Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amir's Actual Contract Details

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amir's Actual Contract Details

This according to Steve Kyler of Hoopsworld:

...$5.0 million owed in 2010-2011, $5.52 million owed in 2011-2012, $6.050 million owed in 2012-2013, $6.57 million owed in 2013-2014 and $7.10 million owed in 2014-2015 for a total of $30 million to Toronto's Amir Johnson...
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz0vjmzKeSZ

That's $4M less than what was previously reported... but I don't know what his source is for this information.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting info. I am trying to find out the source of these numbers.

If this is what it is than it is totally in line with what I thought it would be except I was expecting only a four year deal for between $20 and $25 million.

The first four years pay him $23 million almost exactly in the middle of my four year range.

Just saying.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If those are the numbers and with team option year 5 of the deal,that's pretty reasonable.

Raptors Republic Rookie Courtside's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The breakdown of Amir's contract is reasonable. Four to six million over 4 years with the 5th year not guaranteed. Andrea has a very good contract too and is probably underpaid slightly. The worst by far is Jose but only in hindsight.

At the time of the signing, he was playing like a top ten point guard and was only expected to get better.
    "Winning isn't every thing, it's the only thing."

Post Thanks / Like

Just got this response from Steve Kyler

We track all league filed contracts and something that's happened this
    year is a lot of inflated values... typically reflecting bonuses... if
    they are not easily achieved they do not count towards his cap number.

Our Numbers:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9165

Sham Sports:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...es/raptors.jsp

ESPN also has his first year at $5 million too.

The most he can get in an annual raise is $525,000
    So $5 million for him in 2010-11 is not a bad deal at all. Seems fair on both sides especially when you look at what guys like Darko, T. Thomas, A. Varegao, R. Evans, "Bird Man" Anderson etc are making.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Courtside wrote: View Post
    The breakdown of Amir's contract is reasonable. Four to six million over 4 years with the 5th year not guaranteed. Andrea has a very good contract too and is probably underpaid slightly. The worst by far is Jose but only in hindsight.

At the time of the signing, he was playing like a top ten point guard and was only expected to get better.
    5th year is 5 million guaranteed (out of 7 million).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Courtside wrote: View Post

Reggie Evans and Marcus Banks have the two worst Raptors contracts for 2010-11. No other player's contract comes as close to being so bad as those two.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

5 million is reasonable for Amir. This is the number that I suggested from the beginning.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Reggie Evans and Marcus Banks have the two worst Raptors contracts for 2010-11. No other player's contract comes as close to being so bad as those two.
    Expring contracts are actually, really valuable. A bad contract is usually overpaid AND hard to move in a trade (ie long-term). In that regard, Jose's is probably the worst - although I don't think the Raps have ANY bad contract on the team right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    5 million is reasonable for Amir. This is the number that I suggested from the beginning.
    So it sounds like only $28 million is guaranteed for five years. As long as he continues to stay healthy that should be a more than reasonable amount even if he doesn't become a 30 + mpg starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Expring contracts are actually, really valuable. A bad contract is usually overpaid AND hard to move in a trade (ie long-term). In that regard, Jose's is probably the worst - although I don't think the Raps have ANY bad contract on the team right now.
    Expiring contracts have zero positive value to anyone but the player getting the money, unless the team does something with that player via a trade or unless the player contributes something positive on court.

Right now those are the two worst contracts on the Raptors period, straight up. If Jose doesn't get moved and Davis develops really quickly Evans and Banks may not total more than few hundred minutes between them for the season. Terrible contracts today.

Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

well this is better for us I hope amir can live up to his potential. If he can be a 14 and 9 player then i guess his contract is worth it

Post Thanks / Like

well, that's a little more reasonable considering that was the range he was getting offered from other teams.

i think it could have been like 28 million but lets not get in a big uptraught over 2 million less.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt that you will see and retractions or corrections posted on NBA blogs that have blasted his new contract because some source over inflated the amount when the contract was first announced.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Expiring contracts have zero positive value to anyone but the player getting the money, unless the team does something with that player via a trade or unless the player contributes something positive on court.

Right now those are the two worst contracts on the Raptors period, straight up. If Jose doesn't get moved and Davis develops really quickly Evans and Banks may not total more than few hundred minutes between them for the season. Terrible contracts today.
    Zero is a bit harsh. Expiring contracts have significant value to a GM when he is testing the waters and exploring 'what if' trade scenarios with other GMs. He can get a gauge of which teams are more interested in cap relief, and willing to part with other assets to allow them to do that. It basically can be used as one of the GM's planning tools, which does have some value.

Raptors Republic Rookie madeupid25's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember the source, but I recall shortly after Amir signed his contract that "according to sources who had actually seen his contract," the deal was for more like 30 million. Not significantly less than 34 million, but still a more reasonable sounding number. Amir claimed during his press conference that he was being offered 25 - 30 million, and it sounds like the Raptors came in and matched the best offer. Even if Amir doesnt achieve his max potential, I think I am okay with this deal. His hustle play and good attitude are a welcome change in this organization. I have been kind of worried about how Davis will get any minutes with AJ and AB at the 4 spot, but it looks like Il Mago will be at the 5 this year (barring any more deals involving a centre this off season).

Criticism of this deal has definitely been blown out of proportion by the NBA media hype machine. I don't imagine a lot of NBA writers watched many Raptors games last year, and few of them probably saw the energy and dynamic play that Johnson brings to the floor. I have not been a fan of many of BC's moves, but Amir Johnson has definitely been a great surprise.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

We track all league filed contracts and something that's happened this
    year is a lot of inflated values... typically reflecting bonuses... if
    they are not easily achieved they do not count towards his cap number.

Our Numbers:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9165
    Looking at the salary numbers there, the Raptors have a very well balanced roster. Role-players Amir Johnson, Linas Kleiza, and Jarret Jack make around $5M. Andrea Bargnani, our only "sure-fire" starter, makes about $9M. Our 6th man, Barbosa, makes $7M. We have 3 rookie scale contracts (for first round picks), 3 non-guaranteed second round pick contracts, and Solomon Alabi's miniscule contract. Really, aside from Jose's contract and Banks/Reggie's expirings, we're in very good shape imo.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually Banks & Evans contracts aren't that bad as they make around 5 million each plus they are expiring contracts- here today, gone tomorrow.

Now Jose makes around 9 million plus he's signed for 3 more years at 30 million- now that's the worst current TO contract.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems reasonable to me. But, as far as the negative perception of the Raptors and Colangelo projected (including to some of the RR brethren), Amir got an unnecessarily bloated contract in dollars & term....leading to further embellishing the bad-management rap. In fact it was even postulated that BC's bid competition was himself! Now is anyone incl. Hollinger (it could have been another scribe at espn) retract their opinion of the contract terms?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the offseason. Reporters need a way to get readers. Welcome to journalism at its worst

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information