• Show
Clear All

• Rapzilla wrote: View Post

Come on, man! Be the best! You can do it! *Happy Gilmore guy*
    And no mention of Primo?

Comment

• lol @ people giving him an F..

Comment

• I think they are saying "Budapest" not "be the best". Check it out from 1:11 on. And judging from everyone's accent it could be in Hungary.
        Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

• bargs will be effective next year because his offense will make up for his lack of defense. not saying he will be better defensively, but his offense will make up for his lack of defense so i think he will have a positive impact
          Last edited by Mr.Grinch; Thu Jul 14, 2011, 11:53 AM.
          http://websitedweeb.userboard.net-Introduce your website. No signup required!

Comment

• Mr.Grinch wrote: View Post
            bargs will be effective next year because his offense will make up for his lack of defense. not saying he will be better defensively, but his offense will make up for his lack of defense so i think he will have a positive impact
            As opposed to last year when his offense didn't make up for his lack of defense?
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• hahaha i cant believe youre still nagging over comments like this, Tim.
              you know how well thought out comments like this are, hehehe

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                hahaha i cant believe youre still nagging over comments like this, Tim.
                you know how well thought out comments like this are, hehehe
                Ya, I know. I'm like that fish who gets caught over and over again because I can't resist the bait. I've had more hooks in my mouth than Charlie Sheen! (you have to think about that one)
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  Ya, I know. I'm like that fish who gets caught over and over again because I can't resist the bait. I've had more hooks in my mouth than Charlie Sheen! (you have to think about that one)
                  hahahaha winning!!

Comment

• Rapzilla wrote: View Post

Come on, man! Be the best! You can do it! *Happy Gilmore guy*
                    You gotta give Bargnani credit for having a high moral standing. He couldn't in good conscience say "be the best"

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      As opposed to last year when his offense didn't make up for his lack of defense?
                      Im just saying that he will get better at offense next year and that`ll make up for his defense.
                      http://websitedweeb.userboard.net-Introduce your website. No signup required!

Comment

• Mr.Grinch wrote: View Post
                        Im just saying that he will get better at offense next year and that`ll make up for his defense.
                        a) We don't actually know whether he will get better on offense. There's a good chance he won't. When playing time and shots are taken into consideration, we haven't seen a whole lot of statistical improvement from Bargnani over the five years, and in fact have seen some regression in some areas (3 point shooting percentage).

b) He'd have to make a HUGE improvement on offense to make up for his horrible defense. Like, at least, 26 ppg while scoring more efficiently than he did last year. I don't see that happening.

It's not as if Bargnani has been close to having a positive effect on the floor and just needs a little tweak. He's had one of the more negative influences on his team in the entire league. This is why I don't understand people continuing to defend the guy.
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• It saddens me how much Dwaye Casey talks this guy up. It means he's sticking around at least for another while, and I have a sneaking suspicion that BC hired the guy because he thinks he can turn Bargs into the next Dirk and is willing to play him at his "natural position" *shudders*. I can only hope Casey holds true to his word and holds people accountable on defence, since that'll mean Bargs would get benched for his complete lack of it. If Messina is so in love with the guy, we need to trade Bargs to the Lakers for whatever. I dont care if it's Odom, Brown, and a 1st rd pick, I'd still do it if it meant getting rid of this dead weight.

Comment

• Ice_man wrote: View Post
                            It saddens me how much Dwaye Casey talks this guy up. It means he's sticking around at least for another while, and I have a sneaking suspicion that BC hired the guy because he thinks he can turn Bargs into the next Dirk and is willing to play him at his "natural position" *shudders*. I can only hope Casey holds true to his word and holds people accountable on defence, since that'll mean Bargs would get benched for his complete lack of it. If Messina is so in love with the guy, we need to trade Bargs to the Lakers for whatever. I dont care if it's Odom, Brown, and a 1st rd pick, I'd still do it if it meant getting rid of this dead weight.
                            He is talking him up because it is the most prudent approach to take. He is the new coach coming in so he doesnt want to alienate any one before he gets the opportunity to at least see them first and get to scream in their ear. He doesnt want to be negative about him because it lowers his value for any potential trade. There is nothing to be achieved by being negative of any player in the league...one never knows when it come back to bite you.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                              He doesnt want to be negative about him because it lowers his value for any potential trade. There is nothing to be achieved by being negative of any player in the league...one never knows when it come back to bite you.
                              exactly. what is he expected to say? "Yo, this dude is so CRAP.... who are you willing to give up for him? Did i mention Barg's is AWFUL? Would you be willing to throw in draft picks also to take on the defensive liability he's going to provide you?"

Comment

• The Bargnani "Terrible Defender" Myth?

First things first, mods feel free to move this over to the everything bargnani thread when you feel it's time to move.

I apologize for this post in advance, but it is a slow news cycle and this guy does actually use numbers to make his case so (theoretically) we can have an intelligent discussion about his numbers and whether they equate to bargs not being a terrible defender.

I came across this article in bleacher report and thought that it would make me laugh. turns out the guy does actually use statistics to make his case. Personally, I've always felt like Bargs was a passable man defender, but not "very good" man defender as this article suggests. The only problem I have with the article is the author doesn't do a good job of putting bargs numbers within the context of other players, so despite looking like good numbers I don't know how they hold up to the numbers that other players are putting up in the same situation(s).

View the article in its entirety HERE

However, is this Bargnani’s fault, and is he truly a “terrible” defender. To be terrible, you shouldn’t really be able to do anything good (in this case, on the defensive end). Does Bargnani fit into this category?
                                Not sure I agree with this definition. Let's say player X does everything above average to good, except for 1 specific thing. Now this specific thing he does unbelievable bad and his deficiency is exploited 80% of the time buy the opposing teams. Would you call this guy a terrible defender? I probably would. Not saying that example applies to bargs, just that I'm not sure I agree with his definition. But that's mostly just splitting hairs.

On to the good stuff... everything in bold and italics is highlighted by yours truly.

On Ball Defense

Despite the reputation, Bargnani is actually a very good on ball defender, both on the block and when put in isolation one-on-one situations.

In the 205 times he was posted up last season, Bargnani held his opponent to just 182 points (0.888 PPP) on just 46.8% shooting.
                                How good are those numbers? How does Bargs compare to other players/starters/C and PFs in that situation?

Even better than his post defense is Bargnani’s one-on-one defense in isolation situations. When faced with isolation situations, Bargnani is in the top 17% of the NBA in terms of Points Per Possession (PPP) allowed, giving up just 0.684 points per possession on 29.7% shooting.
                                Top 17% sounds good, but I'd still like a more specific comparison to other players in a similar role.

Off Ball Defense/Rebounding

This isn’t to say that Bargnani is a tremendous defender, there is a reason why he has a reputation as a bad defender, and that reason is his help defense and poor defensive rebounding. Bargnani is not good at all when it comes to recognizing when he should send help and when he should stick with his man.
                                He also has a video demonstrating how bad bargs is at help defense... +1 for using game tape!

Even at times, his own man gets open looks on him when working off of the basketball. In “Spot Up” situations, opponents are shooting 49.4% (eFG% 60.6%) and posting a PPP of 1.142, which is a number that places him in the bottom 15% of the NBA:

Bargnani’s lack of understanding when it comes to help defense really hurts him in a number of ways. First, he doesn’t really know how to help properly, so when he does help, he usually ends up turning his back to his own man, making it difficult to return to him and contest a shot. He also struggles understanding rotations. He never finishes off rotations correctly and always seems to run at a shooter when it is too late.
                                Also included in defense in my opinion is rebounding. To end a possession, you need to be able to secure the defensive rebound. This is something that Bargnani doesn’t do, almost ever. Bargnani’s Defensive Rebound Rate was the second worst in the NBA among centers who play at least 20 minutes per game in at least 20 games (behind Brook Lopez). He doesn’t have the size, or the want to frankly, to get in there and grab rebounds. It should be at least mentioned that Bargnani’s DRR of 13.9 last year, the worst of his career, happened with Reggie Evans (a rebounding machine) playing next to him (his DRR holds around 16.0 for his career, which is still below average but not as bad as 13.9).

Conclusion

So is Bargnani a terrible defender? I got to say that this one is “busted” in my opinion. Does he deserve a large part of the blame for last year’s poor defense? Yes, but in my opinion, that doesn’t mean that he is this terrible defender that you can’t put out there. In my opinion he can be an average or even a good defender moving forward. It sounds crazy, but if you break things down and look at them, it isn’t that far fetched. First of all, he can stop players when they go at him one-on-one, whether in the post or out the outside in isolation. Second, he is still 26, I know he has been in the pros for a while now, but he is still young and is still learning.

Although he does have some numbers to support the argument that bargs is a descent man defender, help defense and def rebounding are HUGE parts of the game, and I am not as optimistic about barg's ability to improve. Is bargs a "terrible" defender? Maybe not. He just might be a really bad defender.

Anyway, more fire for the bargs thread. Have fun with it!
                                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                                X