Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors vs Nets In London England - Global To A Detriment (Noam Schiller)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors vs Nets In London England - Global To A Detriment (Noam Schiller)

I agree with this but I would add that the trip especially this late in the season in my opinion greatly increases the risk of "fatigue injury" to the main rotation players.

A fatigue injury for those that haven't heard of the term is just what its says it is. It is an injury that occurs to an athlete because they are competing while their body is fatigued. Fatigue lowers the ability of your body to withstand injury. One example is that an athlete is used to being able to do certain things. When they get fatigued they are less likely to be able to do those things. However, their mind has become conditioned to believe that they can so the athlete over exerts himself/herself trying to get to the threshold that they are used to achieving. As a result of that over exertion, i.e.; pushing a tired body beyond what it conditioned to, the athlete is a lot more likely to incur an injury that they would not if they were not physically fatigued.

Global to a Detriment

by Noam Schiller on August 9, 2010 at 6:19 pm ·

First and foremost, this doubleheader is a major competitive disadvantage to the Nets and Raptors. In a 30 team league, you are hereby sentencing 2 of them to play one game less at home, one more on the road – quite a road at that – and to do it in conditions they aren’t used to. How this passes by any ethically sound committee, I don’t know. As for the games themselves – I don’t know if you’ve experienced a transatlantic flight before, but believe me, the last thing going through your mind when you’re walking off that plane is basketball. Unlike the preseason, when games are about getting into shape, regular season games and how you preform in them actually matter to the grand scheme of things. What happens if the Nets or Raptors are jockeying for playoff position (hey, everybody’s optimistic in August) and they get knocked off course by playing two games on wobbly legs in a different time zone? Add that to the flight back home, the presumably condensed schedule that will be thrust upon them at other points in the season (so as to enable long breaks before and after intercontinental travel), and this hardly seems fair.

Both teams will suffer financial drawbacks as well. Every NBA home game is a complete package of ticket revenue, food sales, merchandising and what not. Well, 1 out of 41 of that is gone. While I am sure that these teams will be compensated with a share of the profits from London, I find it naïve to think that the NBA won’t take the lion’s share itself. Especially when the teams involved are relatively gray squads who don’t fill your everyday fan with the insatiable drive to watch them play.

And speaking of the fans … what about them? Why do Nets and Raptors season ticket holders deserve one home game less than their counterparts? Maybe to some people missing one game of Andrea Bargnani or Brook Lopez isn’t as bad as missing Kobe or Lebron, but from where does one draw the nerve to say that to fully paying fans, to devalue their passion for their teams to their faces?
    comp article on link

http://www.bothteamsplayedhard.net/2...o-a-detriment/
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

yeah but I don't think london is that much farther away than LA plus it's a good way to grow the league internationally. Maybe make a few more raps fans in the long run. They usually try to do these things in the preseason but i guess they want to up the ante. The article does make a few points but in the grand scheme of things i don't think it makes that much difference.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

The only problem I really have with this is that if you're trying to spread NBA and popularize basketball in other countries, why would you send two of the projected worst teams next season to represent the league?

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
        yeah but I don't think london is that much farther away than LA plus it's a good way to grow the league internationally. Maybe make a few more raps fans in the long run. They usually try to do these things in the preseason but i guess they want to up the ante. The article does make a few points but in the grand scheme of things i don't think it makes that much difference.
        I checked it when the games were first announced. Round trip from Toronto is about 4,500 miles to Los Angeles and about 7,500 miles to London. So that is an a amount of greater than an additional 1.5 West coast trips on top of what they will otherwise normally make.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
        X