Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    Bargnani the 2nd best player in his draft - first season watching the NBA?

Roy - Aldridge - Rondo - Gay - Milsap happen to ring a bell?

Would love to see the list of starting Cs or even PFs who are/were worse rebounders than Andrea. (I'll give you a hint, don't start with this year because he is last on that list)
    Actually, brothersteve said that Bargnani was the 2nd best pick out of the top 5 in that 2006 draft class. Out of that class, I'd say that Aldridge, Rondo and Gay are better than Bargnani. Roy's knees won't hold up too much longer and Milsap, well, it's debatable, but I think Bargnani is a smidge better. Utah has been actively shopping Millsap - despite the fact that he has a modest salary. I mean, hell, they're looking at taking Kanter at #3 if he's there. It's kind of alarming.

You talk about Bargnani like he's a crap player when in fact, he's not. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the team whenever there's a next season.

Comment

• Sincerely, I believe Bryan Colangelo did a GREAT choice by choosing Dwane Casey as the next head coach of this team. Casey knows that Bargnani has tremendous potential. Bargnani is a 7 footer who can score from anywhere on the floor. Personally, I'd wait to see what he does at the start of next season before trading him. You can't trade a guy who's talented like this. He'll be only 26 by the start of next season. He still have a marge of improvement and that's on the defensive end. I'm eager to see what he'll do next season. If he grabs 7 rebounds a game or more by the deadline, keep him. Absolutely. If he's not, then trade him, absolutely!
      Last edited by charlesnba23; Wed Jun 22, 2011, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• Halifax Raps Fan wrote: View Post
        Not sure I understand the hate towards Bargnani. I agree that he is lazy and confused when it comes to defense.
        I think you answered your own thoughts (I would add rebounding to D)...he has the skills, but does not put in the effort or energy to using them on any semblance of regularity.

Comment

• Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim's comment wins the thread.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
              Sincerely, I believe Bryan Colangelo did a GREAT choice by choosing Dwane Casey as the next head coach of this team. Casey knows that Bargnani has tremendous potential. Bargnani is a 7 footer who can score from anywhere on the floor. Personally, I'd wait to see what he does at the start of next season before trading him. You can't trade a guy who's talented like this. He'll be only 26 by the start of next season. He still have a marge of improvement and that's on the defensive end. I'm eager to see what he'll do next season. If he grabs 7 rebounds a game or more by the deadline, keep him. Absolutely. If he's not, then trade him, absolutely!
              So you want to wait until it becomes obvious to the rest of the league that no coach and no system is ever going to turn this guy into a two way player? That's a good way to kill someone's trade value.

I am going on record here. After watching Bargnani for 5 years, I am 99% sure that he is never going to ever become a decent rebounder or defender over the course of an entire season. He simply does not have the skills to do it. Everyone talks about his offensive skills, but what his fans seem to gloss over is that he has ABSOLUTELY no rebounding or defensive skills. The physical ability to actually do it is different from having the actual skills. TONS of players have the physical ability. I could name you 50 players off the top of my head who had the physical ability to be very good to excellent rebounder and defenders, but who simply did not have the actual ability to do it over the course of a season. It takes a skill you cannot simply learn.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Bargs is probably here for another season. I think Casey can help him, whether it will be enough remains to be seen.

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                lol, that's awesome.
                "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

• Gotcha'. Missed that! Doesn't change my view though...

Comment

• brothersteve wrote: View Post
                    Seriously - Bargs is the second best pick out of the top 5 in his draft class - and LaMarcus Aldridge aka Chris Bosh lite only made a serious move past him last season after Roy's knees finally let him down on a long term basis (as expected when he was drafted) and LaMarcus was forced to step up his game - kudos to him for doing it so fast (he can now shed the nickname).

Bargs was the Raptors best shot blocker until last season when he was forced to take on a greater offensive load - AND YES he needs to figure out how to play hard at both ends of the floor - In all likelihood under Coach Casey, he will figure it out.

Playing like the last pick in the draft? - Let's have just a little bit of reality in our rants.

All that proves is that was a poorly scouted draft. If you were to redraft that class no way he's top 5. LA, BRoy (jury is still out on his health and future but he's been a better contributor on a better team than AB will ever be), Rondo, Gay, Millsap. The next level down has AB battling it out with Farmar, Thabo and Brown, Ty Thomas a step behind them. As for being the best shot blocker on one of the worst shot blocking teams in the L... wtf does that say?

And LA has been better than CB lite. He's better on the glass, MUCH better in the Post and so much better on D that it's not funny. Plus he's developed a nifty mid range game. He has, until last year, always been a 2nd or 3rd option, has better leadership abilities and a much better body. CB is LA-Lite and has been since before CB went to Miami and before LA was forced to be Portlands #1.
                    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                      Actually, brothersteve said that Bargnani was the 2nd best pick out of the top 5 in that 2006 draft class. Out of that class, I'd say that Aldridge, Rondo and Gay are better than Bargnani. Roy's knees won't hold up too much longer and Milsap, well, it's debatable, but I think Bargnani is a smidge better. Utah has been actively shopping Millsap - despite the fact that he has a modest salary. I mean, hell, they're looking at taking Kanter at #3 if he's there. It's kind of alarming.

You talk about Bargnani like he's a crap player when in fact, he's not. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the team whenever there's a next season.
                      yes I forgot. When you begin to limit analysis to smaller windows Bargnani does look better. If we actually look at the entire draft class (which I would also note may have been the worst draft class in the last decade or more) he suddenly drops from the "2nd best". Roys knees may not hold up, but there is no doubt he was a better player.

I think Bargnani is crap for his contract and how he's used....he's also a crap defender and a crap rebounder. Thats not exactly a suprise. Crap player?... well I guess that comes down to how one defines it....but "...Bargnani like he's a crap player when in fact, he's not" is not a fact at all.

I do also think he will be on the team next season. I said that right at the end of this past season and after Colangelo's post season press conference. That hardly means its a good thing for this team or the right choice.

atleast he's the best at something:

http://courtsideanalyst.wordpress.co...ers-in-2010-11
                      Last edited by GarbageTime; Wed Jun 22, 2011, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        once again, sir, your anti-bargs comments trump all others. thread should be closed now.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                          once again, sir, your anti-bargs comments trump all others. thread should be closed now.
                          "i can't wait for Tim W to wake up. This thread will give him a conniption fit"

Did no one ever tell you to be careful what you wish for?
                          Last edited by GarbageTime; Wed Jun 22, 2011, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• I've watched bargnani for ALL 5 of his NBA seasons
                            at least 75% of his rookie games
                            100%+ of his second season (lived w/ my dad who got an hd tv, and the sports package that including Raptors TV, when it ensured you could watch every game!) I watched many games more than once thanks to the helpful "game in an hour" program.

about 50% of the last 3.

Here's what I've noticed. At the end of season 3 and 4. I was saying the same thing. If only he could be better rebounder and team defender. He has had THE SAME problems for 3 full seasons and STILL has them. If you want to make a prediction about human behaviour, the safest assumption is to assume that people will act in the same manner in which they have acted in the past. Do people break these assumptions all the time? Of course, but that doesn't mean we are better off making decisions based on what people, have done, NOT on what the may (or may not).

Now, if Bargnani, somehow manages to over come his glaring defensive and rebounding liabilities will I admit that I was wrong? OF COURSE. And will I cheer for him? OF COURSE. Will I say that coangelo was smarter than me and kept the big guy even when I was shopping him? PROBABLY NOT. The reason being that the odds are HEAVILY stacked against bargnani being effective at both ends of the court. THE BEST case scenario is that his defensive liabilities are "hidden". That's not a good enough reason to keep the guy. The smart GM would be shopping bargs and if he got a good offer, so long. I hope that Casey does something with this guy. I really do! I say potential in him in his rookie and sophomore season, but he still has overcome his deficiencies three years later.

I can't say i'm 99% like tim, but i'm at least 84.7666666666666(repeator)% that we have bargs at his best. On a better team his percentages and efficiency go up, and you can hide his defense a little bit better, but he doesn't change as a player. And to think otherwise is banking on 15.23333(repeator)% and that kind of makes you not very smart. (The general you, not YOU specifically, I'm sure you could kill all kinds of intelligence tests).

I apologize for the CAPS but barg's has a greater effect on my keyboard than he does on the glass.
                            Last edited by ezz_bee; Wed Jun 22, 2011, 02:33 PM.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                              "i can't wait for Tim W to wake up. This thread will give him a conniption fit"

Did no one ever tell yoy to be careful what you wish for?
                              why? his reaction to the thread was exactly what i was hoping for.

Comment

• I would prefer to see what Casey can do with Bargnani. I don't think the raptors are getting offers for him that would benefit our team. He does have value on this team. I think most of you are being a little over critical of him. I don't think we should give him away for nothing.

If he doesn't change his play on the defensive end, and we aren't getting fair value, I think we should move him out of the starting line up. Detlef Schrempf role.

Comment

Working...
                                X