Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Another Reason Why Superstars Won't Play Here

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Another Reason Why Superstars Won't Play Here

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...-boshsbusiness

    just makes me sad to see that all along, people were right, no matter how good a player you are, if youre playing in Toronto, nobody will even know who you are.

    During VC's time, the Raps became a known team, but VC still never got any major endorsers chasing after him. Nike is a given, every popular basketball player usually gets a shoe contract, but i didnt see Carter ringing the bell at the NYSE, being interviewed by late night show talk hosts or being cast in print major print ads. And Bosh hasnt even played a single game in Miami yet. Correct me if im wrong but i dont think VC got the same benefits, even after winning the slam dunk.

    Is this also one of the reasons that deter superstars from playing here? I mean everybody's going to say that superstars should focus on playing the game but at the end of the day, its still all about business and making money.

  2. #2
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Jerome Williams Says Otherwise

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    • The majority of basketball players today have a huge amount of money from contracts and endorsements. Even a lot more than he saw when he was in the league not too long ago.
    • Every major company who endorses via the NBA has it's Canadian base set up in Toronto and so it's a huge opportunity for guys who maybe couldn't land endorsement deals in smaller markets. Most who play in Toronto have a huge endorsement advantage over those in the states because guys in the states are competing against 360+ players where as in Canada you're battling with 15 guys, which isn't a battle because there are far more companies than players. There may be 30 elite sports athletes in Canada to compete with for endorsement deals where as the states has thousands. If you don't know that then you don't understand the professional sports business. Vince Carter had Pepsi, he had Coke. Vince Carter had Nike, he had Rebok.
    Source: Jerome Williams Hits The Nail On The Head", Raptors Republic Forums

    Bosh is getting new endorsement deals because he's on a great team now, not because he's in Miami. You think he gets great pub if he playing in Indiana or Memphis right now?

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    VC came late in the NBA because of a lockout. He didn't have a pre-season ringing of the TSX bell. It was a short season in the NBA.
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.


    "My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie RecklessIndifference's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Source: Jerome Williams Hits The Nail On The Head", Raptors Republic Forums

    Bosh is getting new endorsement deals because he's on a great team now, not because he's in Miami. You think he gets great pub if he playing in Indiana or Memphis right now?
    I tend to agree with you and Jerome on this one.

    If you are a star on Toronto there is a very good chance you could make the all star team on voting alone.

    VC (as far as I remember) was Near #1 in voting every year for a stretch. Bosh got a ton of votes and recognition.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Superstars will play where there's money and winning. I don't care if we have Canada's Wonderland (not that I hate CW), or amazing beer, or a so-so waterfront. These idiot sports journalists will always find ways to bash Canada. Winning will make people stay. Mind you, LeBron was winning in Cleveland but bolted anyway. I think that the American bball player situation is completely overblown. San Antonio, Portland and Oklahoma City are not major cosmopolitans but they retain their stars because they win. Look at Durant, Duncan, etc.

    PS> Let's not forget Ed Davis during the draft press conference in NYC when he was confronted by a sports journalist about keeping his receipts! Fucking receipts!

    PPS> I dunno if baseball is different but the Jays players seem very content here in TO. Most of whom did not want to be traded by the first deadline!

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie RecklessIndifference's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Superstars will play where there's money and winning. I don't care if we have Canada's Wonderland (not that I hate CW), or amazing beer, or a so-so waterfront. These idiot sports journalists will always find ways to bash Canada. Winning will make people stay. Mind you, LeBron was winning in Cleveland but bolted anyway. I think that the American bball player situation is completely overblown. San Antonio, Portland and Oklahoma City are not major cosmopolitans but they retain their stars because they win. Look at Durant, Duncan, etc.

    PS> Let's not forget Ed Davis during the draft press conference in NYC when he was confronted by a sports journalist about keeping his receipts! Fucking receipts!

    PPS> I dunno if baseball is different but the Jays players seem very content here in TO. Most of whom did not want to be traded by the first deadline!
    Good points. Altho Lebron left a winning team for a "championship" team, so I don't really think he's the exception.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We don't want those attention-grabbers anyways.
    i hope their sponsor deals keep them so busy they flunk the season.

    Look at Kevin Durant.
    That's the type of player we can only hope to land and he's not doing Milk ads, is he?

    Toronto's doing just fine and as mentioned, win, and all this talk goes away.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,051
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I dont think Bosh would be ringing any bells if he had signed with Minnesota. He is getting the attention because he was part of what was arguably the single most explosive pro sports transaction in North America...ever.

    Believe it or not, one of the more detestable things that American pro athletes dislike about coming/leaving Canada is the customs/immigration dog&pony show all have to go through...now of course exponentially worse because of 9/11. I think I might be a bit weary of that if I had to go thru that 40 plus times in a 6 month period.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Bosh says sponsors wooing him now that he's with Heat

    This is really bad for Toronto and the image of the Raptors.


    NBA.COM
    http://www.nba.com/2010/news/08/11/b...s=iref:nbahpt2
    EW YORK (AP) -- Chris Bosh is already reaping the benefits of signing with the Miami Heat.



    The All-Star forward worried about a lack of exposure when he played in Toronto. Now that he's leapt into the sports news of the summer by joining LeBron James and Dwyane Wade in the bright lights of South Beach, American companies are taking notice.
    Bosh got his own milk mustache ad Wednesday, a sure cultural mark of celebrity. He says that deal came about only after he picked the Heat, and he's been hearing from other potential sponsors.
    Bosh describes the change as "night and day.''

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,051
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "This is really bad for Toronto and the image of the Raptors. "

    Why? Because Bosh did a Milk ad? and rang the bell at the NYSE? Hope Bosh is very happy with the celebrity he has obviously craved all these years. You must believe all NBA players are built the same. You might want to check out one Kevin Durant or Roy to name a couple.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In the high days of Vinsanity he drew the largest spike in away team attendance. If that's not exposure I'm not sure what is.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...-boshsbusiness

    just makes me sad to see that all along, people were right, no matter how good a player you are, if youre playing in Toronto, nobody will even know who you are.

    During VC's time, the Raps became a known team, but VC still never got any major endorsers chasing after him. Nike is a given, every popular basketball player usually gets a shoe contract, but i didnt see Carter ringing the bell at the NYSE, being interviewed by late night show talk hosts or being cast in print major print ads. And Bosh hasnt even played a single game in Miami yet. Correct me if im wrong but i dont think VC got the same benefits, even after winning the slam dunk.

    Is this also one of the reasons that deter superstars from playing here? I mean everybody's going to say that superstars should focus on playing the game but at the end of the day, its still all about business and making money.
    VC didn't get recognition? He single handedly put Toronto on the map back in his days. Did you remember how much hype there was every year around all-star season with VC getting most votes? Or the anticipation of his first game against MJ? VC equaled Kobe back then. He had endorsements everywhere. Aside from Nike, he had gatorade, sports collectible card company Fleer, Cadbury, Wilson, Nerf, Microsoft. He's appeared on multiples of video games.

    And selling out tickets in arenas all over the states? Could Bosh have done this in Toronto?

    Bosh? Milk ad? Psh..

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Source: Jerome Williams Hits The Nail On The Head", Raptors Republic Forums

    Bosh is getting new endorsement deals because he's on a great team now, not because he's in Miami. You think he gets great pub if he playing in Indiana or Memphis right now?
    Agreed.

    Bosh would NEVER be the leading vote getter in the NBA ASG. This is why he would never land any major endorsements in Toronto. Vince had done it 10 years ago.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie JalenRose5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm pretty sure after Wince Carter Left the raptors He got absolutely no exposure and never got voted in again at the All Star game. Every year Vince was in Toronto, he was voted in as a starter and had the most votes even when he was injured!. He was the face of Nike Shox which started an evolution for Nike (Dr. Funk for those who don't remember!).

    Also! when he was in New Jersey, (aka, New york, a supposedly HUUGE market) I'm pretty sure their arena was emptier than the Rogers Center every game including the Playoffs!


    Fuck what everyone else has to say. We just need to start winning, and I guarantee this will be the best market to play in. Now that we got rid of the cancer named Chris Bosh, we can focus on building a team, instead of catering to Rupauls ego! Last chance for Colangelo, if he can't do anything fire him and his dumbass head coach Jay Triano!

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    "This is really bad for Toronto and the image of the Raptors. "

    Why? Because Bosh did a Milk ad? and rang the bell at the NYSE? Hope Bosh is very happy with the celebrity he has obviously craved all these years. You must believe all NBA players are built the same. You might want to check out one Kevin Durant or Roy to name a couple.

    You either don't get it or pretend to not get it. A Star in the league goes and says that the endorsement that he is getting now versus his time in Toronto is like Day and Night.

    This is not an endorsement for Raptors and just adds to all the talks about NBA and US companies not caring about Raptors and ...

    I am sure you are smarter than your post suggested and actually get the implications and the image it paints in the NBA about the Raptors and ...

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JalenRose5 wrote: View Post
    I'm pretty sure after Wince Carter Left the raptors He got absolutely no exposure and never got voted in again at the All Star game. !
    This is not about what really happens after they leave Toronto and ... This is about the image of Toronto. This is about what people talk about and ...

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Guelph,ON
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    its about the team you play on not about the city . look at brandon jennigs he gets so much publicity why? because he made the bucks relevant

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    man, bosh would be on the cover of nba 10 if toronto had of made it to the eastern conference championship.

    the only reason he's on all those things is because he's all excited because he's never had this exposure before and he's cheap, d wade and lebron.

    wait, n/m.

    What the Hell do you think there is to do in Celeveland!!!!!!!!1

    cleveland is a shit hole and lebron got the most exposure in the smallest market.

    nuff said.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the only reason superstars won't play here is

    1) Toronto has drafted poorly and missed out on a lot of great players.

    2) we don't go out nad try to bring in superstar's through trades or sign them as fa's. How many fa stars have we missed out on the past few seasons through free agency?

    3) we had one of the best duo's in the league, but, we traded away half of it and we never replaced that half.

    4)The team has never actually commited to winning.

    fi we had of held onto vince carter or gotten a potential all-star in return in that trade we wouldn't have been in the situation we've been in the last few years.

    we managed to pass on the likes of dwayne wade,danny granger, brandon roy, in the draft.

    on the plus side though it's good we didn't have the 2nd overall pick or we might have drafted darko.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Rookie RaptorRoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Raptor4Ever: I completely agree, Bosh is once again kicking the Raptors and T.O when were down...This hardcore douchebag cannot keep his stinking mouth shut. IF this isnt yet another reason why this doucebag should be booed by every Raptor fan than what will it take? As Colangelo works his ass off to retool this franchise, he has to continually deal with the fallout from the ultimate douchebag. I only wish now that Colangelo puts a bounty on the ultimate douchebag's head when Miami comes to town.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,051
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    You either don't get it or pretend to not get it. A Star in the league goes and says that the endorsement that he is getting now versus his time in Toronto is like Day and Night.

    This is not an endorsement for Raptors and just adds to all the talks about NBA and US companies not caring about Raptors and ...

    I am sure you are smarter than your post suggested and actually get the implications and the image it paints in the NBA about the Raptors and ...
    Oh I think "I get it". You must not follow most other (non sports) news to realize that Bosh saying "the differences in attention were like night & day" occurs in just about every other news event occurring in Canada or even internationally which does/not have a US angle. Its a fact and its not earth shattering as both you and Bosh seem to want to raise it to. When Bosh does a Mercedes or Rolex ad. let me know.

    My point was: Not every good basketball player (and that is all Bosh is) crave the same need for attention or doing media as Bosh. You seem to be promoting the opposite which is not the reality and fundamentally defeatism. Time to pack it up? Or should we join the USA?

    We have a league system, a different country, a not very good team and some players who for their reasons cannot be bothered to play for the Raptors. The only item we have control over as an organization is to have a good team. We are not lacking money and there will always be good to star players who WILL come for the money if nothing else (and I am biased enough to believe we have much else to offer even if Bosh doesnt think so...but he also did I thought ...when he was here!).

    I didnt get what it was you were proposing we should change to allow those like Bosh get his Milk ads while playing in Toronto. Neither did you address why a Durant or a Roy seem to be perfectly content (having just signed large extensions) to be playing in the smoking metropolises of Oklahoma City or Portland.
    Last edited by Bendit; Thu Aug 12th, 2010 at 09:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •