Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: DeMar Called Toronto A Top 5 City Among Players In The League

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default DeMar Called Toronto A Top 5 City Among Players In The League

    Amongst all the negative criticism over all these years (especially as of late since Bosh's departure), do you think DeMar is accurate in saying this or is this homerism at its best?

    This as per Eric Koreen Tweet:

    In wake of Bosh and Turkoglu comments, DeRozan called Toronto a top-5 city among players in the league.
    Source - Eric Koreen / Twitter

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default not to be pretentious...

    While it's good to hear Demar rep T.O., I personally couldn't give a damn what the majority of NBA players think about the city. Anybody who has visited the U.S. knows there's only 2 or 3 great cities - NY, Miami, San Fran. The rest fall WAY below Toronto in any sense, from culture, to economy, to entertainment, to progress. The fact is, most NBA players like sticking to the friends they met when they were 15, and if that was in Compton or Washington, they're going to rep those cities harder than anything else. T.O can't compete with those emotional attachments, and we shouldn't. Instead, brand ourselves to places as the place you'll love when you grow up a little, want to start a family, and live in a spectacular country!

    (sorry for creating a tangent. needed to get that off my chess)

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote aduffie wrote: View Post
    While it's good to hear Demar rep T.O., I personally couldn't give a damn what the majority of NBA players think about the city. Anybody who has visited the U.S. knows there's only 2 or 3 great cities - NY, Miami, San Fran. The rest fall WAY below Toronto in any sense, from culture, to economy, to entertainment, to progress. The fact is, most NBA players like sticking to the friends they met when they were 15, and if that was in Compton or Washington, they're going to rep those cities harder than anything else. T.O can't compete with those emotional attachments, and we shouldn't. Instead, brand ourselves to places as the place you'll love when you grow up a little, want to start a family, and live in a spectacular country!

    (sorry for creating a tangent. needed to get that off my chess)
    If you love San Francisco then you should really love West Hollywood. It is a nice cleaner than San Francisco and offers the same cultural and social environment as San Francisco

    Personally I wouldn't give 2 cents for any of those cities straight up, but that is just me.

    Its a personal thing. The weather in Miami sucks rotten eggs and the Miami is the home to some of the biggest crawling insects in America. Seriously, I was also killed by one them suckers when it bit me.

    N.Y. you either love it or hate it. I hate it. Too many people in too small a place. Too much concrete and glass and not enough green. In fact the life expectancy in N.Y. is the lowest of any American city.

    Then again its all personal.

    I love Los Angeles and So. CA offers more in complete lifestyle options both indoor and outdoor than any major city/area in the world, period.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie Rap Challenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    If you love San Francisco then you should really love West Hollywood. It is a nice cleaner than San Francisco and offers the same cultural and social environment as San Francisco

    Personally I wouldn't give 2 cents for any of those cities straight up, but that is just me.

    Its a personal thing. The weather in Miami sucks rotten eggs and the Miami is the home to some of the biggest crawling insects in America. Seriously, I was also killed by one them suckers when it bit me.

    N.Y. you either love it or hate it. I hate it. Too many people in too small a place. Too much concrete and glass and not enough green. In fact the life expectancy in N.Y. is the lowest of any American city.

    Then again its all personal.

    I love Los Angeles and So. CA offers more in complete lifestyle options both indoor and outdoor than any major city/area in the world, period.
    +1,000. San Diego / Santa Monica / Venice Beach / Malibu -- I'd argue those are some pretty kick ass places in the US. I live in Vancouver, and I can't say we (Toronto or Vancouver) have much on those cities, sorry.
    "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
    ~Rorschach

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rap Challenger wrote: View Post
    +1,000. San Diego / Santa Monica / Venice Beach / Malibu -- I'd argue those are some pretty kick ass places in the US. I live in Vancouver, and I can't say we (Toronto or Vancouver) have much on those cities, sorry.
    Don't forget places like Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead, Palm Springs etc. There is so much to do in Los Angeles and So. CA.

    To my knowledge So. CA is the only place in North America where you can snow ski on real snow in your car in the morning and go surfing in the afternoon and then party with any kind of crowd you want at night. All in the same day, if you have the energy.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    To my knowledge So. CA is the only place in North America where you can snow ski on real snow in your car in the morning and go surfing in the afternoon and then party with any kind of crowd you want at night. All in the same day, if you have the energy.
    I would really like to see this happen.. are there any youtubes of people skiing inside their cars? I can't even picture it.. must be a crazy huge car, or really small people.
    your pal,
    ebrian

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    If you love San Francisco then you should really love West Hollywood. It is a nice cleaner than San Francisco and offers the same cultural and social environment as San Francisco

    Personally I wouldn't give 2 cents for any of those cities straight up, but that is just me.

    Its a personal thing. The weather in Miami sucks rotten eggs and the Miami is the home to some of the biggest crawling insects in America. Seriously, I was also killed by one them suckers when it bit me.

    N.Y. you either love it or hate it. I hate it. Too many people in too small a place. Too much concrete and glass and not enough green. In fact the life expectancy in N.Y. is the lowest of any American city.

    Then again its all personal.

    I love Los Angeles and So. CA offers more in complete lifestyle options both indoor and outdoor than any major city/area in the world, period.
    So your a living dead? D: No wonder you make so many weird threads and have so much time on your hands.
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sat Aug 14th, 2010 at 08:43 AM.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    So your a living dead? D: No wonder you make so many weird threads and have so much time on your hands.
    You know there is some truth to what you say. While I was recuperating in a hospital I wound up watching the Namith and the Jets take apart my Colts. Between the immense infection, I will spare everyone the gruesome details (chorus: Thank god), and that loss by my Colts I really thought it might be better to go over to the other side. But that was only for a few days until I watched my next basketball game

    Nah just a big basketball fan who is retired

    And

    "I'm Loving it" You betcha'



    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CBoQ9QEwAg
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter OzRapFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    If you love San Francisco then you should really love West Hollywood.
    West Hollywood, a city of Los Angeles County, California, was incorporated on November 29, 1984, with a 2000 residential population estimate of 34,675. This city has a dense population of homosexuals ;O

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OzRapFan wrote: View Post
    West Hollywood, a city of Los Angeles County, California, was incorporated on November 29, 1984, with a 2000 residential population estimate of 34,675. This city has a dense population of homosexuals ;O
    Like I said if you love San Francisco you will love West Hollywood.

    Case closed #pause
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,323
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    If you love San Francisco then you should really love West Hollywood. It is a nice cleaner than San Francisco and offers the same cultural and social environment as San Francisco

    Personally I wouldn't give 2 cents for any of those cities straight up, but that is just me.

    Its a personal thing. The weather in Miami sucks rotten eggs and the Miami is the home to some of the biggest crawling insects in America. Seriously, I was also killed by one them suckers when it bit me.

    N.Y. you either love it or hate it. I hate it. Too many people in too small a place. Too much concrete and glass and not enough green. In fact the life expectancy in N.Y. is the lowest of any American city.

    Then again its all personal.

    I love Los Angeles and So. CA offers more in complete lifestyle options both indoor and outdoor than any major city/area in the world, period.
    Jay Leno,Craig Ferguson, jImmy Kimmel all constantly make fun of west hollywood so I don't think it has a very good reputation.


    as for Demar's comment, it's great, but, at the same time there is a lot of things wrong with it. (in no particular order)

    !) it's only coming from one player

    2) he plays here

    3)Bosh and Turkoglu carry alot more reputation around the league than Demar.

    4) that's usually what second players say because they start to grow into the city and are just glad they get a chance to play.

    5) Toronto good=2 Toronto foreign and weird=3

    this summer we've had t-mac,bosh, and turkoglu all say toronto is weird and stupid and no one wants to play there. we also had Lebron say our team is a joke(in a nice way)

    We need former players to rep toronto and we need all the players here to say they love toronto and this franchise, but not say it as words but rather in their actions, what i'm saying is we need to start freakin winning for Demar's comments to hold significant weight.

    on the plus side you've had rasho(former player) say he loves toronto
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,408
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote aduffie wrote: View Post
    While it's good to hear Demar rep T.O., I personally couldn't give a damn what the majority of NBA players think about the city. Anybody who has visited the U.S. knows there's only 2 or 3 great cities - NY, Miami, San Fran. The rest fall WAY below Toronto in any sense, from culture, to economy, to entertainment, to progress. The fact is, most NBA players like sticking to the friends they met when they were 15, and if that was in Compton or Washington, they're going to rep those cities harder than anything else. T.O can't compete with those emotional attachments, and we shouldn't. Instead, brand ourselves to places as the place you'll love when you grow up a little, want to start a family, and live in a spectacular country!

    (sorry for creating a tangent. needed to get that off my chess)
    You lose all credibility when you say that two out of the three best american cities are san fran and miami??!?!!?!?

    miami and san fran below toronto, the big 4 are nyc, chi town, bean town, and maybe la

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    You lose all credibility when you say that two out of the three best american cities are san fran and miami??!?!!?!?

    miami and san fran below toronto, the big 4 are nyc, chi town, bean town, and maybe la
    This is why it's all a matter of personal taste, since it depends so much on the criteria you're applying.

    LA just isn't my type of city, so I'll abstain on that one, but as far as I go, neither Chicago nor Boston can hold a candle to the Big Apple, IMHO. I've never been to San Fran or Miami, but I doubt it'd be that far-fetched for some people to place them ahead of Chicago/Boston. Toronto and NYC will always be my interchangeable #1 and #2, with Boston a distant #3, but you'll find a lot of Americans preferring places like Austin (TX), Madison (WI) and Boulder (CO) over any of these.

    To each his/her own; not sure what any of this has to do with losing credibility though.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,408
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    This is why it's all a matter of personal taste, since it depends so much on the criteria you're applying.

    LA just isn't my type of city, so I'll abstain on that one, but as far as I go, neither Chicago nor Boston can hold a candle to the Big Apple, IMHO. I've never been to San Fran or Miami, but I doubt it'd be that far-fetched for some people to place them ahead of Chicago/Boston. Toronto and NYC will always be my interchangeable #1 and #2, with Boston a distant #3, but you'll find a lot of Americans preferring places like Austin (TX), Madison (WI) and Boulder (CO) over any of these.

    To each his/her own; not sure what any of this has to do with losing credibility though.

    Your right there but i have been to both those places...miami is nice but very sketchy

    san fran is a nice place but homeless is a bad problem there/

    I have been to chicago, nyc, boston, and LA those places (maybe not LA) are better in my opinion
    but i must say, for an nba player, chicago, nyc, and boston are the places to be. Especially if you are as wealthy as them.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    Your right there but i have been to both those places...miami is nice but very sketchy

    san fran is a nice place but homeless is a bad problem there/

    I have been to chicago, nyc, boston, and LA those places (maybe not LA) are better in my opinion
    but i must say, for an nba player, chicago, nyc, and boston are the places to be. Especially if you are as wealthy as them.
    I would say all four are pretty close as a preferred playing and living location for NBA players.

    However I think it depends on the player and their life style.

    Chicago and New York are 24x7 cities. Los Angeles except of course for closed private parties tends to close down starting around 11 PM (Restaurants) up until a couple of hours after mid-night (nightclubs). However Los Angeles offers a lot more options during the day time. For example when you have a day off in Los Angeles, like Miami, you can go to the beach on that day off. You can't do that in the winter in N.Y. Chicago or Boston.

    If you are into the entertainment crowd and hanging with them Los Angeles offers the most of that.

    There area also more options in Los Angeles in the summer regarding playing organized high level basketball at some gym against other NBA and top level college players.

    N.y and Chicago are all about the night life and the sports media. Not all players like the pressure of playing in N.Y.

    I am not sure what Boston offers NBA players outside of being able to wear Celtic green. However for some players that is enough.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    its nice to finally get good publicity from a player in this city...god knows we neeed it

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    481
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    demar n weems would destroy lbj n wade in a 2 on 2 half court

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie Rap Challenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
    demar n weems would destroy lbj n wade in a 2 on 2 half court
    Have you been drinking? No, Weems and DeRozan would not beat them in a 2 on 2 half court game. Weems and DeRozan would get absolutely destroyed.

    Multiple times over.

    Even they would tell you that.

    Good grief.
    "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
    ~Rorschach

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rap Challenger wrote: View Post
    Have you been drinking? No, Weems and DeRozan would not beat them in a 2 on 2 half court game. Weems and DeRozan would get absolutely destroyed.

    Multiple times over.

    Even they would tell you that.

    Good grief.
    None of those guys can shoot and make a three points shot with any regularity. Why would you need a half court. I think a quarter court would work just fine for them and the fans wouldn't miss anything
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,408
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
    demar n weems would destroy lbj n wade in a 2 on 2 half court
    what?
    wha
    what?

    im just

    what?

    maybe if it was a golf match where the lower score wins? but then again, if lebron and wade knew they would win still

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •