Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tim Duncan Retires

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tim Duncan Retires

SAN ANTONIO (July 11, 2016) – San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan today announced that he will retire after 19 seasons with the organization. Since drafting Duncan, the Spurs won five championships and posted a 1,072-438 regular season record, giving the team a .710 winning percentage, which is the best 19-year stretch in NBA history and was the best in all of the NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB over the last 19 years.

Originally selected by the Spurs as the first overall pick in the 1997 NBA Draft, Duncan helped San Antonio reach the playoffs in each of his 19 seasons and became the only player in league history to start and win a title in three different decades. The Silver and Black won at least 50 games the last 17 seasons, the longest streak in league history, and posted at least a .600 winning percentage in each of Duncan’s 19 seasons, an all-time record for most consecutive seasons with a .600 win percentage in the four major U.S. sports.

The 40-year-old Duncan comes off of a season in which he led the NBA in Defensive RPM (5.41) and became just the third player in league history to reach 1,000 career wins, as well as the only player to reach 1,000 wins with one team. He helped the Spurs to a franchise-best 67-15 record and also became one of two players in NBA history to record at least 26,000 points, 15,000 rebounds and 3,000 blocks in his career (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar).

Duncan totaled 15 All-NBA Team selections (tied for most all-time) and 15 NBA All-Defensive Team honors (most all-time), garnering both honors in the same season 15 times, the most in league history. The 1998 Rookie of the Year was named NBA MVP twice (2002, 2003) and NBA Finals MVP three times (1999, 2003 and 2005).

In his NBA career, the 15-time All-Star appeared in a total of 1,392 games and averaged 19.0 points, 10.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.17 blocks in 34.0 minutes. He shot .506 (10,285-20,334) from the floor and .696 (5,896-8,468) from the free throw line.

The Wake Forest graduate is the Spurs all-time NBA leader in total points (26,496), rebounds (15,091), blocked shots (3,020), minutes (47,368) and games played (1,392), as well as third in assists (4,225). In NBA history, Duncan is fifth all-time in double-doubles (841) and blocks, sixth in rebounding and 14th in scoring.

As the only player in NBA history to play over 9,000 career minutes in the playoffs, Duncan ranks first all-time in postseason double-doubles (164) and blocks (568), third in rebounds (2,859) and sixth in points (5,172). For his career, Duncan appeared in 251 postseason contests (second all-time) and averaged 20.6 points, 11.4 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 37.3 minutes while shooting .501 (1,975-3,939) from the field.

Along with teammates Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, Duncan is part of the NBA record for most wins by a trio in both the regular season (575) and postseason (126). Duncan and Gregg Popovich have the most wins by a player-coach duo in NBA history (1,001) and the Spurs forward finishes his career in San Antonio as one of just three players in NBA history, along with John Stockton and Kobe Bryant, to spend 19 seasons with one franchise.
    http://www.nba.com/spurs/tim-duncan-...ces-retirement

It was an amazing career and I'm glad I got to watch it from start to finish.

2. Like planetmars liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What a player. Most underappreciated superstar in the history. HOF

It fits perfectly for Timmy to retire via an email message.
    Last edited by rocwell; Mon Jul 11th, 2016 at 09:23 AM.
    "We were one of four teams left. We can be proud of that, but not satisfied" - D. Casey

Post Thanks / Like

"We were one of four teams left. We can be proud of that, but not satisfied" - D. Casey

Raptors Republic Veteran iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

tim duncan has officially retired.

aldridge got some big shoes to fill.

Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Easily top 10 player all time.. probably closer to 8 or 9th best. And he almost became a member of the Magic. What could have been...

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    tim duncan has officially retired.

aldridge got some big shoes to fill.
    The Spurs can now start building that statue.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

8. Like Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    The Spurs can now start building that statue.
    Sad day. I hope they use his "I didn't foul him" pose.

Or this one (plus it's the only way dwight would get a statue too):

But really, this is the most fitting and iconic...though as far as statues go would be little strange

Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post

That beard really came in after 19 years.

Post Thanks / Like

He was a most decent person...apart from a great player.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” J.M. Keynes

Post Thanks / Like

Going to miss these guys.

13. Like S.R., Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Best player of his generation.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Best big man of his era and arguably best big man ever. Going to be weird not seeing him out there. Half expected him to ply into his mid-40s.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Best player of his generation.
    This too.

Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Best big man of his era and arguably best big man ever. Going to be weird not seeing him out there. Half expected him to ply into his mid-40s.

Best big man ever is a bit much I think.. I think he's better than Shaq. He's close with Hakeem (although I may still give him the nod).. but KAJ, Russell and Wilt all are all ahead of him in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    Going to miss these guys.

Watching all 3 of their reactions as this happens is amazing.

But ya, I really thought we'd get at least one more season of Duncan .. but it really is like him to take the quiet road out. Give Kobe all the retirement hype, and just let Timmy do his thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Etan Thomas Has the Best Tim Duncan Story
    Dont know if it is....but read on anyway....

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...can_story.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Best big man ever is a bit much I think.. I think he's better than Shaq. He's close with Hakeem (although I may still give him the nod).. but KAJ, Russell and Wilt all are all ahead of him in my opinion.
    I can't say that if Duncan was playing in the 60s he wouldn't be dominating.

The spurs sported the best winning % of any team in pro sports over a 19 year stretch with Duncan. They won 5 championships in an era that had more parity than older days.

I really don't think it's a stretch to call him the best big ever. He had zero weaknesses in his game and won a ton.

23. Like S.R. liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I can't say that if Duncan was playing in the 60s he wouldn't be dominating.

The spurs sported the best winning % of any team in pro sports over a 19 year stretch with Duncan. They won 5 championships in an era that had more parity than older days.

I really don't think it's a stretch to call him the best big ever. He had zero weaknesses in his game and won a ton.

Yeah, Duncan would have dominated in Russel and Wilt's 60's, too. Like everybody else his box score stats would have appreciated the insane pace (about 25% more possessions per game) and his ring fingers would have liked the odds of such a tiny league (8 teams to start the decade and 14 just at the end).

The sustained excellence of Timmy and the Spurs is insane. Not one down year. 50 wins, the playoffs, and at minimum an outside shot at the title every year.
    "Control DeRozan's catch-shoot game. He rarely passes. Defend the ball. Much of what they do reverses to 1 on 1 play." -- Visitor Locker Room Whiteboard, Air Canada Centre, Feb. 26, 2015

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information