X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amir for MVP

Comment

Three things

1. I know I left out three point shooting. Including that stat almost assuredly Bagnani has more #1s than Johnson.

At this point probably the only change that we may see in the starting lineup from the ones used during those five games is Kleiza for Turk. I figure that those two are about a wash on offense with Kleiza maybe scoring a bit more but having fewer dimes per game than Turk. Though Weems could in fact wind up starting which could change the scoring balance a bit.

2. There is no reason to think that the same kind of numbers won't be there in 10-11 for Johnson and Bargnani if Johnson starts and stays on the court. In fact if Johnson really is able to develop a decent face up jump shot over the summer, which he promised then in fact his scoring per game could go up in 10-11 over what it was during those five games. However, no way he shoots that FT% for an entire year or maybe even close to it. I think 75% is doable for him for the season. Also no way he shoots that high from the field for the season even if he doesn't develop a jump shot. The point being I don't think 18 ppg is unreasonable for him if he can stay on the court for 33 plus minutes a game. That of course is the very big don't hold your breadth if.

3. When all is said and done the most important indicators for me are two. Yes it all boils down to two indicators.

A. Can a player play at least the number of minutes for the season that the coach expected of him at the beginning of the season.

B. Does the team he plays for outscore their opponents when he is on the court? Forget garbage time. I am talking about when it matters.

Yes, other players can be the reason that that player is getting the game in and game out plus on the plus/minus but then again the sport is a team sport with only five people on the court for your team at one time. So if one player isn't holding up their end of the ship then it will show up in a team's overall play and maybe even in reduced minutes for him below what was expected of him.

So bottom line is: Can a player can play the minutes over the full season that are expected of him for the season and does his team out score their opponents when he is on the court?

If the answer to both of these is yes then the player is doing his job. Greatly simplified analysis but I think it is true a lot more often than not. Of course he may not be doing as good a job as in previous seasons even if he accomplishing both of the above. This may mean that he is not accomplishing what the team expects or needs out of him but that complicates the simple equation a bit
      Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Aug 7, 2010, 01:09 PM.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
        Greatness? Amir's contract maxes out at about $7M... that's about what Charlie Villanueva makes. I hardly think we should expect greatness. My expectations for Amir is for him to come in, rebound, play defense, and not be an offensive liability. And for his salary, that's all he should be doing.
        Durant is making less then that for crying out loud! No your right lol, i made lots of errors in my posts and that was one of them.

Comment

Working...
        X