Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DeMar Setting The Bar High

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    That's a ridiculous thing to say, first off T-Mac's prime was spent in Orlando where he was arguably THE best player in the league and was surrounded by a bunch of nobodys because all their money was tied up in T-Mac and an injured Grant Hill and their drafting strategy was to always take the cleanest looking white guy available.

As well, barring Derozan making incredible leaps and bounds (knock on wood he does) he will never be on the same level as T-Mac, probably not even close to him, so having more playoff success means nothing. Zan Tabak had more playoff success than Charles Barkley, so what?
    I can see from that post that you have a strong emotional tie to T-Mac.

Fair enough

We all have our favorites who can do no wrong and we think up all kinds of excuses to defend them and attempt to make them look a lot better than they are/were. I am as guilty as the next guy. Nothing wrong with it
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

he's welcome on team canada any day. we could use him.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

mark my words right now... Demar will be leaps and bounds better than T-mac. You can see the leadership and work ethic this kid has and not to mention in last years draft everyone said that Demar's ceiling is the highest of anyone in the draft INCLUDING Blake Griffin. Anyone that mentions Demar's stats from last year really doesn't understand the situation. Demar didn't have the ball in his hands period. He has been working on his game all summer, extending his range, working on new moves(Kobe esk fade away). Can't wait for this season to start!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Selects87 wrote: View Post
    mark my words right now... Demar will be leaps and bounds better than T-mac. You can see the leadership and work ethic this kid has and not to mention in last years draft everyone said that Demar's ceiling is the highest of anyone in the draft INCLUDING Blake Griffin. Anyone that mentions Demar's stats from last year really doesn't understand the situation. Demar didn't have the ball in his hands period. He has been working on his game all summer, extending his range, working on new moves(Kobe esk fade away). Can't wait for this season to start!
    Oh come on, leaps and bounds better than T-Mac? I love DeMar, and I want to see him become a superstar, but there is nobody currently in the league right now that is "leaps and bounds" better than T-Mac in his prime. 2002-03, he averaged 32.1 points, 6.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists, not to mention that he was a pretty good defender. If he had stayed in Toronto instead of going to Orlando, there is NO way you would be saying that DeMar is gonna be that much better than McGrady.

Post Thanks / Like

+2
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Kreza23 wrote: View Post
    Oh come on, leaps and bounds better than T-Mac? I love DeMar, and I want to see him become a superstar, but there is nobody currently in the league right now that is "leaps and bounds" better than T-Mac in his prime. 2002-03, he averaged 32.1 points, 6.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists, not to mention that he was a pretty good defender. If he had stayed in Toronto instead of going to Orlando, there is NO way you would be saying that DeMar is gonna be that much better than McGrady.
    Demar actually averaged more points per game in his rookie season than McGrady did and shot better in the process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Kreza23 wrote: View Post
    Demar actually averaged more points per game in his rookie season than McGrady did and shot better in the process.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with what Kreza23 referred to: T-Mac's 2002-03 season. If DeRozan is going to be better than T-Mac, then he has to produce a better career. If he's going to be "leaps and bounds" better than T-Mac? Then he sure as hell has to be better than T-Mac's best seasons in Orlando.

I think DeRozan will have a better career than T-Mac, but not because he's the better talent. DD has the work ethic and drive to compete. T-Mac lost that pretty early in his career, which is very unfortunate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with what Kreza23 referred to: T-Mac's 2002-03 season. If DeRozan is going to be better than T-Mac, then he has to produce a better career. If he's going to be "leaps and bounds" better than T-Mac? Then he sure as hell has to be better than T-Mac's best seasons in Orlando.

I think DeRozan will have a better career than T-Mac, but not because he's the better talent. DD has the work ethic and drive to compete. T-Mac lost that pretty early in his career, which is very unfortunate.
    You can't compare two things when one of them has never existed. All we have to go on to compare T-Mac and DeRozan are their rookie seasons and athletic ability when they were rookies.

Though it seems to me that when all is said and done DeMar will have more success in the playoffs than T-Mac will have. As to who will be remembered as a better player. I think that that subject may be debated for a long time into the future among Raptors fans.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    You can't compare two things when one of them has never existed. All we have to go on to compare T-Mac and DeRozan are their rookie seasons and athletic ability when they were rookies.
    Fine, then why are people trying to compare T-Mac's 14 year career to DeRozans non-existent 14 year career? You can't compare rookie seasons and extrapolate, it doesn't work like that. Otherwise I can look at your beloved Johnson's rookie season of 3 games played, compare it to Stromile Swift's rookie season and say that he will never reach the career Stromile Swift had. That's just baloney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Fine, then why are people trying to compare T-Mac's 14 year career to DeRozans non-existent 14 year career? You can't compare rookie seasons and extrapolate, it doesn't work like that. Otherwise I can look at your beloved Johnson's rookie season of 3 games played, compare it to Stromile Swift's rookie season and say that he will never reach the career Stromile Swift had. That's just baloney.
    That is an excellent question. I was wondering about that myself.

Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DD should stay here for 3 years and play for the Canadian national team

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Im gonna add onto this.... DD is gonna end up with a better career than VC as well. Both VC and t-mac have really done nothing team wise. They have always been very selfish players, injury prone, and only play when they want to. DD gives 100% at all time on the court and you can tell that his attitude is one that isnt gonna stand for losing. He is gonna do everything in his power to make this TEAM better. Something Bosh, Vince and T-Mac have never done.

Post Thanks / Like

Im gonna add onto this.... DD is gonna end up with a better career than VC as well. Both VC and t-mac have really done nothing team wise. They have always been very selfish players, injury prone, and only play when they want to. DD gives 100% at all time on the court and you can tell that his attitude is one that isnt gonna stand for losing. He is gonna do everything in his power to make this TEAM better. Something Bosh, Vince and T-Mac have never done.
    How true, how true.

The Magic advanced further in the playoffs when they had Turk as opposed to VC the very next season.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of you people need to curb your expectations of DeMar. He's played one rather unimpressive season and you guys are comparing him to career all-stars, and not only comparing but putting him above them. DeMar put up 8 points a game, he wasn't exactly putting up Tyreke/Curry/Jennings numbers last year.

Let's just settle down and be happy that he might become a serviceable starter in this league.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

See the difference is that Jennings, Curry and Evans were pretty much the focal point of the offense and Demar was the very very last option. He has a higher ceiling(Scouts have said) than ANYONE in that draft. With the way this kid works and his confidence there is no reason to believe that he wont be better than VC and T-Mac. Both are guys that got by on athletic ability and not on hard work. Demar has the entire package including a good head on his shoulders.
    Last edited by Selects87; Tue Aug 17th, 2010 at 05:22 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The unexplainable man love for Demar is almost Bargnani level.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

See the difference is that Jennings, Curry and Evans were pretty much the focal point of the offense and Demar was the very very last option.
    And because DeMar was the very last option, he is still UNPROVEN, and therefore we cannot place him at or above the level of multi-year allstars. Wait and see is always the best approach so you don't eat crow later. Just let the kid play without all these expectations. It's better for him and the fans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    That's a ridiculous thing to say, first off T-Mac's prime was spent in Orlando where he was arguably THE best player in the league and was surrounded by a bunch of nobodys because all their money was tied up in T-Mac and an injured Grant Hill and their drafting strategy was to always take the cleanest looking white guy available.

As well, barring Derozan making incredible leaps and bounds (knock on wood he does) he will never be on the same level as T-Mac, probably not even close to him, so having more playoff success means nothing. Zan Tabak had more playoff success than Charles Barkley, so what?
    I don't think it is a ridiculous thing to say.

McGrady was a spectacular athlete who at one time in his career could score as well as anyone in the league at that time. So I hear where you are coming from

Thread Information