No announcement yet.

Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Define "Marquee". Maybe it's just me but I think that word makes the poll more subject to opinion. Whereas words like "franchise" are a lot more tangible and easier to grasp.

The web definition has the word meaning as "large and often sumptuous", based on that definition I think most legitimate starters in the NBA are marquee players. Again, maybe it's just me who has discrepancies with the word, and maybe I'm being too anal, just my two cents.

Comment

• I feel Bargnani can become a leader. I feel he can become stronger and better. I hope he has a great season and silences all the critics around the world, and will finally allow us Raptor fans to be happy with him, and convince certain fans that he IS good Season is taking way to long to start

Comment

• We don't need NBA.com to tell us that. He's not vocal enough to be a leader, his defence is depressing and he's simply soft - in Europe and here. He's nice though - kinda like a man that would till the soil of your Daisy patch from time to time.
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Krix wrote: View Post
          Define "Marquee". Maybe it's just me but I think that word makes the poll more subject to opinion. Whereas words like "franchise" are a lot more tangible and easier to grasp.

The web definition has the word meaning as "large and often sumptuous", based on that definition I think most legitimate starters in the NBA are marquee players. Again, maybe it's just me who has discrepancies with the word, and maybe I'm being too anal, just my two cents.
          The writer defined it as a player on the level of Bosh, McGrady and Bosh. Probably a leader to some degree. Maybe the #1 option.

Comment

• I don't know whether Bargnani is a marquee player or not.

In 10-11 I do think he will become a "Marquis de Sade" player.

i.e.

He is going to inflict a lot of pain

The only question is.

Will he inflict more of that pain on Raptors opponents or Raptors fans
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

• "The writer defined it as a player on the level of Bosh, McGrady and Bosh. Probably a leader to some degree"

for one, i never thought mcgrady was a leader.
              second, i guess if you put 2 bosh together you could have a marquee player.

as far as bargnani goes, i have seen glimpses of his ability in the past and i'm anxious to see how he has developed for the upcoming season...

"With his team needing a win to keep its hopes alive of reaching the EuroBasket group stage, Andrea Bargnani showed why he has carved a niche for himself in the NBA. The hulking center scored 24 points for Italy last night in its gritty 81-76 victory over Israel at Yad Eliahu in Tel Aviv. The most critical basket of the game came with 1:12 remaining, when the Italian was fortunate to handle a rebound that slipped out of the hands of Lior Eliyahu and Tal Burnstein, letting him waltz in for an easy deuce that put the game out of reach. "

source here.

Comment

• mj1s wrote: View Post
                [I]

"With his team needing a win to keep its hopes alive of reaching the EuroBasket group stage, Andrea Bargnani showed why he has carved a niche for himself in the NBA. The hulking center scored 24 points for Italy last night in its gritty 81-76 victory over Israel at Yad Eliahu in Tel Aviv. The most critical basket of the game came with 1:12 remaining, when the Italian was fortunate to handle a rebound that slipped out of the hands of Lior Eliyahu and Tal Burnstein, letting him waltz in for an easy deuce that put the game out of reach. "

source here.
                Means very little considering the competition.

Comment

• FYI...

mar·quee (mär-k)
                  n.
                  1. A large tent, often with open sides, used chiefly for outdoor entertainment.
                  2. A rooflike structure, often bearing a signboard, projecting over an entrance, as to a theater or hotel. Also called marquise.
                  adj.
                  Being an athlete of exceptional skill and popularity: The team is hoping to sign a marquee player.
                  SOURCE here

Comment

• Based on my 20+ something years experience on following the NBA, marquee players are usually the ones who bring excitement to the games, maybe superstar/allstar level but not necessarily franchise or leader status. some can be both. i think gay, rose, ellis are marquee players, but theyre not franchise players yet. kobe, lbj, wade are marquee players and franchise players at the same time. as for Bargs, he can be a marquee player but he hasnt shown glimpses of potentially becoming a franchise/leader player.

i think the main issue with the last year's raptors was bosh declared he was the leader of this team, but he didnt seem to show any signs of it. yes he kept putting up double doubles but i dont think he did enough to motivate his teammates. the thing with Bargnani is, he never said he wants to lead this team, but his play can be good enough to lead this team. so somebody else should step up and be the vocal leader of this team. maybe jack. much the same with dallas, dirk puts up monster numbers but he doesnt proclaim he's the leader of the mavs, jkidd and terry i think do the talking most of the time.

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                      Based on my 20+ something years experience on following the NBA, marquee players are usually the ones who bring excitement to the games, maybe superstar/allstar level but not necessarily franchise or leader status. some can be both. i think gay, rose, ellis are marquee players, but theyre not franchise players yet. kobe, lbj, wade are marquee players and franchise players at the same time. as for Bargs, he can be a marquee player but he hasnt shown glimpses of potentially becoming a franchise/leader player.

i think the main issue with the last year's raptors was bosh declared he was the leader of this team, but he didnt seem to show any signs of it. yes he kept putting up double doubles but i dont think he did enough to motivate his teammates. the thing with Bargnani is, he never said he wants to lead this team, but his play can be good enough to lead this team. so somebody else should step up and be the vocal leader of this team. maybe jack. much the same with dallas, dirk puts up monster numbers but he doesnt proclaim he's the leader of the mavs, jkidd and terry i think do the talking most of the time.

I think the whole argument of "leadership" is overrated. Leadership menas nothing in the NBA if you have no talent. Talent wins and when you have talent 'leaders' guide the team to get the most out of that talent. The Raps had very little serious talent on this club last year (just 'potential' unproven youngsters and overrated players i.e Turks, Calderon, Bargnani) and have even less this year.

How many wins do you think having a vocal leader that is an average NBA player gets you?

For those that think Bargnani might be a "marquee" player, a star or a leader, how many players do you know that don't work as hard as they can at what they do, gain the respect of their teammates, coaches and fans (outside of delusional Raptor fans)? Not many.

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                        Based on my 20+ something years experience on following the NBA, marquee players are usually the ones who bring excitement to the games, maybe superstar/allstar level but not necessarily franchise or leader status. some can be both. i think gay, rose, ellis are marquee players, but theyre not franchise players yet. kobe, lbj, wade are marquee players and franchise players at the same time. as for Bargs, he can be a marquee player but he hasnt shown glimpses of potentially becoming a franchise/leader player.

Guys like Duncan, Yao, and Dirk are not exciting players in the sense that Kobe, Wade, LBJ or Gay are but they are definitely marquee players.
                        I don't see bargs as the franchise, i see him as the transition between two phases of the team's history.
                        What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

• JoePanini wrote: View Post
                          I feel Bargnani can become a leader. I feel he can become stronger and better. I hope he has a great season and silences all the critics around the world, and will finally allow us Raptor fans to be happy with him, and convince certain fans that he IS good Season is taking way to long to start
                          +1

perfectly said

Comment

• Brasky wrote: View Post
                            Means very little considering the competition.
                            i didn't realize that stats like rebounds only counted in NBA games. my bad.

Comment

• mj1s wrote: View Post
                              i didn't realize that stats like rebounds only counted in NBA games. my bad.
                              Are you stupid? Based on your logic, I suppose you could quote his stats from a ymca pickup game.

Comment

• so now you're comparing an international basketball game (with a number of NBA stars on both teams) to a ymca pickup game? and you called me stupid?

all i'm saying is that everyone talks about how bargnani can't rebound, so i posted a link to a story where in a crucial game for his country he led his team in scoring and got a clutch rebound in the last minute to seal the victory. i never said that this makes him a marquee player, but i did say that it makes me anxious about the upcoming season to see how much he has developed...

Comment

Working...
                                X