No announcement yet.

Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The numbers you attributed to Bargnani are actually for January, not December. So that's only a 6-game sample, but I still agree with your point. Check out this comparison...

DECEMBER STATS
    ------------Points---Rebounds---Assists---Blocks---FG%---MPG---
    Bargnani......21.9.........6.5...........2.4...... ..0.4........50.....34.9....
    Nowitzki.......21.9.........6.3...........2.8..... ...0.9........55.....33.5...

Clearly Nowitzki had a down month, but the numbers are scary close.

Bargnani: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...?playerId=2987
    Nowitzki: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...g?playerId=609
    Last edited by jrdyck; Fri Jan 14, 2011, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
      i can't stand comparing players like this. years of hearing about "next jordan"s and "air apparent"s had really put me off to it.

and why only comparisons for greatness? how about some "the next shawn bradley"? or "ed o'bannon re-incarnate"? or "the second coming of eric montross"?
      LOL, if that second coming of Montross comes with healthy feet then send him to Toronto. The Raptors could use a big body in the paint at times to burn a few minutes.
      Last edited by Apollo; Fri Jan 14, 2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Andrea is looking better with each passing game. Let's not put comparisons on him. How about he become the best Andrea Bargnani he can become? (Stuart Smalley moment....)

Comment

• Tonight's statline, Bargs 35 pts, 7 rebs, 2 blocks, Raptors FTW

Barbo: 28 pts, 2 assists
          Dero- 12 pts, 5 fouls
          Amir- foulfoulfoulfoulfoulfoul

Comment

• Sam Mitchell Talks Bargnani

This is about a month old but I don't remember seeing it in here:

Now an assistant coach with the New Jersey Nets, it’s Mitchell’s job to help figure how to defend the Raptors, who host the Nets a week Friday, and increasingly that means figuring out how to stop Andrea Bargnani.
            “You look at the numbers he’s putting up, he’s becoming a guy you have to game plan for,” said Mitchell when I called him. “The way he’s scoring the basketball, the way he’s shooting it, you got to game plan for him. He’s putting up some unbelievable numbers.”
            “I always felt like he was the closest thing to Dirk Nowitzki I’d seen,” says Mitchell. “A 7-footer who can put the ball on the floor and shoot with range, and he had a mid-range game and I always felt like he was as better athlete than Dirk, so at some point you thought he might have a chance to be an even better scorer than Dirk because he was a better athlete. He’s going to get better. He’s a young player, he’s a very intelligent player, and he can flat-out shoot the basketball.”
            Source: TheGlobeAndMail.com

Comment

• I'd say he's close. He's having a good year. There still needs to be a sign that he has that extra bit of royal jelly in the clutch situation.

Comment

• sillydebate wrote: View Post
                I'd say he's close. He's having a good year. There still needs to be a sign that he has that extra bit of royal jelly in the clutch situation.
                i think over the years - bargs has shown to be a big shot maker. even in the course of a game, when we needed a big shot to stop opposing team's momentum, he would hit one. even something as trivial as saving the 3 point streak in previous years, he would hit it. that 3 in josh smith's face was a stone cold dagger - along with that 3 to tie it up in ny the night he scored 41.

dirk is probably the best shooting big man of all time. but to compare the two is very difficult b/c of circumstances. dirk was initially coached by don nelson and teamed up with steve nash and finley. he was given big time minutes basically right away and put in an environment where he could play through all his mistakes and play a style that would help expediate the development of his offense. i mean he got to play with nash and another high quality scoring wing and for a coach that lets you do your thing.

so the environment both were developed in were different...so we are here today and right now, bargs offense is pretty darn impressive considering he's the only guy opposing coaches have to try and stop. but can't.
                Last edited by djsunyc; Fri Jan 14, 2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                  I'm kinda glad that trade didn't go though. IMO Bargs wouldn't off been trying to work in the paint and would still be taking 3/longs 2 if it went though. We also wouldn't of seen how beastly Evans is.
                  Interesting... MJ took the wind out of my sails when he kaboshed the deal. But after reading your comment it does shed a different light on it. Drea has had a lot of room to operate over the last bit because of Reggie's injury & No Real Center to body the big guys.

I think Andrea has used *all* his opportunities to improve his game. In the last bit Andrea has improved his:

- 'Give Me the Ball. I'm The Man!' 8/10
                  - 'I Got Ice in my Veins' 8/10
                  - 'Coach.... I can Rebound!?!' 6.5/10
                  - 'Help Defense' Cause Reggie ain't there to help 6/10
                  - 'Running set plays' (Like the Baseline screen they set for him now) 7/10
                  - 'Getting calls & going to the line' Gonna shoot, Gonna shoot pump, pump....ahhh you fouled me!8.5/10

I included a rating out of 10 on each. He's still got room too improve but he IS improving!

Comment

• I love that pump fake he does, that either causes a foul or a defensive 3-second violation. It pisses the opposition off so much when he does that.
                    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                      I'm kinda glad that trade didn't go though. IMO Bargs wouldn't off been trying to work in the paint and would still be taking 3/longs 2 if it went though. We also wouldn't of seen how beastly Evans is.
                      disagree. chandler has never been used in anybody's offense. bargs would've still had all the room and opportunity to do his thing...

chandler with bargs from day 1 probably has us comfortably in the playoffs right now (in the weak east)...and then armed with TPE, we could've made a major acquisition too. so we could've been on a drastically different road at this point but that's another topic for discussion...

Comment

• considering this team sticks as it is (maybe with minor changes), next year should be judgement year for andrea.
                        this season, he can still get a free pass coz its his 1st season as the focal point of offense. but next year, no more excuses. he knows he should be the leader of this team, carry the scoring and rebounding load, and just be the superstar that this team needs. Personally, i think he can be that leader and superstar, but he's got a lot of work ahead of him.

I think a lesson learned from the Bosh era is, get Andrea the help he needs, straight up, no ifs or buts. We all know the ifs and buts with the Bosh era - O'Neal: "if" he is healthy, Turkoglu: "if" he can coincide with a true PG, "but" if not then change him to a standstill shooter. Jack: not really a true PG "but" he can convince bosh to stay.

Give andrea a true defensive shotblocking center, a create youre own shot wing and a true PG and he'll be happy.

Dirk had all these - Dampier/Chandler, Terry/Howard, Kidd/Nash. Once Andrea gets these then we can start the comparisons.

Comment

• So I guess no one wants to look at advanced statistics. People who say Bargnani is close need to watch A LOT more Dirk. And everyone needs to remember that while Dirk did win MVP, he was also on the team that collapsed to the Heat in the Finals, and then lost in the first round the next season after winning 67 games. In that past ten years, Dallas has been past the second round twice, and lost in the first round 4 times. Maybe Dirk and the Mavericks are not a player and team you want to try and emulate.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            So I guess no one wants to look at advanced statistics. People who say Bargnani is close need to watch A LOT more Dirk. And everyone needs to remember that while Dirk did win MVP, he was also on the team that collapsed to the Heat in the Finals, and then lost in the first round the next season after winning 67 games. In that past ten years, Dallas has been past the second round twice, and lost in the first round 4 times. Maybe Dirk and the Mavericks are not a player and team you want to try and emulate.
                            He is close to being Dirk jr, not Dirk.

Comment

he was also on the team that collapsed to the Heat in the Finals, and then lost in the first round the next season after winning 67 games. In that past ten years, Dallas has been past the second round twice, and lost in the first round 4 times.
                              The biggest problem with Dirk is the German in him gets fired up he starts kicking garbage cans like a 2 year old. His teammates pickup on it and loose confidence. Mind you he's controlling his temper much better now.

I have *very* close friends on the Swiss/German boarder. German people are some of the friendliest people you'd meet. Everything sounds like an argument when you heard 2 Germans talk. They aren't angry.... just have STRONG opinions! Dirk has a strong opinion about kicking over garbages cans in the Playoffs....

Andrea is just chilled... sometimes too chilled You need to get Italians fired up to see them preform! Somebody needs to elbow him to wake him up. He's just too chilled.... He needs to see blood!

Comment

So I guess no one wants to look at advanced statistics. People who say Bargnani is close need to watch A LOT more Dirk. And everyone needs to remember that while Dirk did win MVP, he was also on the team that collapsed to the Heat in the Finals, and then lost in the first round the next season after winning 67 games. In that past ten years, Dallas has been past the second round twice, and lost in the first round 4 times. Maybe Dirk and the Mavericks are not a player and team you want to try and emulate.
                                He carried his team to the finals. Regardless of what happened when he got there it was a great accomplishment in itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X