Thread: Bargnani Doesn't Crack ESPN's Top 12 Young Big Men List

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bargnani Doesn't Crack ESPN's Top 12 Young Big Men List

Hmmm ... I'm not too sure about that. Hollinger does give Andrea an honorable mention, but I'm thinking he should be in that mix somewhere at least.

12. Jason Thompson, Sacramento Kings
    11. Marreese Speights, Philadelphia 76ers
    10. Greg Oden, Portland Trail Blazers
    9. Andrew Bogut, Milwaukee Bucks
    8. Kendrick Perkins, Boston Celtics
    7. Joakim Noah, Chicago Bulls
    6. Al Horford, Atlanta Hawks
    5. Marc Gasol, Memphis Grizzlies
    4. Brook Lopez, New Jersey Nets
    3. Al Jefferson, Minnesota Timberwolves
    2. Andrew Bynum, L.A. Lakers
    1. Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic
    Source - Click here

Post Thanks / Like

That right there is total B.S. and I'm out.

Raptors Republic Rookie murtmalik's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd put him at 10th on that list right there... Can't say I'm a big fan of Hollinger. This just makes me dislike him even more.

Post Thanks / Like

No arguments from 1 to 9 but Oden? That's just plain Hollinger hate.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW. Not even 12. What is Hollinger smoking. Bargs has been really good this year, better then so many guys on that list. BIG BS
    Last name ever, first name greatest

Post Thanks / Like

I'd also put Kevin Love ahead of Oden, Speights and Thompson. David Lee too, he's 26 so perhaps a bit old for this list.

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew Bogut
    Born: 1984

Kendrick Perkins

Chris Bosh

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Andrew Bogut

Kendrick Perkins

Chris Bosh
    Yeah, seriously. If Bosh doesn't make this list, I can't really see how those guys, or Jefferson and Howard, for that matter, can make it either. They're established players in the league.

Agreed that Love should be on that list. Also, Gasol and Horford should probably switch places. I'd put Noah after Perkins, and probably after Bogut.

I'd put Bargs in the Perkins/Bogut/Oden range.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...how does Il Mago not make Top 12?! It may have something to do with the fact that Bargs does not play like a traditional C or big man. But still, that's just wrong. The list doesn't even make sense. What is he basing his candidacy on? Age? Years in the league? Established vs. unestablished players? Either way the list doesn't work cuz depending on what he is basing his candidacy on, players should be omitted/included in that list. In terms of all around ability, I would have no problem putting Bargs behind Horford on that list. But that's just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DonCarlos wrote: View Post
    Yeah, seriously. If Bosh doesn't make this list, I can't really see how those guys, or Jefferson and Howard, for that matter, can make it either. They're established players in the league.

Agreed that Love should be on that list. Also, Gasol and Horford should probably switch places. I'd put Noah after Perkins, and probably after Bogut.

I'd put Bargs in the Perkins/Bogut/Oden range.
    I think it is only a list of centers, not forwards. If it was all forwards and centers then that would be pure BS that Bosh didn't make it
    Last name ever, first name greatest

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

why are we so sensitive with these 'rankings?' big fucking deal. sure, you could argue that bargs should be somwhere on that list, but what does it matter? you could make an argument that each of the guys on it deserve to be there.

as for bosh - i'm pretty sure hollinger didn't put him on that list because he's an already-established superstar.

but boy, we truthers sure like to get our collective panties in a bunch if someone says anything bad about our boys...shit, lamarcus aldridge ain't on it either, i wonder if blazer fans are having a conniption fit too.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    why are we so sensitive with these 'rankings?' big fucking deal. sure, you could argue that bargs should be somwhere on that list, but what does it matter? you could make an argument that each of the guys on it deserve to be there.

as for bosh - i'm pretty sure hollinger didn't put him on that list because he's an already-established superstar.

but boy, we truthers sure like to get our collective panties in a bunch if someone says anything bad about our boys...shit, lamarcus aldridge ain't on it either, i wonder if blazer fans are having a conniption fit too.
    Actually, most of us were commenting on the total list, not just that Bargnani wasn't on it.

So Hollinger didn't put Bosh on the list because he's an established superstar? Isn't that justification for removing D-12 then?

Also, I'd like to mention that Carl Landry should be on the list. I don't get what Speights is doing there ahead of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah and it said "young big men". Last time I checked Bosh was 6'10", 250lbs.

Raptors Republic Rookie MattyG-Ray's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a list of centers, that is why Bosh is not there. Besides from Speights and Thompson they are definitely all centers, and the argument can be made that both Speights and Thompson are centers. It becomes more clear if you look at the honorable mentions, Roy Hibbert, Marcin Gortat, Roy Hibert, Specer Hawes. Also, if anyone else read the article, it clearly states it is a list of centers.

Post Thanks / Like

If its centers then it should say centers.

Raptors Republic Rookie MattyG-Ray's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    If its centers then it should say centers.
    It does, you just have to actually read the article. It would of been nice if the original poster had clarified the center requirement because it is an ESPN Inside article meaning not everyone can read it.

Post Thanks / Like

This is how the intro to the ESPN Insider article read:

A profusion of young centers has stepped forward across the league with All-Star-caliber first months of the season. The result is the most promising batch of big men in the league since the mid-'90s.
    So let's rank the best of the bunch, which features a dozen young pivot men who stand out above the crowd. "Young," in this case, means players age 25 or younger. (Sorry, David Lee and Nene, you just missed. And apologies to Zaza Pachulia, but nobody believes you're really 25.)

These are the players who will be fighting for All-Star berths and other such hardware over the next 5-10 seasons. And from what we've seen this season, it should be a heck of a fight for the top spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, it wasn't clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Call me optimistic but I think that Bargs right now is better and more consistent than Gasol who if you follow him in every game is very very inconsistent. Then, you have to consider that Lopez is playing in one of the worst team in league history, and he's palying a ton of minutes. I think that with the way Bargs is playing right now, he should be 5th in that list, behind Horford (who should be 4th) and ahead Noah and Gasol. A 26 year old player like Bogut and Perkins shouldn't be considered a young player, but both could be ahead of AB in the list too

Thread Information