View Poll Results: Grade Bargnani's game.

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

9 7.09%
  • B

47 37.01%
  • C

30 23.62%
  • D

18 14.17%
  • F

23 18.11%
Page 319 of 527 FirstFirst ... 219 269 309 317 318 319 320 321 329 369 419 ... LastLast
Results 6,361 to 6,380 of 10537

Thread: Everything Bargnani: The Legend Continues

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's just a comparison, they have a similar skill set and size. I suppose he could say "he reminds me of a thin zach randolph" or something like that? It's a comparison he'll always have. If he doesn't become great(lets say multiple all-star at least), it'll be "why couldn't he be as good as nowitzki?" and if he ever is great it'll be "he's become his own player, different from Nowitzki".

Post Thanks / Like

What in the world is this thread
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please

As a supporter of Bargnani (or maybe just someone who thinks he gets an obscene amount of criticism) - let the sleeping dogs lie.

Casey was being positive in the media - while I'm sure he'll be tough in private. That can only be good. Let's wait for results, and then we can talk in hindsight.

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about this, honestly, despite how much I roll my eyes at it.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt put too much weight on this.
    Coaches usually say stuff like this to get people interested in their team.
    Its the start of the season so obviously everybody's putting in work.

Im more interested to see how Bargnani plays 10 games into the season...

Post Thanks / Like

He said they are the same, not that they are equal. I would agree that their games are similar (or could/should be), but I certainly wouldn't agree that they are equal players... Bargnani is a poor man's Dirk. Fair assessment of the type of player Bargnani is, but I assumed it would make the Bargnani-haters' blood boil! lol

I like what Casey has been saying, especially about having Bargnani focus on playing good man-to-man defense and improve his rebounding. I also hope he forces Bargnani to play more in the post, where I thought he was quite effective last year... when he played there and didn't get lazy with the long jumpers!

Bottom line is that if Casey sticks to his talk and holds Bargnani accountable, then I am cautiously optimistic that this season has the potential to be a turning point for Bargnani's overall game. If not, then buh-bye... the haters were right all along!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Really? Casey says they're the same? I mean, he's used their names in the same sentence often before but I never expected it to come to this!

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

“Andrea’s next step is accepting the contact inside. Initializing, (being a) physical, post up player and taking advantage of his size in the paint. We’re going to run a lot of sets for him to get the ball to him inside that’s what’s going to help keep the other teams off balance ... it’s going to help him as an all-around player because teams can’t key on (only his outside game).”

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1gSdCeQWH

Casey says that Bargs has a similar skill set to Nowitzki, and that the Raps are going to run Dirk like sets that force Bargs to take it inside. The flip side of this would be "Bargs, if you don't take it inside the way I drew it up, you can plant your butt on the bench." Nothing wrong with that,

Post Thanks / Like

What I think is lets all take a deep breath and let this play out. Everyone seemed like they loved the Casey signing, let's see if he change Andrea's career path. A Bargnani who plays strong defense would be a franchise player.

Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    A Bargnani who plays strong defense would be a franchise player.
    As long as Andrea doesn't regress (and why would that happen - he's already the worst WP player in the league - 340 spots below Reggie - lol), Bargs will most likely be here well into next season (that thought has gotta piss off a few). Jonas & a quality 1st Round pick will have arrived, and we can all see whether this balanced concept really will work.

Besides .... with Chandler getting 57 mil for 4 years, Jordan 43 million (4 years) and Kwame Brown 7 mil (1 year -wtf) .... Andrea may turn out to be a bargain.

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope that if he does turn it around people support him. If they don't then their dislike for him has nothing to do with basketball and they should self-analyze it.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I just hope that if he does turn it around people support him. If they don't then their dislike for him has nothing to do with basketball and they should self-analyze it.
    hahahaha the guy hasnt even showed improvement and some people who post here are already throwing him under the bus EVEN IF HE IMPROVES. So i doubt that will happen.

apparently, even if he improves, will it be good enough for him to not become a LIABILITY?
    apparently, even if he improves, its better to trade him coz for sure he will REGRESS.
    apparently, even if he improves, will he be good enough to be a key part of a contender?
    apparently, there is minimal chance he'll improve because historically, he never showed improvement or the desire or drive to improve.

So dont bank on people support him even if he turns around. These people supporting him are as big as Bargnani's chances of winning the MVP award during his basketball career. Very big.

Me, ive always said ill support him as long as he's a raptor. And improve or not, as long as he's a raptor, ill be a supporter.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
    As long as Andrea doesn't regress (and why would that happen - he's already the worst WP player in the league - 340 spots below Reggie - lol), Bargs will most likely be here well into next season (that thought has gotta piss off a few). Jonas & a quality 1st Round pick will have arrived, and we can all see whether this balanced concept really will work.

Besides .... with Chandler getting 57 mil for 4 years, Jordan 43 million (4 years) and Kwame Brown 7 mil (1 year -wtf) .... Andrea may turn out to be a bargain.
    Interestingly enough, all those 7 footers play defense.

And shouldn't a balanced concept involve players who play both ends of the court, not getting some players who play offense and some who play defense?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    hahahaha the guy hasnt even showed improvement and some people who post here are already throwing him under the bus EVEN IF HE IMPROVES. So i doubt that will happen.

apparently, even if he improves, will it be good enough for him to not become a LIABILITY?
    apparently, even if he improves, its better to trade him coz for sure he will REGRESS.
    apparently, even if he improves, will he be good enough to be a key part of a contender?
    apparently, there is minimal chance he'll improve because historically, he never showed improvement or the desire or drive to improve.

So dont bank on people support him even if he turns around. These people supporting him are as big as Bargnani's chances of winning the MVP award during his basketball career. Very big.

Me, ive always said ill support him as long as he's a raptor. And improve or not, as long as he's a raptor, ill be a supporter.
    completely disagree with this. I would wager that IF Bargnani improved there would be almost no one 'hating' on him.

What you seem to be mixing up is some of us have no faith or belief that things will changes, and the changes that are needed in him aren't tiny or minor.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post

So, if your girlfriend constantly cheated on you, and cheated on everyone she's ever been out with, do you think you should ignore history and believe that this time it will be different? Or should you be forgiven for accepting that things will probably never change and move on? Which sounds more reasonable to you?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

I think some of you guys are scared of the thought of him turning it around. I think you've emotionally invested so much into disliking him that you're incapable of looking at this from a neutral perspective. I agree with Garbage Time, most will embrace a turn around and all that will be left is haters. I can live with that, in fact I'm hoping this scenario plays out because its the best scenario for the team I cheer for and I don't have a personal grudge against a man I've never met.

If it doesn't happen, well, whatever. There are lots of trade options and an Amnesty Clause. No need to get bent out of shape about the thought though. Like I said, some may need to rethink things if the "unspeakable" happens.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think some of you guys are scared of the thought of him turning it around. I think you've emotionally invested so much into disliking him that you're incapable of looking at this from a neutral perspective. I agree with Garbage Time, most will embrace a turn around and all that will be left is haters. I can live with that, in fact I'm hoping this scenario plays out because its the best scenario for the team I cheer for and I don't have a personal grudge against a man I've never met.

If it doesn't happen, well, whatever. There are lots of trade options and an Amnesty Clause. No need to get bent out of shape about the thought though. Like I said, some may need to rethink things if the "unspeakable" happens.
    It will just be the inverse of what already happened.

How many people who right now think the team should go in a direction away from Bargnani at one point were excited, patient or supportive of him?

When you play an important role on a team or take up a chunk of the teams resources fans expect you to produce accordingly... if you do they support you, if you don't they dislike you and if you hurt the team they get upset with you. The more relevance you have to a team the more profound the fan opinion is.

I can honestly say I'm not holding my breath. We hear this talk about Bargs at the start of every season - "there will be some change in him". I' can only speak for myself but I'm not expecting it to happen, be large or sustained. As always I hope I'm wrong.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post

How many people who right now think the team should go in a direction away from Bargnani at one point were excited, patient or supportive of him?
    Me!

When you play an important role on a team or take up a chunk of the teams resources fans expect you to produce accordingly... if you do they support you, if you don't they dislike you and if you hurt the team they get upset with you. The more relevance you have to a team the more profound the fan opinion is.

I can honestly say I'm not holding my breath. We hear this talk about Bargs at the start of every season - "there will be some change in him". I' can only speak for myself but I'm not expecting it to happen, be large or sustained. As always I hope I'm wrong.

Good point in the first paragraph and I certainly agree.

In the second paragraph, I agree. However I have succumbed to the same optimism again this year. In hindsight this is the first year that truly warrants a sliver of optimism. No more coddling, tough coach, defense is being preached and applied. All we need is accountability and we might be shocked afterall.

*Disclaimer* I can honestly say I'm not holding my breather, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post

I agree with this partially but I will say that it's not that simple. There are some Toronto team fans who have proven time and time again that once someone gets on their bad side it's really tough to "redeem" themselves. Mats Sundin is a prime example. The guy gave his heart and soul to his club and still he received b.s. from some fans and some media right up until he left. They didn't know what they had. I'm not comparing Bargnani to Sundin but if he does turn it around I fear it will never be enough for some fans and some media.

Do I think he'll turn it around? That is irrelevant to the point I am making. I will say I have seen enough amazing turnarounds in sports to know not to rule anything out. If it happens he has my full support. If it doesn't happen and there is no sign of things changing by the end of the season then I expect something to be changed in a more drastic way, like a trade... Especially if there is a PF in the draft who fits well here.

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    No more coddling, tough coach, defense is being preached and applied. All we need is accountability and we might be shocked afterall.
    Yes and it's exactly what he needs. He could have had it from day one had Colangelo not "baby proofed" Sam Mitchell. Smitch had no limits on Bosh when he came out and he molded the guy into a fine athlete. No, he isn't to receive credit for it all but he helped a lot, just like he helped Kevin Garnett as a player coach in Minnesota. KG credits Sam Mitchell with a lot in terms of how far he's achieved because Sam was so influential in his early years in the league. Bargnani missed out on Mitchell's effectiveness because Colangelo tied his hands. Well, Casey isn't being baby proofed and it's about to hit the fan for Bargnani. It's bring it our get the hell out time. I'm hoping he brings it.

Post Thanks / Like

“(Bargnani’s) impressed me with his defensive approach, his rebounding. Now we have to transfer that into a game situation,” Casey said.

“That has been his criticism and the only way you can do away with that is come out and perform as he has.”

Casey believes Bargnani is also growing into more of a leadership role after years of being a low-key locker room presence.

“He’s speaking up, asking questions. He stepped up in the team meeting the other night, said what was on his mind, what we needed.”
    You know, this may turn out to be a case of a kid who wasn't mature enough for the opportunities and responsibilities that were bestowed on to him at an early age. I've even known cases of this in my own life where it just took time for some of my friends to "grow up" before they could really appreciate what they could do and to feel a force pulling them towards what they must do. Immaturity tends to be about finding the easy way out, maturity tends to be about doing when you need to do no matter if you like it or not; you can't turn your back on it because your conscience won't allow it, you feel accountable. I hope this is the case. I hope's he's now feeling accountable. When you feel accountable typically shame comes into play when you fail your duties. That in itself can be a great driver.

“Andrea’s next step is accepting the contact inside. Initializing, (being a) physical, post up player and taking advantage of his size in the paint. We’re going to run a lot of sets for him to get the ball to him inside that’s what’s going to help keep the other teams off balance ... it’s going to help him as an all-around player because teams can’t key on (only his outside game).”
    Yes, finally a coach who is going to try to get our big men playing in the paint. I'm so tired of seeing giants standing around taking jumpers all night long. It has it's place but lets get balance. I like this.

Thread Information