Thread: Sportsnet's New Channel "One" Only Available To Rogers Subscribers

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sportsnet's New Channel "One" Only Available To Rogers Subscribers

Uh-oh .... looks like we're about to have TSN2 all over again.

Ah well, I'm a Rogers Subscriber so I'm not too worried.

Maybe this should carry a parental warning: Words appearing in this column may be upsetting to passionate Toronto Blue Jays fans who don’t subscribe to Rogers Cable.

Two words in particular might set them to gnashing their teeth and rending their garments. Those words are Raptors and TSN2.

This may be alarmist, but with Rogers Sportsnet One set to launch Saturday the new channel that will carry 25 Blue Jays games this season — including four in the upcoming week — is available only to Rogers subscribers. It’s possible that may change by the end of Friday or within the next week, but there’s no assurance of that.

“At this point, we know that it will be on Rogers,” said Rogers Communications spokesperson Jan Innes. “We are still in discussions with other carriers.”

It’s also possible that Sportsnet could get itself into the same battle with the likes of Bell TV and Cogeco that TSN2 did with Rogers two years ago. It was a fight that resulted in thousands of disgruntled Raptors fans not being able to watch their favourite team.

The fact that Sportsnet One’s first distribution deal is with Rogers, I’m told, has nothing to do with the fact they’re owned by the same company. Negotiations, I’m also told, were tough.
    Source - Toronto Star

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a big mess. What is the cause of this?

In Los Angeles FSPT carries all 81 Clippers games and FSW carries all the Lakers home games and Ch 9 an over the air channel carries all the Lakers road games.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Rookie RecklessIndifference's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wrote Shaw Cable about this in the morning. They sent me this

"Rogers Media recently announced the launch of Sportsnet ONE in addition to the existing Sportsnet (East, Ontario, West and Pacific) channels we currently offer. Shaw is currently reviewing this potential new service. Thank you for your interest and we will inform you if and when the channel is offered"

Raptors Republic Starter tonious35's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dammit!

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Uh-oh .... looks like we're about to have TSN2 all over again.

Ah well, I'm a Rogers Subscriber so I'm not too worried.

Source - Toronto Star
    Yessery...

Are they going to shank the Raptor fans that had Bell ExpressVU last year with TSN2 automatically provided and deny them with Sportsnet One?

Guess that makes it even. So there is no more Raptors on CBC and the Score anymore?

Raptors Republic Rookie Jordan-Drexler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There's always the avenue of watching live streaming of games on the Internet. Both for free and on Nba broadband

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jordan-Drexler wrote: View Post
    There's always the avenue of watching live streaming of games on the Internet. Both for free and on Nba broadband
    That works really good except they blackout the games on NBA/TV which means those of us who live in the States and watch the Raptors will miss the Nets-Raptors series in London, unless I go the free internet route - I'm crushed, simply crushed.

Raptors NBA Broadband Access viewers should demand a major discount for 10-11 because they will miss those games.

Some would say that Raptors fans should demand a major discount at the ACC for going to the Raptors game in 10-11

NBA/TV is kind of the half-way house between NBA Broadband Access; i.e, the who cares broadcasts and the ESPN/ABC and TNT broadcasts; i.e., ESPN loves you broadcasts
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Aug 14th, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Rookie Jordan-Drexler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The two games in London should be on SkySports in London. Skysports plays on a bunch of game streaming websites like channelsurfing . net

Raptors Republic Starter Dark Knight's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This new channel is gonna show a big chunk of the Raptors season, correct? C'mon, Bell! Get on this. I refuse to watch the Raptors on a computer.
    "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

lol people freaking out cause of this?
    i dont have any tv for crying out loud...
    biggest scam in sports...

www.atdhe.net

usually hi qual...and free

sounded like an add...but i dont care

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, I had Rogers 2 years ago when there was no TSN2 to watch the Raps. Now I have Bell and this happens again? They better fix this by the start of the season or I'll write them a letter stating how angry I am over this!
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Post Thanks / Like

i got cogeco they'll fix it up quick because cogeco is the shit.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dark Knight wrote: View Post
    This new channel is gonna show a big chunk of the Raptors season, correct? C'mon, Bell! Get on this. I refuse to watch the Raptors on a computer.
    Yup, this upcoming season they'll be a minimum 23 Raptors games exclusive to this new channel. Rumour right now is that Bell and Sportsnet are nowhere close to an agreement either. Hence why its called "Rogers Sportsnet".

Post Thanks / Like

i don't care about the blue jays baseball is boring i'll just watch the highlights if i want to see it, but, raptors let's go kill teddy rogers, oh wait, he's already dead.damn

they already have ontario,east,west, and central why must you have another one? when you don't even use the existing ones!

the score is stupid for giving up raptors games, they are a sports station and they rep basketball alot but they are getting rid of raptors games why?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    the score is stupid for giving up raptors games, they are a sports station and they rep basketball alot but they are getting rid of raptors games why?
    I don't think it was the Score's fault. I just think Sportsnet/TSN paid more to have the television rights.

Raptors Republic Rookie big red's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    i dont have any tv for crying out loud...
    biggest scam in sports...

www.atdhe.net

This is a classic example of how companies like Rogers make it harder to get a product/service legitimately in their quest for higher profits, and end up pushing more people to the illegal/free option purely because it's more convenient. It's the same reason I get mad when I buy a dvd. Every time I start it and have to sit through the 60+seconds of FBI warnings and preview shit, I keep thinking "if I had downloaded an illegal rip, I'd be watching the movie by now."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    I don't think it was the Score's fault. I just think Sportsnet/TSN paid more to have the television rights.
    i doubt they could have outbid cbc if cbc really wanted to show those sunday ones.oh well, maybe they'll show raptors games on court surfing which they should.

freakin idiot rogers is so damn cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    i dont have any tv for crying out loud...biggest scam in sports...

www.atdhe.net

you poor, poor man.

Post Thanks / Like

Fan miffed Sportsnet channel unavailable

By Kristen Odland, Calgary Herald August 20, 2010

Calgarian Don Glover, a Toronto Blue Jays fan, subscribes to every sports channel on the planet -- except for Sportsnet One.

He's furious his cable provider, Shaw Cable, is not picking up the 24/7 sports channel which launched Aug. 14 -- only on Rogers systems.

"I'm a sports nut," Glover said. "I've done what I can. I've phoned Shaw. If you call in to get service, they say something to the effect that, 'We are considering this potential channel.' It's so offensive. I've e-mailed Sportsnet, I've phoned and e-mailed the Blue Jays, saying, 'Why are you letting the cable companies screw around with your fan base?' "

The Rogers Sportsnet web-site describes the new channel as featuring "more than 800 hours of live sports programming" in digital and high definition, including the Jays, Toronto Raptors and Barclays Premier League soccer.

As of Thursday night, the official flagship television station for Canada's Major League Baseball team had transferred 21 of the remaining Jays games to Sportsnet One. Yet, most Canadians -- and Calgarians like Glover -- don't get the channel.

"It'd be safe to say if our fans aren't happy, that's a concern of ours," said Jays vice-president of communications Jay Stenhouse. "I hope people don't think we don't care about Calgary because yes we do and we have passionate fans across the country."
    cont on link

http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...553/story.html

Post Thanks / Like

fucuk rogers!!

doesn't all the games repeat on that stupid raptors nba tv which is like the crap version of nba tv.which i also don't subscribe to because i think is ridiculous.

too bad my sateellite is down or i could prolly see it on there, i watched a raptors vs. pacers game on an indiana sports station one and the announcers were terrible.

is it just me or are the guys on the candian side who broadcast sound way more enthusiastic then the american ones?

Post Thanks / Like

2010 FIBA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP to Air Exclusively on TSN2
    Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2010 - 11:40 AM
    TSN2

TSN2 and Canada Basketball have reached a comprehensive agreement making TSN2 the exclusive broadcaster for the upcoming 2010 FIBA World Championship. As part of the two-year agreement, TSN2 will also be the exclusive Canadian broadcaster for the 2010 FIBA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FOR WOMEN, 2011 FIBA AMERICAS CHAMPIONSHIP and the 2011 FIBA AMERICAS CHAMPIONSHIP FOR WOMEN.

TSN2’s 2010 FIBA World Championship coverage will feature all Team Canada games along with the playoffs and finals. Coverage begins on Saturday, Aug. 28 with Canada vs. Lebanon at 11:30 a.m. ET live from Turkey
    Cont

Thread Information