No announcement yet.

Everything Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bargnani hasn't even faced 100 possessions yet. Opponents have gone 3 for 28 in spot up situations against him. That's what you would call an outlier. Let's not be ridiculous about our expectations for him. He's got the whole season to establish himself as a legit, two-way player.

Comment

• More Twatter generated rubbish :

Andrea Bargnani
      M.V.P
      M.V.P
      M.V.P
      M.V.P

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        Bargnani is playing great, but I don't really understand this statistic. It obviously is not the same as points per 100 possessions (ie, defensive rating) because if I look on basketball-reference.com, Bargnani has a DRating of 105.

Doing a quick search of all players who played a minimum of 10 games, Bargnani is ranked 197th:
        http://www.basketball-reference.com/...asc=Y&offset=0

105 is pretty good, but that doesn't make him a great defender. I'd think anything below 100 is the mark of a great defender. 105 is about an average defender. The one thing that I like about his defense this year is that he doesn't appear to be a liability on that end like he has been showing in previous years.
        PPP is a stat DraftExpress.com uses quite frequently to gauge defense in NBA prospects.

My understanding is it is the average points scored per possession including 2pt, 3pt, and ft.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          PPP is a stat DraftExpress.com uses quite frequently to gauge defense in NBA prospects.

My understanding is it is the average points scored per possession including 2pt, 3pt, and ft.
          Maybe I am wrong, but I think the PPP numbers are coming from Synnergysports ( DX uses them ). The basketball-reference DRat's are also just estimates. Synnergy grades you on play's you were directly involved in, basketball-reference uses a formula with data derived from the box score. Estimated DRat's are team stats.

You can pay for more in depth analysis, and video, but a good portion of what's there is free. http://www.mysynergysports.com/

Comment

• I'm going to refer to a post of myself (again...) during the summer. There was a debate about Bargnani's defense (I know, really?) going on after two interesting articles on the matter by Sebastian Pruiti from playbook.com which was probably missed by a lot of you, because it was in the summertime. Because they were indeed interesting, certainly in light of the small sample sized defense produced by Bargnani this year, I'll post the links.

jonas-valanciunas-andrea-bargnani-can-work-defensively/

http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/07/15/nba-mythbusters-is-andrea-bargnani-a-terrible-defender/

After this I researched the Bargnani's isolation defense based on Synergy's ppp stats. I also watched all the plays covered by the stats.

The conclusion was that Bargnani was indeed not a bad individual defender and that he didn't only defend weak offensive players. Because of this conclusion I can honestly say that I'm not as surprised as some others by his defense this year.

However, I do agree that his stats are now somewhat skewed because I agree with big_chris that the 3 of 28 on spot up situations is an outlier.

Nevertheless we should expect better defensive stats for Bargnani on spot-up situations than last year going forward. The team as a whole is doing much better in these situations than last year, not in the least because the defensive rotations and help defense are better than last year. Last year, as a team, we had opponents score 1,05 ppp on spot-up situations, 27th in the league. This year, after about 400 spot-up possessions, we are 15th in the league allowing 0,91 ppp.

Doing (quite a lot) better on spot-up situations (because of improved help defense and better rotations on the team) will automatically make Bargnani an above average defender going foward even if his effort won't consistently be the same as it was in the first (few) games.

Comment

• Since there have been no grizzly bear attacks at the ACC, Bargnani is also rated #1 vs grizzly bear attacks.

Comment

• uhhh... bargs is back and had a monster game.... what gives with it being like crickets in the busiest thread ever in the history of the board?

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                  uhhh... bargs is back and had a monster game.... what gives with it being like crickets in the busiest thread ever in the history of the board?
                  Everyone knows how to hate.
                  Few have learned to appreciate.

p.s. He only had 6 rebounds. He sucks.

Comment

• Bargs has developed an amazing defensive move that every professional basketball player should have..

you know.. when he SHUTS EVERYONE UP.

edit: before the haters go all whiney little girlish... im not really a big bargs fan... so before you start up, shut up.

Comment

Bargs has developed an amazing defensive move that every professional basketball player should have..

Exactly.

p.s. my prior p.s. was a little good natured ribbing to all his less than enthusiastic followers.

Comment

• hahahaha exactly. Tim probably had typed up this long rant, rubbing his hands, doing that evil laugh....
                        Then he turns on the telly and sees the line... 34pts, 6rebs, 2 asts, 2stls and 1 blk, in 42mins despite missing 6 games!
                        Fuck this! and shuts down the computer. hahahahahaha

What i was amazed at was despite missing 6 games, he was still doing the same things defensively before he got injured. The help D block on Gortat was wicked, and the way he went after Nash, Warrick proving help D was a relief to see. I dont mind the 6 rebs, considering JJ and Kleiza got 10 each, Gray 5 and even Jose had 4. Its better everybody rebounding and Bargnani having less rebs, than him having more rebs and nobody else rebounding.

Comment

Bargs has developed an amazing defensive move that every professional basketball player should have..

edit: before the haters go all whiney little girlish... im not really a big bargs fan... so before you start up, shut up.
                          FANBOY! hahahahahaha

Comment

• Reading the raptorblog and guess who i see on the comments section....

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...oesnt-have-to/

I guess Tim just makes friends wherever he posts! hahaha

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                              Reading the raptorblog and guess who i see on the comments section....

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...oesnt-have-to/

I guess Tim just makes friends wherever he posts! hahaha
                              Dear Multipaul,

If you're reading this. SIC HIM, BOY!

Sincerely,
                              Senor H. FiftySeven

Comment

Dear Multipaul,

If you're reading this. SIC HIM, BOY!

Sincerely,
                                Senor H. FiftySeven
                                hahahahahahahahaha i wonder where multipaul posts now...

Comment

Working...
                                X