Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Good one man. AB is really our only reliable offensive weapon. DD is getting there, but makes alot of mistakes.

Can't stand ppl that say Bargs is "Lazy" or "Not Hard Working". Must be nice for these ppl to sit on their pedestals and brand a guy who is dropping 25 pts a game "lazy".

Typical Bargs haters, Tim W, Mango etc. They just hate for the sake of hating. Pay them no mind, they will just keep arguing even when they know they r wrong.
    It's fascinating how people still don't get it. As Tim has suggested, Bargs when not scoring is incapable of contributing in other areas, even the basic functions of a center. My take on this is that, when Bargs scores, he's a liability on the defensive end. When he doesn't score at his usual clip, it is just plain ugly. I hope that people that really follow this team and this forum objectively look at Barg's accomplishment (I know, I'm accused of being biased, we all are). The majority of the posts regarding Bargs still continues to revolve around his scoring prowess and how he can break you off the dribble.That simply was not the point of our arguments. He is a gifted scorer and might even flourish in a system where defense is a priority (see Dallas, San Antonio, etc.). Well, maybe Dallas. Popovich will not have any of his BS (much like Larry Brown, Smitch and Avery Johnson). But here as the first overall pick and the supposed # 1 or #2 option, it simply doesn't work. What he gives up on defense, he doesn't make up on offence (no matter how great he is). And when his knees continue to give him issues (due to age and conditioning - we've already seen that this season), what else does he have to give?

Look at his counterpart in Lamarcus Aldridge (drafted after him, same years of experience). He's averaging 21 and 9 (25 and 10 in January). While Portland has been decimated by injuries (I mean serious injuries to their starters, Oden, Camby and Roy), they continue to be playing well enough for people to scratch their heads (25-22 record and yes, they have a good coach). Is Aldridge more talented? Is he stronger or shoots better? Probably not, but he sure works a lot harder and gives more effort than Bargs. Also, he doesn't have a rebounding assistant or Roy or Oden barking orders at him on the sideline. He has taken that team on his shoulders because he tries. I can't say the same with Bargs. In two years time when his knees starts to go, we won't be talking about his scoring prowess and how he could be this or that. What we'll see is a player that will literally vanish into oblivion and never making an impact to THE TEAM.

He is a good, one dimensional player that cannot offer anything other than to shoot. Putting him against 4's in this league will not mask his defensive deficiencies but only magnify it even more.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
      True, but he's not being paid like a backup, and the team has not developed him as a backup. He's more valuable as a trade asset than as a future bench player.
      I agree he could hold more value as a trade chip, but for all we know his trade value around the league could be minimal due to all the negative aspects of his game .. and I thought you believed salaries aren't very important. The Raptors can afford to have one big contract coming off the bench so long as ownership isn't afraid to spend. He could surely help lead a potent offensive minded bench unit (which is inevitably his best case role on a good team anyway).

Comment

• What if we hadn't drafted Bargs?

What if, for our first pick back in 06' Colangelo had picked someone like Aldridge, or Rudy Gay instead of Bargnani? Do you think we'd be in a similar position to where we are now? Would Bosh have stayed for another season or two, with more consistant players such Brandon Roy?
        And had we not drafted Bargnani 1st, would he still have been picked up in top 3, and be where he is effective-wise today?

Was just wondering

Comment

• The rumors suggested the pick was either going to be Aldridge or Bosh. I think they'd still be in a similar spot now if that happened.

Comment

• Brasky wrote: View Post
            I agree he could hold more value as a trade chip, but for all we know his trade value around the league could be minimal due to all the negative aspects of his game .. and I thought you believed salaries aren't very important. The Raptors can afford to have one big contract coming off the bench so long as ownership isn't afraid to spend. He could surely help lead a potent offensive minded bench unit (which is inevitably his best case role on a good team anyway).
            I was wondering if anyone was going to make me explain the salary comment. Yes, I have said that salary shouldn't matter, and I do believe that. But my reasoning is that I would rather overpay someone who is going to help my team win, than underpay someone who isn't. Balls of Steel brought up LaMarcus Aldridge. He gets paid more than Bargnani despite having fairly close to the same production. If you're simply looking at production per dollar, Bargnani is the better deal, but if you want to win, you'll spend more to get the guy who not only scores, but rebounds and plays defense.

Obviously I don't know what his trade value is, and if it's very little, then obviously your try and make do with what you have and simply bring him off the bench. But from my experience following the league, I would tend to think that a lot of teams like to gamble on players like Bargnani. Personally, I thought Detroit was stupid for paying Villanueva what they did, but they did. Teams ALWAYS think they can get the most out of a player with talent like Villanueva or Bargnani. Somewhere, someone's probably written a book on it.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              The rumors suggested the pick was either going to be Aldridge or Bosh. I think they'd still be in a similar spot now if that happened.
              The Raptors were set to pick Bosh even though he was already on the team? Wow. That would have been a stupid move!
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                The Raptors were set to pick Bosh even though he was already on the team? Wow. That would have been a stupid move!
                I think he meant, if we had picked Aldridge, we wouldnt have kept Bosh?

Comment

• tim your arguement is just as delusional has the bargs supporters> Your point of view is so biased against andrea that no one should ever consider your point of view. The truth lies in between.

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  Did you really just compare Durant and Bargnani? Well, first of all, Durant is a SF, not a big man. Like it or not it matters when discussing rebounding numbers. Secondly, Durant is a good defensive player. And no one has ever called Durant lazy because he's a maniacally hard worker who gives 100% when he's on the floor.

I've got to say, this is a pet peeve. You simply looking at numbers and saying "well, this guy puts up about the same numbers as this guy, so obviously he isn't THAT much better." Bargnani's numbers compare more closely to Beasley, but you didn't choose to compare those two. Why?

The biggest issue I have is that you completely disregard just how big a liability Bargnani is on defense. A guy like Durant isn't a liability when he's not scoring. Bargnani is.

And you simply can't "cover" a player being a liability on defense, ESPECIALLY a big man. It always rears it's ugly head, especially during the playoffs. Teams are able to focus in on a bad defender and take advantage of it. The Spurs don't acquire poor defensive players (or if they do they don't keep them) because they have figured out you simply can't win with them.

Bottom line, it's easier to trade Bargnani and acquire another scorer than it is to cover up his glaring liabilities.

Comment

• People who believe big guys peak at 25 are retarded.

Comment

• The Rawth wrote: View Post
                      I think he meant, if we had picked Aldridge, we wouldnt have kept Bosh?
                      I knew that. It was a joke.
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• ryan andersen is a good player but is 6:9 and doesn't have a handle .

Comment

• Haha oh shit, my bad ha, but what if we drafted Roy? If wed had Bosh and Roy paired, reckon we would have had a better team than we have now? Not including the fact Roys injured

Comment

• We drafted bargnani based on a higher ceiling. Aldridge will remain the same player for the rest of his career. Thank god we didn't draft B-roy, though i love him as a player, there's a reason why he wasn't drafted first overall and that was precisely to what we are seeing now, in his prone to injuries. What if we drafted Adam Morrison? We could of gotten much worse so im happy. (Oh and no way anyway was going to draft gay first round and drafting him is a bad business decision as who would honestly buy a guys jersey with the name gay on the back?)

Comment

• bleeding_raptor wrote: View Post
                              We drafted bargnani based on a higher ceiling. Aldridge will remain the same player for the rest of his career. Thank god we didn't draft B-roy, though i love him as a player, there's a reason why he wasn't drafted first overall and that was precisely to what we are seeing now, in his prone to injuries. What if we drafted Adam Morrison? We could of gotten much worse so im happy. (Oh and no way anyway was going to draft gay first round and drafting him is a bad business decision as who would honestly buy a guys jersey with the name gay on the back?)
                              Umm, have you seen Aldridge's numbers of late? He's the player of the week last week (25 and 10 for January). He has been the leader of an incredibly decimated roster in Portland. He has in every way, leap-frogged Andrea in many ways. Ease up on the Kool-Aid man.
                              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                                See the funny part is, if you compare Barg's stats with Durant's its pretty close.
                                46%FG, 20+pts a game, 6 rebs a game. Dont tell me Durant is a way better defender than Bargs. He is more athletic, well coz he's slimmer, lighter and smaller, but the fact of the matter is, what Durant is doing offensively and defensively, Bargs is not far off.
                                dumbest post i have ever read on RR.

Comment

Working...
                                X