasizing.

look, i'm sorry if i'm not as enthusiastic about some report from a known raptor-fluffer based on some mystery 'source.' it would have a bit more credence if it came from a guy who didn't run from the idea of writing anything vaguely controversial or actually critical about the raptors. i take what smith writes with the same grain of salt i do when i read a comment from cesco or multipaul (btw...where'd he go?).

so, yay, andrea's been the best player in training camp. that's great. he's also been great in actual games...and even been great for stretches of games. what has it meant in the past, exactly?
            To be honest I agree with everything you wrote here. I most definitely take anything Doug Smith says with a grain of salt, same with coaches. However when his teammates are impressed, that is a good thing. A few of them essentially threw him under the bus at the exit interviews in April - rightfully so.

To answer your question, it hasn't gotten us very far but that can't be blamed all on one player - which at times I think fans unfairly do. He certainly shoulders some of the blame - and probably more than most given his role.

The thing to remember is a guy like Nene with a OppPER of 18 and an average rebound rate of 7.6 per game with one block and one steal is lauded as a terrific defender and just signed a 5yr/$64M contract. I think with consistent effort and focus Andrea, statistically, could offer the same output.

Every year the sliver of hope for Bargnani - at least for me - gets smaller and smaller. Yet it is still there. As long as Bargnani is a Raptor, I'm rooting for him because, whether he stays long term of not, it is in the best interests of the Raptors. I really hope he shocks us all. If he can do defensively what I wrote above we have a franchise player and possibly another one coming.

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
              I think one of the downside of Bargnani's so-called new found aggression is more fouls. I can see him trying to overcompensate and being too eager to chase the offensive player which could result in more fouls.
              Awesome... more PT for ED and Amir. lol

Comment

• GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                Couple things here:

1) how do you "make something click" in a guy? How many different approaches were taken in hopes of getting things to 'click' for him? If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.... well isn't the idea of trying to find a way to get Bargnani rebound and defend (yet again) insane?
                Have you ever coached a kid and watched him or a team finally get something after months? Or have you ever looked at one of those crazy 2 faces in a picture for a long time without seeing anything then someone says, "Look there!" and it all comes together? How do you make something click and in Bargnani no less? I don't know. I don't know the guy. But I know what didn't work - coddling from the front office (bye bye Gheridini!), touchy feely coaching (bye bye JT!), telling him, "You're big, go get the ball!". To answer your question: you missed the point, they are doing things differently - no coddling, tough love, setting specific and achievable goals versus abstract concepts.

2) the entire article was about Andrea. People (Yertu) responded to it regarding Andrea. How was Yertu responding to the things in the article that he didn't agree with 'hating'? How could Yertu have responded to the article without you considering it 'hating'? Would he just not have had to not respond or respond positively or by 'hoping' everything is will turn out? People clearly don't expect Andrea to amount to much of a rebounder... and Yertu's statement about people having 'lowered the bar 'in regards to Andrea's expectations is something I specifically remember you mentioning aswell.
                New statements and concepts from those directly involved with the organizations being responded with old arguments. The bar certainly has been lowered. The idea of 8 rebounds a game (plus a few others that bounce to him) certainly exceeds that bar in my opinion. That is certainly better than a C who just signed a 5 year, $64M contract who averaged 7.6 per game.

3) I'd have alot more faith in the article if it came from ANYONE other than Doug Smith. While I think D.Smith is intelligent, knowledgeable and has resources above and beyond most of the media, he tows the company line like no other. Has BC ever done anything, of significance, that he has been critical of? BC could trade for Hedo again and Doug Smith would talk about how it should work out well for the team or atleast how BC has a bigger 'plan' and everyone should just be patient.
                I agree on Doug Smith. However, I do not think he would risk his journalist integrity to make up conversations. As for the comments, now you're just hating on poor ol' Dougie.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  Picks would be good. Scola or Odom would have been pointless.
                  Odom would have provided good cap relief next year and subsequent years as he had a non-guaranteed contract with a $2M buyout.

Comment

• I laugh at how anytime there is something positive mentioned a handful of the usual suspects step up to try and discredit it. It is possible for a man to change, to turn over a new leaf. I have respect for hard workers, those dedicated to their craft. If Bargnani truely is dedicated now then I'll be 100% in support of him staying and I will cheer for him. The real question is, if hard work doesn't satisfy the Bargnani debunkers will anything? I think not. I think he could go out there this year and post a double double, play solid defense and that wouldn't be enough. No, it would have been a fluke or it would be because of Casey's coaching or it would be because Amir and Ed had improved so much they were making Bargnani look better than what he really is.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Odom would have provided good cap relief next year and subsequent years as he had a non-guaranteed contract with a $2M buyout.
                      So you'd trade Bargnani for cap relief? I would try to get a little more than that.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        The real question is, if hard work doesn't satisfy the Bargnani debunkers will anything?
                        Results.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Define "results" in regards to your statement Tim. I'd like to know for future reference.

Comment

Define "results" in regards to your statement Tim. I'd like to know for future reference.
                            I want to see it on the court. Bargnani working hard is great, but in the end it's how he does on the court that matters most. And that he sustains it. Working harder on defense is fine, but I actually want to see him make big improvements on that end, not just work harder. Grabbing a couple of more rebounds a game is fine, but I want to see a sustained effort on not only going after rebounds but preventing opponents from grabbing them as well.

I'm not going to give someone a pass simply because they work hard. Otherwise Araujo would still be a Raptor.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I laugh at how anytime there is something positive mentioned a handful of the usual suspects step up to try and discredit it. It is possible for a man to change, to turn over a new leaf. I have respect for hard workers, those dedicated to their craft. If Bargnani truely is dedicated now then I'll be 100% in support of him staying and I will cheer for him. The real question is, if hard work doesn't satisfy the Bargnani debunkers will anything? I think not. I think he could go out there this year and post a double double, play solid defense and that wouldn't be enough. No, it would have been a fluke or it would be because of Casey's coaching or it would be because Amir and Ed had improved so much they were making Bargnani look better than what he really is.
                              We've been hearing this stuff about Bargnani for years. Every offseason there's some spin that he finally gets it, et cetera, et cetera. How many times do I trust the boy crying wolf before I learn a lesson? Not sure why you find the justified skepticism funny. It seems spot on from where I stand. First it was Sam Mitchell's tough love that was getting him to turn the coner (how many times did we hear that stupid diving for balls and rebounds story on broadcasts). Then the tough love approach was wrong and Triano's softer touch was the key (cue the Bargnani doesn't miss Mitchell reports ad nauseum). Now, it's Casey's motivational rock that has Bargnani transforming his game.

We'll see. But count me as someone who has had enough of the moving goalposts on Bargs. Wake me up when he doesn't get winded in the first 3 minutes of a game and I'll start paying attention.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                I want to see it on the court. Bargnani working hard is great, but in the end it's how he does on the court that matters most. And that he sustains it. Working harder on defense is fine, but I actually want to see him make big improvements on that end, not just work harder. Grabbing a couple of more rebounds a game is fine, but I want to see a sustained effort on not only going after rebounds but preventing opponents from grabbing them as well.

I'm not going to give someone a pass simply because they work hard. Otherwise Araujo would still be a Raptor.
                                Us fans had nothing to do with Hoffa leaving town Tim. Hoffa sucked, he had no talent. Andrea has lots of talent.

Your reply is again vague enough so that if we come back to this later you can warp it into whatever you want. What if he plays average defense and improves to 7 rebounds a game, is that good enough for you? Please elaborate on what it is you're looking for. The reason I'm picking out you is because you're the most anti-Bargnani poster in here. I'd like to understand in exact terms what it is the guy needs to do to make you happy.

slaw wrote: View Post
                                We've been hearing this stuff about Bargnani for years. Every offseason there's some spin that he finally gets it, et cetera, et cetera. How many times do I trust the boy crying wolf before I learn a lesson?
                                No, we haven't. Not like this. This is different from the past. The past involved all talk about what he needs to do, coming from both the coach and GM. The past involved talk from Bargnani about what he needs to do. This is talking about what he is doing right now. About the positive changes he's making happen. The coaches, inside sources and the players are raving about him. This is different. Now we need to sit back and wait to see if it sticks and translates to a much better two way player.

Comment

Working...
                                X