Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can Linas Kleiza Be Our New "Jorge Garbojosa"?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can Linas Kleiza Be Our New "Jorge Garbojosa"?

It seems a lot of people felt that Jorge Garbojosa brought several intangibles to the Raptors that helped them win games. I'm not here to over-state Jorge's accomplishments, but the main difference between our 47 win season and the next one was Garbo.

Kleiza comes in at a similar build to Garbo. He also has a similar contract. And looking at stats, he's a little better offensively than defensively. What it comes down to, though, is that Kleiza could be playing a similar role to Garbo this season. Like Garbo, we won't be relying on Kleiza's offense, asking him only to hit the open shot to keep the defense honest. And like Garbo, Kleiza is advertised to bring some grit with his play.

Do you think Kleiza can bring the intangibles that Garbojosa brought? I'm not saying we'll win 47 games, but I think it's something we've been missing for quite a while.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

No, they are not even close in their style. Jorge was known for his rebounding, his defense and Kleiza based on the news that comes from Denver is NOT.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Garbo was not known for his rebounding. He was known for his defense. In fact, Kleiza is a better rebounder.

However, I was very clear in my question to ask if Kleiza can bring the INTANGIBLES that Jorge brought. The discussion is not as cut and dry as looking at some per36 minute stats and saying no.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he could. But Kleiza is alot better. He can shoot better and rebound better. And Kleiza is quicker and more versatile, so if we have to put it in "tit for tat" kinda manner, then I guess we're onto a 47 win season HAHA. Kleiza is good though. He played well in Greece last year. Nearly 20 ppg. And in europe, that is alot. I watch European basketball, it did him good. European basketball is more about teamwork and "next play" mentality. There aren't star players, and most players play about 20-25 minutes maximum. So, I think he will serve us well. Definitely a great addition.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Even if Kleiza brought those intangibles, what difference does it make?

If this is a 20-25 win team, then Kleiza can provide intangibles that causes the team to win.. 27 games? What's the point?
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Having glue guys that bring intangibles is an incredible asset to have. It may not help us this season, but it would definitely help us long term.

Post Thanks / Like

@ebrian 20-25 WINS?! WE ARE NOT THE CAVS OR THE TIMBERWOLVES. WE MIGHT NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS BUT 25 WINS? C'MON!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Even if Kleiza brought those intangibles, what difference does it make?

If this is a 20-25 win team, then Kleiza can provide intangibles that causes the team to win.. 27 games? What's the point?
    the difference being kleiza is signed to a 4 year contract not a one.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Rookie pillowmint's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

20-25 wins isn't that crazy. Remember we've lost roughly 26pts and 14/15 rebs a game with the subtraction of Hedo and Bosh. Replacing that scoring and rebounding with the young gunz and Kleiza/Barbosa isn't equal value. We might have better chemistry, and that could translate to wins, and there is a chance we could be a good team, however that's a whole lot of maybe's especially given that we have no 'superstar' or even an 'all-star' on our team. I haven't heard of too many teams pulling our winning season's without any of those qualities. So when you evaluate the situation is it really so crazy to 20-25 wins, I don't think so.

Lastly, I'm hoping we come out as one of the great surprises of this upcoming season, but I'm also tired of being a Raps homer so I've chosen to be a tad more realistic with my expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

We have to stop counting stats, we didn't lose 25 points and 15 rebounds. We lost a great player. But now, we can improve on our new core. And the players can prove themselves, get the ball more and grow in confidence. Players will step up this year, and I think that as we have depth aswell, we can win nearly 40 games. I don't feel like we have a team like the Cavs. We have more talent AND youth. So even without Bosh, I think we can still beat half of the teams in the NBA.

Post Thanks / Like

no we lost a good player not a great.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

24 points and 11 rebounds is better than good.

Post Thanks / Like

ESPN has us at 27 wins and they have historically underestimated our teams by a min. of 5 games. Also, we've only lost one significant player...I digress.

Sure why can't Kleiza be our new Garbo? He appears to have the toughness, agility, etc., It will really depend what his BBall IQ is.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote pillowmint wrote: View Post
    20-25 wins isn't that crazy. Remember we've lost roughly 26pts and 14/15 rebs a game with the subtraction of Hedo and Bosh.
    LOL. i love that if you subtract bosh, there's only 2 pts and 3 rebs left to credit to hedo. thats awesome

Post Thanks / Like

@heinz57 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Sure why can't Kleiza be our new Garbo? He appears to have the toughness, agility, etc., It will really depend what his BBall IQ is.
    his bball I/Q is higher than any other one on our team. players from Lithuania are born with it; its in their blood.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love it if Kleiza could be our next Garbo. I think BC underestimated Garbo's worth to that 47-win team. He replaced him with....Jason Kapono and Jamario Moon. That's like splitting Jorge into both his offensive and defensive selves, minus the grit and toughness.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't just assume that without Chris Bosh in the picture (and the playbook), other players on the team will have increased stats. It's not a simple case of more ball time equating to more points and rebounds. Basketball doesn't work that way unless your team is full of stars such that if you remove a couple, the rest will fill it up.

Chris Bosh may not have been a great leader or someone who could be relied upon for big shots, but he was a very good player, arguably the best this franchise has ever seen. When you take that away, it leaves a huge whole to be filled. People who think Amir Johnson will make aptly make up for Bosh leaving are delusional. For example, Bosh got double teamed, triple teamed. No one currently on this team will get any of that kind of attention. This means other players on the team are going to see defenders they never saw before. With that added attention towards defending Bosh also came the addition of fatigue and defenders getting into foul trouble, of the person(s) guarding Bosh. That fatigue and foul trouble won't exist this year. Bosh got calls and got a ton of free points from the line. He averaged 8 FTA's per game. That's potentially an 8 point swing per game. No one else on this team has that ability. If you sit down and think about what Bosh brought to this team from a game to game standpoint and ignore your personal emotional feelings towards him, you'll quickly realize what huge void he leaves. These are just a few of many different looks these young Raptors will experience this year.

As for Kleiza, whoever said he'll help in a few years, you got me. I hadn't considered that. It's hard for me to look that far ahead. Unless something drastically changes, I honestly don't see this team finishing near or around .500 for another 2-3 years.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Rookie RecklessIndifference's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jlongs wrote: View Post
    I would love it if Kleiza could be our next Garbo. I think BC underestimated Garbo's worth to that 47-win team. He replaced him with....Jason Kapono and Jamario Moon. That's like splitting Jorge into both his offensive and defensive selves, minus the grit and toughness.
    BC didn't have much choice with Garbo's injuries and lay-off

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Garbo was not known for his rebounding. He was known for his defense. In fact, Kleiza is a better rebounder.

However, I was very clear in my question to ask if Kleiza can bring the INTANGIBLES that Jorge brought. The discussion is not as cut and dry as looking at some per36 minute stats and saying no.
    This is problem with Raptor and Raptor Fans.

You bring in players without looking at their past, their style of play and what they are all about. Then you ask them do things that they are not know to do or may not comfortable to do and then act all surprised and unhappy when they fail.

Listen to interview down by Arse in this site about Keliza. He is not the guy to do those things. He is not a great defender and I don't know what makes you think he is better rebounder than Jorge. He is going to stand by 3 point line, Shoot the 3 pointers and ... just that.

Thread Information