Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    So, let's compare them to the historical numbers:

Year Record 20+ games Winning percentage Record 20- games Winning percentage
    2006/2007 3-1 75% 32-29 52%
    2007/2008 5-6 45% 33-34 49%
    2008/2009 12-14 46% 18-33 35%
    2009/2010 17-10 63% 22-31 42%
    2010/2011 16-25 39% 3-22 12%
    2011/2012 9-6 60% 4-12 25%
    2012/2013 0-9 0% 9-15 38%
    Career 62-71 47% 121-176 41%
    Used the stats from basketball-reference.com.
    Now that is the type of stuff I like to see. Thanks, SoftEuro.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Meaningless and anecdotal as it may be in your opinion, we are talking about a guy who has played just 33 games this season.

In games he has scored 20 or more the Raptors are 0-8.

In games he has not played at all, the Raptors are 14-13.

In games he has started the Raptors are 4-23.

In games he has played but not started the Raptors are 5-5.

That is the great things about numbers, basketball, and forums, people can and will draw their own conclusions - and quite often be extremely different. Personally, I see those numbers and feel they are quite telling and relevant. I respect anyone who feels differently I just think they are wrong.
      I see SoftEuro provided 6 years of evidence that the point your implying with the "0-9 with 20+ points" flies in the face of his historical impact when he scores 20+. I didn't need the stats to know that what you were presenting was simply convenient anecdotal information to support a narrative/agenda, any less than my example of Rudy having 4 steals is bad for the Raps. Thank you SoftEuro. Don't listen to my buddy Nilballsa. I went through the cycle most have with regard to high hopes for AB, and despite my stubborn version of fandom, have pretty much given up on him becoming what he's capable of. I'm not "pro Bargnani", but anti over the top twisting information and harping every day, that strangely enough seems to have been ramped up the day after he plays a very good game at both ends.

As twisted as I can be about .........(oops, better be careful about how candid I am about my own faults/errors, because Nilballsa will sneak up from behind like a sniveling weasel and use it against me tomorrow, next week, next month, 6 months from now). Never mind.

Even though I've been accepting the reality of disappointment in Bargnani's lack of consistency and achieving the best he can be,,,,, and wanting him moved out as well, the incessant mud slinging here, and the booing him as he steps on the floor, has me praying he does the totally unexpected (yes, by me too) and totally turns it around, almost as much to stick it to some people, as it would benefit the Raps in getting value for him.

PS. I fail to see how responding with simply referring to me as the second coming of someone being dissed or laughed about, is in any way "respect" for a different opinion.
      Last edited by p00ka; Tue Mar 5, 2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• The reality is when bargnani is healthy enough to play and he does so, this team sucks.

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
          I see SoftEuro provided 6 years of evidence that the point your implying with the "0-9 with 20+ points" flies in the face of his historical impact when he scores 20+. I didn't need the stats to know that what you were presenting was simply convenient anecdotal information to support a narrative/agenda, any less than my example of Rudy having 4 steals is bad for the Raps. Thank you SoftEuro. Don't listen to my buddy Nilballsa. I went through the cycle most have with regard to high hopes for AB, and despite my stubborn version of fandom, have pretty much given up on him becoming what he's capable of. I'm not "pro Bargnani", but anti over the top twisting information and harping every day, that strangely enough seems to have been ramped up the day after he plays a very good game at both ends.

As twisted as I can be about .........(oops, better be careful about how candid I am about my own faults/errors, because Nilballsa will sneak up from behind like a sniveling weasel and use it against me tomorrow, next week, next month, 6 months from now). Never mind.

Even though I've been accepting the reality of disappointment in Bargnani's lack of consistency and achieving the best he can be,,,,, and wanting him moved out as well, the incessant mud slinging here, and the booing him as he steps on the floor, has me praying he does the totally unexpected (yes, by me too) and totally turns it around, almost as much to stick it to some people, as it would benefit the Raps in getting value for him.

PS. I fail to see how responding with simply referring to me as the second coming of someone being dissed or laughed about, is in any way "respect" for a different opinion.
          My juvenile barb was a joke that was typed prior to your reply.

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
            hahahaha the heinz-isms are back! hahaha

yeah, those were the good ole days.

i bet you those two are still here, posting anonymously, lurking.

i think its too bad that the mods pulled a Casey-Lowry on these two, asking them to conform to the team otherwise you're gone. But their old ways were much more fun, hehehe
            It's much more interesting when people argue and disagree, makes the topic of conversation more appealing and the will to participate even greater.

Come on guys we need some trolls up in here, bring your A game

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Multipaul was definitely a "nut-hugger". He once posted, "Bargnani, Gallinari and Bellineli FTW" on the main page, and then tried to convince us he wasn't Italian :|

Tim W. was just presenting his opinion using sound, logical arguments (most of which have turned out to be completely true 3 years later). I wouldn't call that being a "hater".
              Even the one about Amir being the best player on the team? i realize this is a bad time to bring this up..

Comment

Which is as valuable an insight as the raps being 0-3 when Rudy gets 4 steals, or 0-2 when he gets 9 or more rebounds.
                Totally agree. 'Stats' like these are almost as ridiculous as those "____ leads ____ 32-14 all time, looks like ____ is heavily favoured in this matchup". Yeah, because both teams have had the same roster for 30 years now.

Comment

You guys are obviously having a little brew-ha-ha. Keep it up, just don't go overboard.

I think isolated stats such as "if he scores 20+ points, the team is ___ this record" are very telling in one's ability to really impact a game, good or bad. But, it likely doesn't tell the whole story, because one player does not win/lose a basketball game.
                  I've never been a huge stat guy other than individual averages.. Never really believed in stats in general though. In a game like basketball, some of the best players in the league are totally opposite of what analytic's guys want to see.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    My juvenile barb was a joke that was typed prior to your reply.
                    Is that an apology? 'Cus it seems like you go 90% there and just let it linger for awhile...

For the record, I'm pro P00ka 30% of the time.

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                    I think isolated stats such as "if he scores 20+ points, the team is ___ this record" are very telling in one's ability to really impact a game, good or bad. But, it likely doesn't tell the whole story, because one player does not win/lose a basketball game.
                    I could be wrong but I think Allen Iverson started all analysis of volume shooters, and the idea, that scoring a lot of points is not necessary good. I think a case can be made that Bargs has that ability to negatively impact a game with bad shoot selection. I heard on broadcast recently that one of the Van Gundy's (i think Jeff) argues that FG% is more about SHOT SELECTION than it is about ABILITY TO SHOOT. I think almost all Raptors with the exception of maybe Amir (we can't argue he's our best player, but can we argue he's our most productive player per dollar?), that get regular minutes either as starters or bench players have poor shot selection. To some extent I think you can blame the players (Bargs, but also Derozan, Lowry, and Gay) but you also have to give some of that blame to the coaching staff.

I'm not sure that you can go as far as to say the more bargnani scores the more likely we are to lose, but Bargs has had 3-4 coaches now, and I think he has shown poor shot selection for a number of years, possibly his whole career? People used to compare him to a Dirk Nowitzki then a Dirk-lite, and now NOBODY is making any Dirk comparison's. Shot selection is only one of those reasons, but it is a very easy point to poor shot selection as contributing offensive inefficiency. It'd be nice if we could improve shot selection of the entire team, either by players improving themselves or by better coaching schemes.
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      who even cares anymore
                      +1

That's not the mystery

The mystery is why we give a $&#!

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                        Is that an apology? 'Cus it seems like you go 90% there and just let it linger for awhile...

For the record, I'm pro P00ka 30% of the time.

I could be wrong but I think Allen Iverson started all analysis of volume shooters, and the idea, that scoring a lot of points is not necessary good. I think a case can be made that Bargs has that ability to negatively impact a game with bad shoot selection. I heard on broadcast recently that one of the Van Gundy's (i think Jeff) argues that FG% is more about SHOT SELECTION than it is about ABILITY TO SHOOT. I think almost all Raptors with the exception of maybe Amir (we can't argue he's our best player, but can we argue he's our most productive player per dollar?), that get regular minutes either as starters or bench players have poor shot selection. To some extent I think you can blame the players (Bargs, but also Derozan, Lowry, and Gay) but you also have to give some of that blame to the coaching staff.

I'm not sure that you can go as far as to say the more bargnani scores the more likely we are to lose, but Bargs has had 3-4 coaches now, and I think he has shown poor shot selection for a number of years, possibly his whole career? People used to compare him to a Dirk Nowitzki then a Dirk-lite, and now NOBODY is making any Dirk comparison's. Shot selection is only one of those reasons, but it is a very easy point to poor shot selection as contributing offensive inefficiency. It'd be nice if we could improve shot selection of the entire team, either by players improving themselves or by better coaching schemes.
                        It's an interesting argument (even tho iverson is one of the best 30 players ever to play).

The real point isn't any of this tho. He has no idea how to make other players better. I agree that his shot selection is terrible, but that's not the reason why everyone hates him.

It's that his play is inconsequential. He doesn't help the team in anyway.

Bottom line is whatever he brings to the table ie 26 points every 10 games is nothing we couldn't get out of pretty much any player in the league who could shoot

IMO he has to prove to the team that he deserves to play every minute that he is given.

I honestly don't know how he looks Amir in the eye everyday

Comment

Creating new names is what you do best. I wouldn't expect anything less from you.

Comment

• Sig wrote: View Post
                            It's much more interesting when people argue and disagree, makes the topic of conversation more appealing and the will to participate even greater.

Come on guys we need some trolls up in here, bring your A game
                            there's certain levels of trolls that are completely acceptable... i dont mind the nonsensical tenforthewin type trolls... they're entertaining... and the single minded focused trolls that exist purely to argue, i'm good with them too.. say what you will about multipaul's misguided bargnani love, but NOBODY on this board since him was as optimistic about the team than him

i'd even argue that i'm somewhat of a troll, without intention.. as i generally derail conversations and distract from what the actual talking points are...

then there's the people who seed negativity... they just aren't enjoyable at all... i can't even understand how being a dick is entertaining for somebody... i used to get into it with the kinds of trolls who like attacking people, and have the mod warning emails as my battle scars.. but it's just not even worth it to play that game..

there's plenty of people here... well informed people.. with points of view both supporting your own, and going against yours... to foster really great conversations... there's threads i won't even touch, knowing what kind of thing i'd bring to the conversation (ie/ some kind of analogy involving strippers, pubic hair, and fingers in places on bodies that are usually exit points), i don't want to degrade the ongoing dialogue..

it's like when you're getting a REALLY good lapdance... nothing that crosses any legality lines... but just damn solid lapdance.. solid grind, decent above the pants stick work, great rack yet not shoving your face in them like that's their only trick, doesn't stink too much of that cheap victoria's secret body spray... then, the girl ups the ante by dropping your pants a bit and basically giving you a lapdance on your underwear...

that there is a solid dance that you can go home and relive in your head while you're getting down with your girlfriend...

you don't screw that dance up by stinking a thumb up her bum

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                              there's certain levels of trolls that are completely acceptable... i dont mind the nonsensical tenforthewin type trolls... they're entertaining... and the single minded focused trolls that exist purely to argue, i'm good with them too.. say what you will about multipaul's misguided bargnani love, but NOBODY on this board since him was as optimistic about the team than him

i'd even argue that i'm somewhat of a troll, without intention.. as i generally derail conversations and distract from what the actual talking points are...

then there's the people who seed negativity... they just aren't enjoyable at all... i can't even understand how being a dick is entertaining for somebody... i used to get into it with the kinds of trolls who like attacking people, and have the mod warning emails as my battle scars.. but it's just not even worth it to play that game..

there's plenty of people here... well informed people.. with points of view both supporting your own, and going against yours... to foster really great conversations... there's threads i won't even touch, knowing what kind of thing i'd bring to the conversation (ie/ some kind of analogy involving strippers, pubic hair, and fingers in places on bodies that are usually exit points), i don't want to degrade the ongoing dialogue..

it's like when you're getting a REALLY good lapdance... nothing that crosses any legality lines... but just damn solid lapdance.. solid grind, decent above the pants stick work, great rack yet not shoving your face in them like that's their only trick, doesn't stink too much of that cheap victoria's secret body spray... then, the girl ups the ante by dropping your pants a bit and basically giving you a lapdance on your underwear...

that there is a solid dance that you can go home and relive in your head while you're getting down with your girlfriend...

you don't screw that dance up by stinking a thumb up her bum
                              Wow....what is this thread about again? Epic analogy
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                                Wow....what is this thread about again? Epic analogy
                                anytime a new bargnani thread pops up... expect me to try and derail it.

the topic has been done to death..

Comment

Working...
                                X