View Poll Results: Grade Bargnani's game.

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    9 7.03%
  • B

    47 36.72%
  • C

    30 23.44%
  • D

    19 14.84%
  • F

    23 17.97%
Page 273 of 527 FirstFirst ... 173 223 263 271 272 273 274 275 283 323 373 ... LastLast
Results 5,441 to 5,460 of 10537

Thread: Everything Bargnani: The Legend Continues

  1. #5441
    Raptors Republic Starter DunkinDerozan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the usual suspects are at it again...

    when you evalute a players effectiveness on an individual basis you can clearly pinpoint scoring and rebounding as two direct stats which are representitive of a players individual value. Leaving the team concept out of the equation for argument sake, from our 2010 roster Andrea ranked first in scoring and 4th in rebounding. Last year was his fist season being the teams featured offensive player and he produced better offensive numbers than all but 14 players in the WHOLE league. So for those critics to keep putting him down must cleary beleive offense is not valued in this league,, and in that case i consider those critics watch another sport soccer perhaps?

  2. #5442
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
    the usual suspects are at it again...

    when you evalute a players effectiveness on an individual basis you can clearly pinpoint scoring and rebounding as two direct stats which are representitive of a players individual value. Leaving the team concept out of the equation for argument sake, Andrea ranked first in scoring and 4th in rebounding last year. Last year was his fist full season being the teams featured offensive player and he produced better offensive numbers than all but 14 players in the WHOLE league. So for those critics to keep putting him down must cleary beleive offense is not valued in this league,, and in that case i consider those critics watch another sport soccer perhaps?
    Why do you keep talking about his offense? No one is complaining about his offense.

    You want stats to show a player's value to a team?

    Own Opp Net On Off Net
    17.1 21.3 -4.2 -6.5 -5.9 -0.5

    http://www.82games.com/1011/1011TOR.HTM

    Points and rebounds tell you very little about a player's worth.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  3. #5443
    Raptors Republic Starter DunkinDerozan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Why do you keep talking about his offense? No one is complaining about his offense.

    You want stats to show a player's value to a team?

    Own Opp Net On Off Net
    17.1 21.3 -4.2 -6.5 -5.9 -0.5

    http://www.82games.com/1011/1011TOR.HTM

    Points and rebounds tell you very little about a player's worth.

    I think your missing the point... there are 15 players on a roster.. some score some rebound some pass some run faster some jump higher.. the point is you assemble a team where players compliment each other.. for example bargnani can play inside and out which helps spread the floor for his teamates... and a defensive center would help bargnani on defense by ancoring the paint blocking shots etcc... you sign or get players who help solve a problem, you dont trade your best scorer because he's not your best defender as well

  4. #5444
    Raptors Republic Starter bloodyhandedgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Barney die.
    Get thee hence.
    Go mess with someone elses team.

    We do not want you.
    We do not need you.
    We know you are simply baggage.
    We will not miss you.

    Get. The. Hell. Out.
    I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, hes listed as Chu Chu. I think hes worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name. -Tim W.

  5. #5445
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
    I think your missing the point... there are 15 players on a roster.. some score some rebound some pass some run faster some jump higher.. the point is you assemble a team where players compliment each other.. for example bargnani can play inside and out which helps spread the floor for his teamates... and a defensive center would help bargnani on defense by ancoring the paint blocking shots etcc... you sign or get players who help solve a problem, you dont trade your best scorer because he's not your best defender as well
    Your last line is exactly what bothers me about people who attempt to defend Bargnani. I mean, really. Is this your defense? That people want him to become the team's best defender? No, obviously not, so let's not put it in the argument because it lowers the rest of your argument.

    And I think you mistake players filling roles with players being liabilities. Reggie Evans, for example, is one of the best rebounders in the entire league. He's also not very good at anything else, and in fact horrible on the offensive end (well, except for offensive rebounding). He shot barely 40% from the field, despite hardly ever shooting outside of 2 feet.

    Julian Wright is one of the best defensive players on the Raptors, but because he can't be trusted to hit a jumpshot, it makes his defense far less valuable.

    Sometimes being really good at something, while being extremely bad at other things nullifies what you do well. And that's unfortunately the case with Bargnani. Were he an All-World scorer, then I can see jumping through hoops to try and surround him with players that will attempt to hide his liabilities. But the fact is he's really not that great a scorer. He's never been very efficient and, while he does create mismatches, he goes through far too many stretched when he does absolutely nothing.

    And have you ever stopped and thought that maybe the only reason Bargnani is the team's leading scorer is because they really don't have much talent? I mean, who cares who your best player is if your team only wins 22 games.

    Oh, and I recommend you read my recent post about Bargnani...
    http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfen...s-of-bargnani/
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  6. #5446
    Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    from everything i heard i'll be shocked if he's dealt. the dirk comparisons were a little nauseating.
    I don't know. With the lockout looming and teams looking to shed miserable contracts, we can't know for sure if they're just misinforming the league/media/fans. I wouldn't be shocked one way or the other. It's just too tough to say right now.

    In any case, prior to and just after the draft we'll all have some sort of closure.

  7. #5447
    Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Your last line is exactly what bothers me about people who attempt to defend Bargnani. I mean, really. Is this your defense? That people want him to become the team's best defender? No, obviously not, so let's not put it in the argument because it lowers the rest of your argument.
    I think that's a bit harsh.

    The one thing that no one has about whether Bargnani would be a better player (and part of a winning team) if paired with a defensive C is empirical data. We can all state our arguments until we're blue in the face, but the fact remains that none of us know. Both arguments have merit, and maybe after the draft we'll know if we're going to be in line for some of that needed data.

  8. #5448
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    All I know is Bargnani looked a hell of a lot less of a liability in those games Reggie was doing his work for him before he got hurt.

    Can we prove that he would be better playing along side a strong defensive center who rebounds well? No but it's common sense we're talking about here.

  9. #5449
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
    I think that's a bit harsh.

    The one thing that no one has about whether Bargnani would be a better player (and part of a winning team) if paired with a defensive C is empirical data. We can all state our arguments until we're blue in the face, but the fact remains that none of us know. Both arguments have merit, and maybe after the draft we'll know if we're going to be in line for some of that needed data.
    There is also no empirical data as to whether Kwame Brown would have success with a Dirk-like PF. There is no empirical data as to whether Adam Morrison would be a better player with a pass first PG. There is no empirical data as to whether Patrick O'Bryant would be a better player with a defensive stopper at C.

    You can use that argument a thousand times from sunday for every player who has ever played in the NBA. This is his 6th season in the NBA. We know what kind of player he is. Why do people want to try and fit a team around him. He needs to fit a team.. if he can't then he needs to move on.

    The ONLY reason people talk about this is because of Dirk. But Bargnani is not Dirk. Bargnani is closer to Channing Frye than Dirk. (I would also mention that Bargnani had Jermaine O'neal for half a season and that didn't exactly lead to anything special).

  10. #5450
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    There is also no empirical data as to whether Kwame Brown would have success with a Dirk-like PF. There is no empirical data as to whether Adam Morrison would be a better player with a pass first PG. There is no empirical data as to whether Patrick O'Bryant would be a better player with a defensive stopper at C.

    You can use that argument a thousand times from sunday for every player who has ever played in the NBA. This is his 6th season in the NBA. We know what kind of player he is. Why do people want to try and fit a team around him. He needs to fit a team.. if he can't then he needs to move on.

    The ONLY reason people talk about this is because of Dirk. But Bargnani is not Dirk. Bargnani is closer to Channing Frye than Dirk. (I would also mention that Bargnani had Jermaine O'neal for half a season and that didn't exactly lead to anything special).
    Difference is that Bargnani is one of the most talented centers in the league, Patrick O'Bryant, not so much.

  11. #5451
    Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Get a defensive C won't fix anything. Tell me, honestly why having Bargnani matched up against generally far, far more offensively potent PFs would help him on D? We can't just stick the C in the starting lineup. Bargnani would still have to get much better at rebounding and defense himself.

    And if that doesn't work, his trade value will be shit.

  12. #5452
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JoePanini wrote: View Post
    Difference is that Bargnani is one of the most talented centers in the league, Patrick O'Bryant, not so much.
    Isn't that exactly what this debate always has been? Is Bargnani one of the best, or one of the worst Cs in the league.

    Anyways it has nothing to do with how much or little talent he has... but rather the idea that there is a lack of data in a given situation to properly judge Andrea's worth/value/talent. I just pulled 3 names out of a hat... pick any name of any player to ever play in the NBA and replace them with Kwame, Morrison, and O'Bryant

  13. #5453
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    Isn't that exactly what this debate always has been? Is Bargnani one of the best, or one of the worst Cs in the league.

    Anyways it has nothing to do with how much or little talent he has... but rather the idea that there is a lack of data in a given situation to properly judge Andrea's worth/value/talent. I just pulled 3 names out of a hat... pick any name of any player to ever play in the NBA and replace them with Kwame, Morrison, and O'Bryant
    I personally don't think putting Bargnani with a defensive center is the main goal. If he improves and becomes an average defender and an average rebounder who plays with effort every night, then having a defensive center with him would make him pretty effective. If you put Bargnani with a guy like Chandler, Bargnani won't feel the need to improve his defense and rebounding and his responsibilities on defense. So I'm against putting Bargnani with a defensive center, only because I feel we shouldn't be building around Bargnani. If Casey can't get some basketball outa Bargnani, it's time to deal him. If he does start playing defense and rebounding, decently, then I'd think that putting him with a defensive big would definitely make him a huge threat.

    Bargnani is, one of the most talented centers in the league. Talented doesn't mean good, as he definitely hasn't reached his full potential, problem is, he doesn't seem to care or want to reach it... He's definitely not one of the worst Cs in the league, right now I'd put him right in the middle.

  14. #5454
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
    I think that's a bit harsh.

    The one thing that no one has about whether Bargnani would be a better player (and part of a winning team) if paired with a defensive C is empirical data. We can all state our arguments until we're blue in the face, but the fact remains that none of us know. Both arguments have merit, and maybe after the draft we'll know if we're going to be in line for some of that needed data.
    The line I was referring to was "you dont trade your best scorer because he's not your best defender as well". And that's a ridiculous statement. Obviously you don't trade him if he's not your best defender, but you very well might want to trade him if he's one of the worst defenders in the league. BIG difference.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  15. #5455
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    bargnani is the softest player with a 7 foot big body i have ever seen. i mean this guy cant rebound the ball and he has a height advantage. if bargnani want to stay with the rap, he better start player more aggeressively. other wise just trade him b4 deadline. picking bargnani 1st overall was the biggest mistake.

  16. #5456
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JoePanini wrote: View Post
    I personally don't think putting Bargnani with a defensive center is the main goal. If he improves and becomes an average defender and an average rebounder who plays with effort every night, then having a defensive center with him would make him pretty effective. If you put Bargnani with a guy like Chandler, Bargnani won't feel the need to improve his defense and rebounding and his responsibilities on defense. So I'm against putting Bargnani with a defensive center, only because I feel we shouldn't be building around Bargnani. If Casey can't get some basketball outa Bargnani, it's time to deal him. If he does start playing defense and rebounding, decently, then I'd think that putting him with a defensive big would definitely make him a huge threat.
    So it's kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. I think it's a very good point. Bargnani certainly didn't work very hard on defense or on the boards playing beside Reggie, Amir and Davis.

    And the problem with waiting to see if Casey can get something out of him is that if he doesn't, then he'll probably be incredibly difficult to get anything of value back for him at best, and trade him at all, at worst.

    Quote JoePanini wrote: View Post
    Bargnani is, one of the most talented centers in the league. Talented doesn't mean good, as he definitely hasn't reached his full potential, problem is, he doesn't seem to care or want to reach it.
    I'm not sure I agree. Bargnani is definitely one of the most talented players OFFENSIVELY. But I think defensive and rebounding talent are too often overlooked or at least under appreciated. Is Biyombo any less talented than Bargnani because his talents happen to be in different areas than Bargnani? Defense and rebounding are skills. They are skills that Bargnani simply lacks. Being PHYSICALLY able to do something is very different from ACTUALLY being able to do it.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  17. #5457
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    just trade him so we can close this thread

  18. #5458
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,638
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    just trade him so we can close this thread
    lol - agreed

  19. #5459
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    sign me up.

  20. #5460
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So what happens with Bargs now? I get Bargs is a 4 and blah blah blah but now Ed ISN'T starting and Amir is the second big off the bench. Hes paid WAY too much to be the second big off the bench. I guess they figure Ed is a year away from starting? He's too talented to come off the bench. I find it all weird.
    @jerboat

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •