Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Should Start Opening Night: Davis Or Johnson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amir. But by the next season who knows?

Comment

i want to see how davis does. if he surprises and does well in pre season then we should start him . Most likely it will be johnson starting for a good 2-3 years until davis can develop into something worth while
      ya dun noe

Comment

AJ

There is something to be said about rooks earning their stripes. Unless it is a no brainer absolute and overwhelming difference in play/talent at this stage, Davis should come of the bench and watching. The team shouldnt be putting pressure on him off the bat. DD did not have too much competition for his position and they hid him enough at that position for him to start.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          AJ

There is something to be said about rooks earning their stripes. Unless it is a no brainer absolute and overwhelming difference in play/talent at this stage, Davis should come of the bench and watching. The team shouldnt be putting pressure on him off the bat. DD did not have too much competition for his position and they hid him enough at that position for him to start.
          Johnson should be given the first shot at it. The only thing and it is a big thing that can keep him from holding it is his foul problem. I think the pre-season should tell us something in that vein. Johnson by the way is a very big rhythm player and plays a lot better when he gets consistent minutes, the more the better. I think largely due to that he has a history of being a very slow starter with respect to playing well in the pre-season and early season. It will be interesting to see what he does with this golden opportunity.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

BC Boy wrote: View Post
            I should say that I think neither should start, as I want to see Bargs at the PF and a new C come in before the season begins. Johnson should start if those 2 are my options.
            Chandler / Bargs would have made this team better than what we had last year. Too bad. Anyway if we can get a defensive big center I agree, otherwise Johnson should start and they should likely play about the same amount of minutes overall depending on the situation and match-ups, and how Davis plays in real games.

Comment

I believe it's Amir's to lose. Unless of course Triano does what he did to DD last season, then it's perfectly reasonable to start Ed in order to develop him against NBA starters. Davis isn't as "raw" as you think. All he needs is more bulk, experience, and a more polished offensive game. But hey, isn't that exactly what Amir needs too?

Anyway if it was about talent and effort, I chose "depends on pre-season/training camp." But ultimately I'm fine with whomever.

Comment

davis was extremely impressive in summer league

SUMMER LEAGUE

johnson for sure.

Comment

Who starts depends on who is in the starting line-up.
                  Johnson 30 minutes, Davis 18 minutes - does it matter who starts?
                  If its Barbosa, Kleiza, Bargnani starting - I want Johnson to come in with DeRozan & Weems - Keep the Chemistry.
                  The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
                    Who starts depends on who is in the starting line-up.
                    Johnson 30 minutes, Davis 18 minutes - does it matter who starts?
                    If its Barbosa, Kleiza, Bargnani starting - I want Johnson to come in with DeRozan & Weems - Keep the Chemistry.
                    So you want to keep the chemistry of the Raptors falling behind at the start of the game and getting outscored early in the third quarter?

Hey if its in the name of "keeping the chemistry" why not.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Neither. BC will find a center yet. Keep the faith. Johnson will perform admirably as first big off the bench for years on this team. I hate to limit his potential but that is what I see from him. In no way is this a slight of Amir or his abilities, in fact, it would be the ultimate compliment as I don't think there is many subs off the bench who could handle Amir. Gortat is the only one coming to my mind off the top of my head.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Neither. BC will find a center yet. Keep the faith. Johnson will perform admirably as first big off the bench for years on this team. I hate to limit his potential but that is what I see from him. In no way is this a slight of Amir or his abilities, in fact, it would be the ultimate compliment as I don't think there is many subs off the bench who could handle Amir. Gortat is the only one coming to my mind off the top of my head.
                        I think Triano will give him a chance to start in pre-season and then we go from there.

If Triano does, I will approve that move.

However, if Johnson can't stay on the court for the minutes that Triano would be looking for send him to the bench.

However, I agree he will be a career energy bench guy if he can't solve his foul problem

Comment

Apollo got me thinking

He has always said that Johnson's 5 starts are not representative of what he would do if he started full time because most of the most games were against lottery teams.

I never felt that I had a really good rebuttal to that argument.

However, this morning I got to thinking more about this.

Johnson started 3 games against -.500 teams and the Raptors were 3 - 0
                          He started 2 games against +.500 teams and the Raptors were 0 - 2.

So what if I took Johnson's average per game stats from his post all-star game appearances against Boston and Los Angeles. How would his numbers look then?

1. Raptors lose that 6th game so with him starting against s somewhat representative schedule the Raptors would have been 3 - 3. Not too bad

2. What about Johnson's stats as a starter if you add in the games against Boston and Los Angeles and adjust his stats up to what they could have been if he started and played 32.7 mpg against them like he did in his actual five starts.

Note: In one of those games he would have fouled out long before getting to 32 minutes. Nonetheless since it was only one game out of seven that was used in the calculation i still took the average from the Boston and Lakers games extrapolated up to 32.7 minutes.

A. Took Johnson's average numbers for each stat category in the two games that he played post all-star break against the Celtics and Lakers extrapolated them to his 32.7 minutes that he actually played as a starter.

B. I then added those extrapolated average numbers in the two games (which equals one more game) to the total numbers for his actual five starts

C. Finally I took those totals and divided by 6 which will give us some idea of what his average numbers per game as a starter would have been in 32.7 mpg in which he did play in his actual five starts

These are the numbers I got for a projected six starts against a somewhat representative schedule

Games----6
                          Wins------3
                          Losses----3
                          +/- Per Game +7.2

Per games numbers
                          -------------------
                          Minutes------32.7
                          FGM-----------7.2
                          FGA----------10.5
                          FG%----------68.3
                          FTM-----------2.2
                          FTA-----------2.7
                          FT%----------81.3
                          Reb-----------5.8
                          PF------------3.7
                          Pts-----------16.5

So overall the numbers are fairly decent except for his rebounding which was horrible and his foul count which was equally if not more horrible.

Still all in all I think he at least deserves a chance to start in pre-season. Then may the better man win.

Comment

Working...
                          X