No announcement yet.

Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really think this would be a very underrated move....I think it would've been a good move before the Gay trade, and now I think it's an even better one.

*one underrated thing: we'd give up a player we want to be rid of who's not in future plans and nothing else. we would have no money in the offseason anyway, so now we can use exceptions exactly for the types of players they're for...signing a backup PG, and possibly another big body, a 3rd 7 footer to go with JV and Gray, whether he's better or worse than Gray.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Feb 11, 2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      @RaptorsMR doing his best to scare Raptor fans everywhere.
      Scare some. Wonderment for others.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        I really think this would be a very underrated move....I think it would've been a good move before the Gay trade, and now I think it's an even better one.
        Ok....you guys are starting to sell me on Ilyasova (assuming he can handle the 4 full time).

But have we analyzed this deal from Milwaukee's perspective? Why would they want Bargnani's contract...unless shedding a year of guaranteed cash means that much to them.

Comment

• Yep, Ilyasova can indeed be a very effective four in this league. And unless you believe wholeheartedly that this recent incarnation of Andrea Bargnani is here to stay, you grab that deal and run away with it. Perhaps even if you do, you run with it anyway.

Comment

ESPN lists him as a SF. That is why I think.

Yahoo! lists him as a forward and in fantasy ball he is a SF/PF. RotoWorld has him as a forward.

I think "Forward" is appropriate. As you mention the game is getting smaller and more mobile. Ilyasova rebounds like a PF and shoots like a SF. Honestly, I have not seen enough of his defense to make an informed opinion.

For all the love Millsap gets (and I love him too), if you are looking at offensive/defensive ratings:

Player/OffRtg/DefRtg

Millsap/113/104
            Ilyasova/113/103

I would be excited about Ilyasova. This is a guy who shoots near 50% on 3's over the last few months. That is Bargnani on steroids.... plus he rebounds so now we have Bargnani on 'roids and HGH.
            I never realized how close Ilyasova is to Millsap in stats (including advanced stats). Really surprised me actually.

I'm actually all for Ersan now. Would have said no before you pointed this out. He is excellent production for his contract. Millsap would be at least worth $11M and that's not even a given considering he's a free agent.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Ok....you guys are starting to sell me on Ilyasova (assuming he can handle the 4 full time).
              I think he could. Again, on our team, that will still probably only mean 25-30 minutes a night, with Amir getting 30 give or take 5 minutes depending on his fouls, and JV will be hopefully increasing his minutes throughout next season. Lets say I could see JV starting next season at almost 25 mpg, but easily being close to 30 mpg by the end of the season. Any scraps that are left at PF could go to Acy, or Gay/Fields in a small ball situations. I wouldn't even rule out that they could use one of the exceptions to sign a passable F/C to be the 4th big.

Comment

• Ilyasova is not very good at guarding back-to-the-basket 4's and is therefor not a great option at the pf spot. That said, his offensive game MAY make up for it...

...but the same can sometimes be said about Bargs.
                Don't hate me because I'm an optimist.

Comment

• ScottBaird wrote: View Post
                  Ilyasova is not very good at guarding back-to-the-basket 4's and is therefor not a great option at the pf spot. That said, his offensive game MAY make up for it...

...but the same can sometimes be said about Bargs.
                  I'd rather say that Ilyasova is the opposite of Bargs when it comes to defence. Bargs is actually quite good at defending bigger, back-to-the-basket power players one-on-one, where Ilyasova is better as a help defender and defending quicker PFs. Considering where the league is going, you will only need one low-post defender on your team, really, and with young Val sure to assume that role (we hope), Ersan becomes a better proposition, IMO.

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                    What about defensively?
                    His defensive rating is better than Millsap's. Other than than that.....

Oh and Milwaukee has a better point spread with him on the floor than off.

Comment

But have we analyzed this deal from Milwaukee's perspective? Why would they want Bargnani's contract...unless shedding a year of guaranteed cash means that much to them.
                      I have thought about it, and from their perspective, there are things that work about getting Bargs. First off, they don't have a single big man, post or perimeter oriented, they can give the ball to and make a play. He would be a good fit off the pick and pop with both Ellis and Jennings. AND, if they're going to trade one, say Ellis, then they will definitely need an upgrade in terms of having a legitimate scoring option next to Jennings. Again, none of their bigs, or wings, really fit that description.

Also, though no one likes Bargs' boards, but with Sanders an emerging anchor as a help defender, Bargs would be an upgrade for them over Ilyasova, who can't guard Cs. They could then put Bargs on certain bigger guys, and allow Sanders to float as a blocker. As it is now, Sanders would project to have to do both those jobs somehow, because Henson is also not likely big enough to guard Cs. Oh, and Sanders still needs a year or two of filling out physically as well.

And for a team like Milwaukee, shedding money is always a concern. They gave Ilyasova that contract, but for them, I think they hoped he would take another step forward, and he just doesn't have it in him. Better for them to lose that year of salary now, and get a similar player back who is an upgrade offensively (even at worse %s, Bargs can do a lot more) which is where the team projects to be weakest at the moment.

*one thought on the Ellis aspect.....They flip Ellis and Marquis Daniels to Indy for Granger. This lets George keep playing at the SF a lot, and Ellis becomes an insane supersub for them. For Milwaukee, they desperately need a starting calibre wing of normal size. For this to work, I feel like maybe in our trade, we'd have to flip them AA...I hope...
                      Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• MikeToronto wrote: View Post
                        I'd rather say that Ilyasova is the opposite of Bargs when it comes to defence. Bargs is actually quite good at defending bigger, back-to-the-basket power players one-on-one, where Ilyasova is better as a help defender and defending quicker PFs. Considering where the league is going, you will only need one low-post defender on your team, really, and with young Val sure to assume that role (we hope), Ersan becomes a better proposition, IMO.
                        +1...most back to the basket players now get shifted to C so it's more important to have a PF who's quick on his feet and long...Ersan is both those

Comment

F*ck.... and there is reality.

I can't see why they'd want Bargnani's contract.

Comment

F*ck.... and there is reality.

I can't see why they'd want Bargnani's contract.
                            It doesn't cripple them. It's a year shorter, and I'd be willing to take a piece of crap like Ekpe Udoh back, to help them more as well. We could just renounce him if we can't trade him by the end of next season, so we don't have to carry his caphold.

Comment

• Really, it's not outlandish for Milwaukee. THey'll never attract a big free agent. Bargs would be a big upgrade as an experienced scoring big. He would not take any minutes from Henson and Sanders, who are emerging as the future of their frontcourt.

Comment

• Why Trade Bargnani - Part 2

• 23.4 ppg, 6.4 Rb, 2.4 apg, 3.0 Stl, 21.4 shots, .435 efg%
                                • 19.7 ppg, 5.2 Rb, 1.6 apg, .9 Stl, 18.3 shots, .454 efg%
                                • 23.5 ppg, 6.6 Rb, 2.3 apg, .7 Stl, 18.8 shots, .466 efg%

WHAT DO THEY ALL MEAN?

The 1st set of numbers are ... HAIL TO THE KING numbers
                                The 2nd set are ... HELL OUT OF HERE numbers.
                                The 3rd set are ... HAIL TO THE KING OF HELL ... for 13 games at least (although the numbers reflect the full season)
                                • 1st set - Rudy's 5 game Toronto experience [40.1 mpg]
                                • 2nd set - Andrea's 2012-13 numbers [40.1 mpg matching equivalency]
                                • 3rd set - Andrea's 2011-12 numbers [40.1 again]

AB put up those 3rd set of numbers (in 2011-12), while being the prime focus of Defenses, and for which team expectations rested significantly on his shoulders. He also led the team in Simple Rating http://www.82games.com/1112/1112TOR.HTM . With more space to operate (via Rudy, Demar & Lowry), Bargnani should show a marked improvement.

2009-10 [with Bosh as #1] .... AB = .522 efg%
                                2008-09 [w/Bosh] ................ AB = .512 efg%

Add the fact that you have a 7 footer who's career FT% is .824, and you have yourself a potent 6th man guy.

What's the Point to all this?
                                Raptors should ride out Bargnani to the end of this season, then reassess. If he fits, then good. If he doesn't, then make changes. Play-offs (this season) are an extreme long-shot. Not making them means Raps can clear the slate (of their 1st round pick), and if not - top 3 pick via lottery -then all things turn out great, and Raps can grab a solid PG back-up for the 2013-14 season.

Last edited by RapthoseLeafs; Mon Feb 11, 2013, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X