Triano should tell Bargnani to stop shooting 3s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triano should tell Bargnani to stop shooting 3s

They should force him to play like a real big man. I don't mind the mid range jumpshots, but for heavens sake, the last thing this team needs is a centre who can't rebound because he's always coasting around the 3 pt line!

That would be like telling Corey Maggette not to slash to the hoop. You can't tell a guy to remove his bread and butter from his game. The 3 point shot is one of Bargnani's most dangerous weapons. It draws a big man out of the paint and can open holes for the other guys to exploit.
    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Dec 9, 2009, 04:57 PM.

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
      They should force him to play like a real big man. I don't mind the mid range jumpshots, but for heavens sake, the last thing this team needs is a centre who can't rebound because he's always coasting around the 3 pt line!
      Yes, he can mix up his game...but you should be calling out someone like Wright who has no business taking 3 pt-ers and not being very good at it.

Comment

Sure he can play more inside - if Triano calls for those plays. (He should)

But as Apollo says "You can tell a guy to remove his bread and butter from his game."

Bargs is a GOOD 3-point shooter. Why would Triano want him to stop?
        The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Well, it was supposed to be can't(fixed) but yeah.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            Yes, he can mix up his game...but you should be calling out someone like Wright who has no business taking 3 pt-ers and not being very good at it.
            Forget the 3 balls, Wright should never drive the ball. I'd much rather him take the 3 (not forced of course).

Comment

On another note, anyone catch Bargs' post game interview? Armstrong points out his key rebounds down the stretch and asks him about it, and Bargs replies with "Well what can I say? I'm an excellent rebounder", and starts cracking up. For some reason, I couldn't stop laughing. The man without any emotions made me laugh. Good to see Bargs being more comfortable with interviews and whatnot.

Comment

Joe Buddy wrote: View Post
                Forget the 3 balls, Wright should never drive the ball. I'd much rather him take the 3 (not forced of course).
                Wright is such a weak shooter at any range that the Raps are better off if he shoots open 3s. He seems to hit one almost every game. (12 in 18 games)
                The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  That would be like telling Corey Maggette not to slash to the hoop. You can't tell a guy to remove his bread and butter from his game. The 3 point shot is one of Bargnani's most dangerous weapons. It draws a big man out of the paint and can open holes for the other guys to exploit.
                  It's great that he can shoot the three, but this shouldn't be the bread and butter for anyone who plays the 5. Teams need their big men to get under the basket, establish post position, and get on the offensive glass; it's a bonus is they can hit the three, and this is just a function of the position. If your big man is not doing these things, who's going to? Not only should Triano tell him to get his ass of the three point line and set up around the hoop, but the team should get a designated 'big man' coach to work with him , just like Orlando does with Howard.

Comment

Here's an analogy for you. You don't send a plumber to do wiring and you don't send an electrician to do plumbing. It will make you and the worker look foolish.

If the team is worried about offensive boards then either Bargnani or Turkoglu would have to go because to get them doing that would be to take away a strength. In any regard, I don't think offensive rebounding is the problem and as such I think the complaint is valid, just not important. The Raptors currently rank 4th in the league in offense. As such, second chance opportunities are not high on the priority list. On the flip side they rank 29th in defense. That's the area that needs improvement, defense.The whole team needs to do better in that area. Actually, in terms of rebounding, they rank 1st in the league right now in defensive rebounding and 16th in total rebounding. Offensive rebounding is bringing down their total rebounding but again, they're 4th in offense due to the style of offense they play. They sacrifice offensive rebounds for points and I'm fine with that as long as its works and 4th in the league tells me it works. We all know the old adage, "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

Oh, and all stats used can be found at CBSsports.com
                    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Dec 10, 2009, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X