No announcement yet.

Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think the amnesty clause had anything to do with it. Believe me, if Andrea was amnesty-ed, he not only would have received all his money from Toronto for the duration of the contract, some team out there would have given him a bigger contract than he's receiving now.

Attribute it to proper coaching and more of an effort being put forth by Bargnani.

Comment

• Gilbert Arenas and Rashard Lewis would like to say something about being overpaid.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
        I don't think the amnesty clause had anything to do with it. Believe me, if Andrea was amnesty-ed, he not only would have received all his money from Toronto for the duration of the contract, some team out there would have given him a bigger contract than he's receiving now.

Attribute it to proper coaching and more of an effort being put forth by Bargnani.
        agree, but mostly about the effort part (which, i suppose, can be attributed to coaching).

so, they're coaching up bargs...but what of the perimeter D? still reprehensible. the philosophy of packing the paint & preventing easy scores seems familar as well...
        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• This can't be serious, unless it's an attempt to win dumbest post ever. In which case, it's certainly in the running. I don't have the time to tear it apart in the so many ways open to doing so. Geeez man, if you don't like the guy, you're opinion, but this is..... never mind.

Comment

• I think it should be mentioned that this is charlz opinion. There are any number of factors that could be attributed to Bargnani's increased focus and effort. I'm not saying this is incorrect but we really have no way of knowing unless Bargnani confirms it or we get in his head (however if we could get in his head I am certain it would not have taken 5 years for him to appear to have figured it all out).

As long as Bargnani keeps putting in the effort, I would never trade him unless we were getting back a legit superstar talent (and we know how often they are traded). He is not paid like an elite player. He has the salary of a third option, like Luol Deng in Chicago. If he continues to produce as he has, he is not only an all-star but a very reasonably paid one too.

Comment

I don't think the amnesty clause had anything to do with it. Believe me, if Andrea was amnesty-ed, he not only would have received all his money from Toronto for the duration of the contract, some team out there would have given him a bigger contract than he's receiving now.

I was going to write everything you just did ... so now I won't and just repeat what you said.

Comment

• The amnesty clause has nothing to do with it. Bargnani gets paid his full contract no matter what if he were to be cut via the amnesty clause. In fact, he would make more money if he were made a amnesty clause casualty because someone else would give him a new contract on top of the Raptors' money.

Comment

• I think someone was wildly jumping to conclusions here. Being amnestied is not a bad thing for the player. It's just a good thing for the team.

Comment

• I agree with some of the posts above. Bargnani didn't have anything to be afraid of because he was getting paid regardless (whether amnestied or not).

Unless you meant that he loves Toronto so much, that the thought of playing in a different city scared him.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Unless you meant that he loves Toronto so much, that the thought of playing in a different city scared him.
                      Hahahah
                      Well he is going through the motions of becoming a Canadian Citizen.

Knowing Bargnani's penchant for Laziness, this could just be a case of him not wanting to lose months of Hard Work ..

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        Hahahah
                        Well he is going through the motions of becoming a Canadian Citizen.

Knowing Bargnani's penchant for Laziness, this could just be a case of him not wanting to lose months of Hard Work ..
                        I would imagine it is more of about shielding his income from Italian taxes and making travelling between the two countries easier.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                          The amnesty clause has nothing to do with it. Bargnani gets paid his full contract no matter what if he were to be cut via the amnesty clause. In fact, he would make more money if he were made a amnesty clause casualty because someone else would give him a new contract on top of the Raptors' money.
                          pretty sure that's not how this amnesty clause works, in that a player is never going to earn more than what he's owed on the contract from which he's being amnestied. if a player (say, billups) is amnestied, the team that amnesties him is on the hook for all the remaining $, UNLESS he's signed by another team (either via the auction process, or afterwards as a FA if no auction bids are placed). when an amnestied player is signed by another team, whatever that team bids is taken off of what the amnestying team owes him. in billups' case, his salary for this year (just over $2M) comes off what he was owed by the knicks; knicks pay him the difference. so, he gets all of what he's owed, but not more.

in bargs' case, you'd have to assume that if he were amnestied, there would be a number of teams interested in bidding on him, and the bids would likely actually be quite high (probably in the $5-8M/yr range)...leaving TO on the hook for just the difference...which is the ONLY reason anyone should ever suggest that bargs was even being considered a candidate (IMO, he never was).
                          Last edited by yertu damkule; Mon Jan 9, 2012, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I would imagine it is more of about shielding his income from Italian taxes and making travelling between the two countries easier.
                            i'm not sure there's really any relevant 'benefit,' per se, to andrea becoming a CDN citizen. maybe less hassle, but it's not like he has to worry about the nit-picky day-to-day minutaie like a normal, commoner would (that's what handlers, assistants, team reps, agents, posses, lackeys & homies are for).

income tax is based upon the laws of (and paid to) the country in which the income is earned; he'd have a CDN residence & a work visa, and pay income tax on his income to either the CDN or US gov't. he would only pay taxes to the italian gov't for property or income earned while in italy, would he not?

Comment

• yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                              i'm not sure there's really any relevant 'benefit,' per se, to andrea becoming a CDN citizen. maybe less hassle, but it's not like he has to worry about the nit-picky day-to-day minutaie like a normal, commoner would (that's what handlers, assistants, team reps, agents, posses, lackeys & homies are for).

income tax is based upon the laws of (and paid to) the country in which the income is earned; he'd have a CDN residence & a work visa, and pay income tax on his income to either the CDN or US gov't. he would only pay taxes to the italian gov't for property or income earned while in italy, would he not?
                              Most western countries have a tax agreement in place that if one citizen earns money in the other country then the other does not tax as much at home..... or something like that.

To be honest I don't know but I feel very confident in saying that there is no way in hell Bargnani does not pay any Italian taxes.

Given the ongoing European debt crisis and austerity measures being enacted through the region, I believe Bargnani is putting his ducks in a row to ensure he is not crippled by future taxes on the rich in Italy. Just my opinion and I very well could be wrong.

Comment

Good point for sure. Jay could not get anyone to work and DC seems to be a very good motivator.
                                But I can't reconcile such a HUGE difference in effort being solely attributed to Coaching... maybe I am wrong

Also I agree that he would have been picked up by any number of teams.

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                I think someone was wildly jumping to conclusions here. Being amnestied is not a bad thing for the player. It's just a good thing for the team.
                                Dont underestimate the embarrassment factor in a league filled with so much ego.

SEE Chauncey: http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssp...48484/33784047
                                Last edited by charlz; Mon Jan 9, 2012, 04:08 PM.
                                "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Working...
                                X