Barbosa + ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbosa + ???

Okay, since Barbosa hasn't shown an ability to create for others, and since he's only capable of defending point guards because of his size, which shooting guard fits best with him?

Do you think that Marco Belinelli will be able to get playing time because of his superior passing, or are Demar and Sonny able to take on a play-making role?

Personally, I think that Marco Belinelli is the best compliment to Barbosa on offense if he can become more conservative with his shot selection, and I believe that he can defend wings so that Barbosa only has to guard the point.

If we keep Jose, there won't be a need for him to play the point.

Sad to say this in hindsight, but Turk would have been perfect in this situation. He could have had "ball" all he wanted without having to share facilitaing duties with Barbosa playing at the 1.

Comment

Tmar: We got Barbosa for Hedouche, so your point is mute. Barbosa will be re-energized as a Raptor and will be playing at a level that will be even better than when he won the Best 6th man award a few years ago. As for the pairing, BC isn't done so no need to imagine Belli with him even though that could be alright.

Comment

Imanari wrote: View Post

Do you think that Marco Belinelli will be able to get playing time because of his superior passing, or are Demar and Sonny able to take on a play-making role?
        If Marco accept the play making role, stay away from those unbalanced 3 pointers , then I fully agree with you. They match each other very well.

Comment

RaptorRoo wrote: View Post
          Tmar: We got Barbosa for Hedouche, so your point is mute.
          Moot, it's: "your point is moot."

Comment

http://basketballvalue.com/teamunits...-2009&team=PHX

In Barbosa's last relevant season with the Suns, 2008-09, he almost always played with Steve Nash. In a seldom-used lineup he played with Grant Hill (good ball-handler) and even in a more rare lineup, he had Dragic by his side. So he's never been in a situation where he's been asked to create and play a pure point. As the OP said, Belinelli makes the most sense but you have to wonder how much Belinelli will even play, especially if he repeats last year's performance.

Interesting question.

Comment

Great question, the sort you hope a GM asks. My guess is Marco OR Jack. I remember Jack playing some backup 2 minutes in the league. Unless they really believe in Belli, or Jose starts, they may want to add a play making SG to the wish-list beside that dream for a starting Center.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                If Marco accept the play making role, stay away from those unbalanced 3 pointers , then I fully agree with you. They match each other very well.
                I think Marco has a few bad habits that he simply can't live without: unbalanced 3s, useless no look passes, gambling with his hands on D...he has NOT improved (concerning these habits) since his days in Italy, I don't think he will now after all these years of pro bball.

To get more on topic: Marco+Barbosa is interesting and could get some minutes as an energy duo from the bench, but as I keep saying I don't see how Marco can play the point for more than a few minutes and only in particular situations. Having barbosa defending the pg is probably a good thing for Beli, but won't solve everything. Beli has only one gear as pg, and can execute decently only a few simple plays with the bigs. Just because he's a flashy passer doesn't mean he's an efficient and competent pg...at least he is not in my eyes.

Comment

Weems and Barbosa would be a perfect pg and sg combo. Weems seems to have improved his ballhandling enough to play a small amount of pg. Think about the run and gun of barbosa, weems and derozan at the three. Defensively Weems can guard 1,2 or 3. We could have the fastest team in the league if you add in Amir with Bargni. Perfect fastbreaks have a guy like Bargni as the trailer for the top of the key three and AMir would be one of the fastest post players block to block. Add in AMirs ability to finish the fast break and we could have a really fun team.

Comment

Frankthetank wrote: View Post
                    Weems and Barbosa would be a perfect pg and sg combo. Weems seems to have improved his ballhandling enough to play a small amount of pg. Think about the run and gun of barbosa, weems and derozan at the three. Defensively Weems can guard 1,2 or 3. We could have the fastest team in the league if you add in Amir with Bargni. Perfect fastbreaks have a guy like Bargni as the trailer for the top of the key three and AMir would be one of the fastest post players block to block. Add in AMirs ability to finish the fast break and we could have a really fun team.
                    Barbosa
                    Weems
                    Jack
                    Davis
                    Anderson

A very good second unit
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

When did we start calling Weems a PG? Did everyone miss his turnovers in summer league when he was trying to create? Or are we just going to neglect that and pair him with Barbosa? Sorry, I think that's ridiculous. Barbosa must be paired with either a real PG or a point forward. Weems is neither.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                        When did we start calling Weems a PG? Did everyone miss his turnovers in summer league when he was trying to create? Or are we just going to neglect that and pair him with Barbosa? Sorry, I think that's ridiculous. Barbosa must be paired with either a real PG or a point forward. Weems is neither.
                        Jack and Barbosa in the back court. Weems at SF. You betcha'
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Weems isn't the best PG but he's improved is ballhandling and deserves to take advantage of his lightning quickness in the full court. Weems had the fastest 3/4 sprint in the nba draft over the last 10 years. You also forget to mention that weems played alot of point guard in summer league and they did win every game.

Comment

Weems as pg? Oh my. I can see Rondo, Williams, CP, Kidd and all the second tier quick pgs out there with saucered eyes. The first attempted crossover or even off-hand dribble and away to the basket at the other end. I think expecting too much from Sonny after what was a surprising year from him. Him just duplicating it (as a solid backup) will be fine. If he improves at his shooting and defense...great. The team can then evaluate whether he is starter material later in the year or next. Consider last year like a rookie year for him on the court.

Comment

where does the "Weem's improved his ball handling come from"... a few summer league highlights?
                              Weems is an absolutely horrible passer. He is one of those guys you use on the break or at the end of a set play to score. Do not count on him in any sort of point guard role... and I would not even trust him to pentrate and pass when a double comes. Passing is by far Weems' biggest weakness... followed closely by handling the ball under pressure.

Comment

Working...
                              X