Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has Jose Been Left To Twist In The Wind?

Raptors Republic Rookie StaytheCourse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Has Jose Been Left To Twist In The Wind?

Just wondering how everyone feels. Is it just a matter of time until Calderon is moved to parts elsewhere?

I think he deserves better regardless of what people think of him for his porous defending. He has been loyal and his enthusiasm never wanes. He loves the city and he loves the team.

Or is the team prepared to move forward with he and Jack at the point? I hope that would be so because he does have assets and hopefully next season sees a return to form! Especially if he remains here in his adopted hometown.
    Last edited by StaytheCourse; Sat Aug 14th, 2010 at 07:08 PM.
    Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Raptors Republic Starter blaze89's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

the team is obviously looking at options right now to find calderon a new home considering they publicly almost traded him, twice.
    BC's just exploring options right now and still has the tpe right now so it can give us a little leverage in a future trade.
    i just think alot of gm's are obviously a little hesitant of taking on a guarenteed contract like jose's with the CBA expiring and the potential lock-out at the end of this year.
    if you ask me though, it would be a little awkward if jose was still in a rap uniform at the start of the season with him knowing management as has pushed all season to trade him and almost did

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BCsMaBoi wrote: View Post
    Just wondering how everyone feels. Is it just a matter of time until calderon is moved to parts elsewhere?

I think he deserves better regardless of what people think of him for his porous defending. He has been loyal and his enthusiasm never wanes. He loves the city and he loves the team.

Or is the team prepared to move forward with he and Jack at the point? I hope that would be so because he does have assets and hopefully next season sees a return to form! Especially if he remains here in his adopted hometown.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

With the way the team is developing, Calderon is certainly an asset and would fit right in. Personally I'd like to see what he can do without Bosh. His game was mostly a 2 man game with Bosh but in a system that plays defense and lacks offense he could do a lot of damage to other teams. The main problem with Calderon last year was that there was no one to really help him on defense since Demar was always getting beat, Antoine was usually guarding the other team's best player, and Andrea was slow to help. If he is being traded then I would expect more than Diaw or some expiring contracts from Charlotte.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Waiter wrote: View Post
    With the way the team is developing, Calderon is certainly an asset and would fit right in. Personally I'd like to see what he can do without Bosh. His game was mostly a 2 man game with Bosh but in a system that plays defense and lacks offense he could do a lot of damage to other teams. The main problem with Calderon last year was that there was no one to really help him on defense since Demar was always getting beat, Antoine was usually guarding the other team's best player, and Andrea was slow to help. If he is being traded then I would expect more than Diaw or some expiring contracts from Charlotte.
    If he is around I think he will do better without the Pizza Man out there.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Really, just six weeks before the pre season starts there are a couple of teams who are still looking to upgrade at the point Charlotte and maybe Detroit. On the other hand I only see portland and Memphis with a surplus of bigs and neither is in urgent need to take on Jose's contract.

We all know Charlotte is interested but what they are offering is rubbish (assuming it is Diaw), I saw him at the game yesterday and the guy is out of shape cant rebound, jump, hustle. I would say he weighs north of 260. After watching him play vs Canada I realized why this thing with Charlotte is moving slowly, he has little value. Now I dont know if there is a third team interested in him and would give up a centre.

I think a similar trade with Detroit is possible Jose to Detroit, Prince say to Portland for Prysbilla. My first choice would be to land Gortat but I think there are a lot more takers for him with much better offers than us.

Just thinking out loud here, if we were offered Eddy Curry for Jose basically a salary dump and nothing more (since Curry is expiring) do you guys think management would do it? would you?
    Last edited by thomas1; Sat Aug 14th, 2010 at 05:52 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

how loyal can you be when you ask BC to pay you $45 million over 5 years based on one good season ?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

If the team is indeed looking to up the tempo and put a new emphasis on defense, Calderon is the worst possible fit, since he does neither.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't realize Diaw was in such poor shape. That is too bad if true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote vinnie_paz wrote: View Post
    how loyal can you be when you ask BC to pay you $45 million over 5 years based on one good season ?
    Get real my friend! Players don't think that way, surely!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Get real my friend! Players don't think that way, surely!
    wow... are you being sarcastic ? so players dont try to get paid as much as they possibly can ? not blaming them, but do you really think the majority of players are turning down money and saying no i'll take less ?

Post Thanks / Like

umm actually they do.... players have these people call "agents" who try to get the most they possibly can from teams
    So the problem is with the agents then!

Please don't condescend to me!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

wow... are you being sarcastic ? so players dont try to get paid as much as they possibly can ? not blaming them, but do you really think the majority of players are turning down money and saying no i'll take less ?
    so was BC's first offer $45 million over 5 years. or did he offer less, which jose declined and then they negotiated and agreed on $45 million.

which part do i need to "get real" on ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Please don't condescend to me!
    umm wattt ?? forget it... you obviously are a master of the the english language.

Post Thanks / Like

A player has a good season so he tries to get compensated for services rendered.

What do you expect him to do take a pay cut?

A player has a limited shelf-life.

Post Thanks / Like

umm wattt ?? forget it... you obviously are a master of the the english language.
    Right and you obviously have axes to grind!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A player has a good season so he tries to get compensated for services rendered.

What do you expect him to do take a pay cut?

A player has a limited shelf-life.
    but the OP said calderon was loyal. and im questioning this belief based on calderon's salary. i dont think BC's first offer was that much. so in my opinion, and you dont have to agree, I dont think calderon is AS LOYAL as we think, when he most likely refused the initial offer and waited till he got more.

now yes, players make a lot of money, but there's no way that calderon should have been payed so much, based on one good season where he split playing time with TJ and played a lot of mins against the bench of other teams.

so did calderon refuse all other cheaper offers or did BC just offer him this much ?

if calderon refused, then i am questioning how loyal he is... if bc doesnt give in and say ok here's $45 million is jose still a raptor ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Right and you obviously have axes to grind!
    when someone tells you to "get real" and doesnt provide any insight or knowledge, they are just wasting time... was it too difficult to just answer my original question from post # 7...

"how loyal can you be when you ask BC to pay you $45 million over 5 years based on one good season"

how can you respond with "get real" when someone asks a question ?

its ok u dont have to respond... but there are some on this forum who ask questions and get answers and LEARN something.. saying get real doesnt really further any knowledge or ideas does it

Post Thanks / Like

Because to me its obvious, negotiations are a "process".

Loyality has nothing to do with it. I mean I've heard of players taking less to play in a certain situation. But it isn't often the case and it sure wasn't for the Miami triumvirate although they professed it was so.

Riley tried to work sign-and-trades so they could all get max money. I'm sure that was their understanding when they signed.
    Last edited by StaytheCourse; Sat Aug 14th, 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Armstrong was on the fan and even he basically said that Jose's going to get traded. We've already tried twice and failed, just based on how awkward it would be in training camp, I'm saying Jose's out.

I do like Jose as a person, it's a shame we're dealing him out, but Jack is cheaper and I think fits better with what we're trying to do. Jose was good at running two-man games, taking care of the ball by basically dominating the handling, but we're not playing like that anymore, and I think his risk averse nature is also working against him in Toronto.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information