Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raptors Player Power Rankings

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote philwill wrote: View Post
    Oh yeah, I also would not be surprised to see Davis and/or Amir play Combo PF/C to share minutes, with a limited role for Alabi until he gets his feet under him. I mean, David Andersen, really?
    yeah i dont like andersen, i would like to see for a few minutes a game them sharing the floor, could be interesting.

Raptors Republic Rookie DTBrapsfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest i think the only thing amir has over ed davis is experience from what i see and hear ed davis has a little more offence but i guess we will have to see this october.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

It makes sense to pay a big Amir money off the bench if he is expected to be the first big off the bench for either your 4 or 5. That said there's no reason for him to not start unless you see Davis as a potential star.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Andrea Bargnani
    2. DeMar DeRozan
    3. Linus Kleiza
    4. Jarret Jack
    5. Amir Johnson
    6. Jose Calderon
    7. Sonny Weems
    8. Ed Davis
    9. Leandro Barbosa
    10. David Andersen
    11. Solomon Alabi
    12. Marco Belinelli
    13. Joey Dorsey
    14. Reggie Evans
    15. Marcus Banks
    16. Dwayne Jones

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bargnani
    Barbosa (how are all of you rating him so low?)
    DeMar
    Calderon (you guys shit on his talents way to much)
    Jack
    Weems
    Amir
    Linas
    Ed Davis
    Belinelli
    Evans
    Andersen
    Banks
    Alabi
    Dorsey
    Jones

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I get the fact that no one likes David Anderson or the signing.

But once you watch him play offensively on the low post you will conclude he has the best post game of all the Raptors (great foot work and even better with the head fakes)

Not the defensive stud we need but watch his post up game and it will be a pleasant surprise to most of you....

As for the rankings:

1. Andrea
    2. DD
    3. Jack
    4. Amir
    5. Barbosa
    6. Klieza
    7. Weems
    8. Jose
    9. Davis
    10. Anderson
    11. Belli
    rest of Alabi/Banks/Dorsey/Evans are all tied for 12th as they are not in the rotation so why bother ranking them until the crack the roation they only play due to injury foul trouble or because they are young to see what they can do...but really we will see more what they can't do....

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote dn66 wrote: View Post
    1. Andrea Bargnani
    2. DeMar DeRozan
    3. Linus Kleiza
    4. Jarret Jack
    5. Amir Johnson
    6. Jose Calderon
    7. Sonny Weems
    8. Ed Davis
    9. Leandro Barbosa
    10. David Andersen
    11. Solomon Alabi
    12. Marco Belinelli
    13. Joey Dorsey
    14. Reggie Evans
    15. Marcus Banks
    16. Dwayne Jones
    Kleiza is too high, swap kleiza for barbosa and i think you have it perfectly in my opinion.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a pretty long article. I only posted the beginning and the end of it here. I think it is a fair analysis.

===========================

Is Amir Johnson Worth the Money?

By: Stephen Brotherston Last Updated: 8/10/10 6:08 PM ET

With the Toronto Raptors All-Star Chris Bosh on his way to Miami, the team's President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo signed his other free agent power forward to a five-year $34 million contract on the first day possible. Now that is a lot of money - $30 million in guarantees, $4 million in bonuses - for a player who has never averaged 10 points or 10 rebounds in a season.

The 23-year-old Amir Johnson had just completed his second NBA contract which made him a very young unrestricted free agent this summer and as was originally reported here when the deal was signed. "Guys are getting rewarded for being free agents this season."..................................

Is the 23-year-old power forward worth more than $30 million over five seasons? The answer has to be maybe, but we could know for sure early this season.

Johnson is unproven as a significant minutes rotation player or starter in the NBA. In short spurts and limited minutes, Johnson has shown that he has the tools to be worth his contract, and he will get his chance to play 30 minutes every game starting opening night, but we have yet to witness what Johnson can do when given his opportunity over an entire season (or even over an entire month).

However, Johnson is in the situation where he is most likely to succeed. Last season, this young gun showed obvious chemistry with the Raptors other recently anointed "young guns", Sonny Weems and DeMar DeRozan. And with the Raptors roster under-going significant changes yet again, having some elements of player chemistry in place before the season starts has to be worth something.

The Johnson contract represents the type of gamble that teams who are unwilling to play luxury tax have to make in order to compete, and by locking up a young player for five seasons at a manageable number, the Raptors are giving themselves a chance at being competitive with a modest payroll in the future.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17051
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Rookie philwill's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, alright, it doesn't really say much.

I do agree with the bit about the luxury tax though, and the same is likely true for those ownership groups who prefer to pay less for the same type of results as those who pay more (than average, for example). Not sure where the Raptors ownership is on that right now, despite the Colangelo claims that they are cool paying the tax.
    It's about money

Raptors Republic Rookie RAPT0RS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite honestly, I think Weems will be one of our top studs.

1. Bargnani
    2. DeRozan
    3. Barbosa
    4. Weems
    5. Jack
    6. Calderon
    7. Davis
    8. Klieza
    9. Bellineli
    10. Evans
    11. Banks
    12. Anderson
    13. Alabi
    14. Dorsey
    15. Jones

Seeing Jack, DeRozan, Weems and Amir start would make me really happy.
    But I would really love to see Ed get in the mix as soon as possible.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stop Crapping on Jose

Toronto loves their tough guys, but seems to crap on them, too. Jose has improved each year and been a team player throughout. He gave up the starters spot to TJ for playoff peace. He then plays the whole season injured because Colangelo has only Ukic as a back up. Then he puts up with "Hedo want Ball" and allows his stats to slide big time. he allowed himself to play the role of a spot up shooter for Hedo. Defensively, he can't stop quick guards from penetrating off the dribble, but there are only a few guys in this league who can. Jack regularly gets beat on penetration. The Team defence behind the PG determines whether they penetrate more so than the pg himself.

He runs a good offence, is enthusiastic, loves the city and team, tolerates for the benefit of the team, and is a very good shooter. Trading him is a mistake. Sure Jack showed some leadership and is a bit more aggressive, but Jose will definitely get them the ball in situations where they can succeed. I would venture to make Jose our best or second best offensive player.

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing tough about Jose Calderon. He did take the high road with TJ Ford but you neglect to mention how he then turned around at the end of the season and said he would not re-sign unless he was named starter. One could argue he gave in to Hedo no more than Hedo gave in to him. They mixed no better than oil and water and it showed. I'm not sure how you can blame his bad season on him making concessions to Hedo. I never even saw that happening and if the guy can't play effective ball without the rock in his hands all the time then no wonder they're trying to trade him. This year, who ever the PGs are, they're going to have to give up the rock to DeRozan and Barbosa at times.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote EaseMyPain wrote: View Post
    Toronto loves their tough guys, but seems to crap on them, too. Jose has improved each year and been a team player throughout. He gave up the starters spot to TJ for playoff peace. He then plays the whole season injured because Colangelo has only Ukic as a back up. Then he puts up with "Hedo want Ball" and allows his stats to slide big time. he allowed himself to play the role of a spot up shooter for Hedo. Defensively, he can't stop quick guards from penetrating off the dribble, but there are only a few guys in this league who can. Jack regularly gets beat on penetration. The Team defence behind the PG determines whether they penetrate more so than the pg himself.

He runs a good offence, is enthusiastic, loves the city and team, tolerates for the benefit of the team, and is a very good shooter. Trading him is a mistake. Sure Jack showed some leadership and is a bit more aggressive, but Jose will definitely get them the ball in situations where they can succeed. I would venture to make Jose our best or second best offensive player.

Bravo!
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Brasky wrote: View Post
    Except play defense, hustle and crash the offensive boards far more than Amare ever has.
    HAHAHAHAH Amir and defence? HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Anyways, my list:

1) Bargnani: Big, fast, versatile. Future of the Raptors. If he can stay fit all year long, and actually play the last quarter he can be a great, yes I said great player. If all goes well, and he gets better on the D and O, he can be our new 20-8-2 guy.
    2) DeRozan: Young, Athletic and can still develop a jumper. He was pretty good from the elbow last year, we have many good elbow shooters this year though :/
    3) Calderon: If he can play properly again, he can be so valuable. Great passer, can shoot when needed, and can find our new set of offensive players. If he DOES NOT play well, which is likely, then he'll be down under at about number 7 or 8.
    4) Kleiza: Great offensive player, he can shoot from everywhere on the court, outside, midrange, inside. He can also rebound. Once again, this is if all goes well. I think the players which step up will fly up this list, so pretty much apart from Bargs, anyone could be number 3-15...
    5) Barbosa: Just like Bargs, he is faster than his defenders. And he can also bring out the defence and confuse them. He can both shoot the three and is great at driving. Great threat. Hoping to see his 08 season off the bench shine again...
    6) Weems: He is just athletic, and can get streaky. He'll be a great bench scorer.
    7) Belinelli: Has the skills, just that he isn't too confident and isn't very good at decision making. Takes sloppy shots, but he will have some games, where he'll be great. Hopefully, those games will count.
    8) Jack: I just dislike him, but he is better than most on the roster. Just putting him here cause no way he's under the rest...
    9) Johnson: Great rebounder, okay post player. Will never be able to play 30 minutes...
    10) Davis: If he gets the minutes, and the touches, can really contribute. Still have to see him play though.
    11-15) Yeah, the rest HAHA

I think these rankings are useless though, because our roster is very balanced and full of talent, but not consistent talent. So whoever steps up, will be great. Whoever won't will underperform...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Agree Jose deserves more respect; think Demar's second season not so hot

BTW - that is LinAs Kleiza - think "lean ass".

1. Andrea Bargnani
    2. Amir Johnson
    3. Jose Calderon
    4. DeMar DeRozan
    5. Linas Kleiza
    6. Sonny Weems
    7. Leandro Barbosa
    8. Jarret Jack
    9. Marco Belinelli
    10. Ed Davis
    11. David Andersen
    12. Solomon Alabi
    13. Joey Dorsey
    14. Reggie Evans
    15. Marcus Banks
    16. Dwayne Jones

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RAPT0RS wrote: View Post
    Quite honestly, I think Weems will be one of our top studs.

1. Bargnani
    2. DeRozan
    3. Barbosa
    4. Weems
    5. Jack
    6. Calderon
    7. Davis
    8. Klieza
    9. Bellineli
    10. Evans
    11. Banks
    12. Anderson
    13. Alabi
    14. Dorsey
    15. Jones

Seeing Jack, DeRozan, Weems and Amir start would make me really happy.
    But I would really love to see Ed get in the mix as soon as possible.

agree (well, except for the fact that you left amir off the list...and for where barbosa is ranked).

still not sure why we're all automatically pencilling kleiza in as the de facto starting 3, when it makes more sense (IMHO) to start weems at the 2 & DD at the 3. what's the point of (re-)building around a core if you don't give them a chance to play together? why is weems always thought of as a 3 (coming off the bench), while DD is considered a 2?

anyway, bargs is the default #1 (a tear...). after that, it gets a bit murky - DD would seem to slide into the 2nd banana role, but if weems is starting at the 2 (like i think he should), i can see him being quite high.

i'd be moving barbosa down significantly, at least until we see him in game action. his perimeter game has gone downhill, and he'll need good complementary players on the floor with him in order to take advantage of really the only thing he does at an above-average level (which is get out on the break). his game is completely 'change-of-pace' oriented, and if he's just going to be stuck in a corner waiting for jose to bring the ball up, it'll be a total waste.

since it's a total rebuild year, i really feel you have to throw the youngsters out there, if for nothing else than to separate the wheat from the chaff. that means lots of bargs, lot's of DD, lot's of sonny & ED. and even lots of amir. basically, anyone who is being asked to step into a new situation is going to get a solid chunk of time/touches. players who have an established NBA identity (jose, jack, kleiza, etc.) should be periphery/supporting players.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Raptors Republic Rookie Fon Riego's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for posting just for that, but I HAVE TO:

+1

I aggre to trade him for his contract if that is useful for the 'retooling' and all that, but any raptor fan should respect him and his game.

If you see the best plays of last season, Jose is making the pass in almost all of them. The 'young gunz' stuff wouldn't exist w/o Jose, BC should be very thankful to have something to sell...thanks to Jose.

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fon Riego wrote: View Post
    If you see the best plays of last season, Jose is making the pass in almost all of them.
    you can't argue with that kind of hard-core statistical analysis.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JoePanini wrote: View Post
    HAHAHAHAH Amir and defence? HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA
    Amir was easily the best defender on the team...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Toronto loves their tough guys, but seems to crap on them, too. Jose has improved each year
    stopped reading after this point ? improved in what ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information