Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bargs' Defense Not Improved Over The Summer

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bargs' Defense Not Improved Over The Summer

Sure I think they want to move him to PF so he can utilize more of his face up game - but alas many players don't improve after 4 years in the league - Bargs is likely one of them who has realized his potential.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ouch. Man, i hope BC was watchin that game and figure he really NEEDS to get a center. bargs clearly cannot handle bulky centers. I didnt count but it looked like Bargs gave him 3 and-1s. YIKES.

Raptors Republic Rookie RecklessIndifference's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why Italy was letting Andrea D him up one on one. It looked like an obvious mis-match.

Hopefully Triano knows this as well

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxZeZ7JGpPw

Sure I think they want to move him to PF so he can utilize more of his face up game - but alas many players don't improve after 4 years in the league - Bargs is likely one of them who has realized his potential.
    Being at PF has NOTHING to do with Bargs ability to use his face up game. In fact, his face up game becomes more of a weapon when he's matched up against slower Centres.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RecklessIndifference wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure why Italy was letting Andrea D him up one on one. It looked like an obvious mis-match.
    Because Bargnani is an NBA player who SHOULD be able to guard his man one on one in international play. Blaming the Italian coaches is really beside the point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Because Bargnani is an NBA player who SHOULD be able to guard his man one on one in international play. Blaming the Italian coaches is really beside the point.
    If your man is constantly getting out muscled and put out of position, and basically dominated, you need to make an adjustment.

From what I hear in scouting reports on Nikola Pekovic they should have known this going in.

So no, it is not "beside the point". The Italian coaches either a) made a huge mistake in their defensive scheme or b) did not have the personel to do anything about it.

So my point is, seeing this I hope Triano has an idea what he is dealing with when he is thinking about starting Andrea at the C position.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Brasky wrote: View Post
    Being at PF has NOTHING to do with Bargs ability to use his face up game. In fact, his face up game becomes more of a weapon when he's matched up against slower Centres.

+1
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

If your man is constantly getting out muscled and put out of position, and basically dominated, you need to make an adjustment.

From what I hear in scouting reports on Nikola Pekovic they should have known this going in.

So no, it is not "beside the point". The Italian coaches either a) made a huge mistake in their defensive scheme or b) did not have the personel to do anything about it.

So my point is, seeing this I hope Triano has an idea what he is dealing with when he is thinking about starting Andrea at the C position.
    I don't personally care what the Italian coaches did, but the point is that Bargnani was dominated by a player who hasn't played a minute in the NBA. And I would rather Colangelo has seen this and decided to trade him.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about Andrea's one-to-one defense game, he held his own against other big centers last season. What I would like to see from Andrea defense improved is the team defense. But this would require a good defensive coach to came up with a team defense plan that works for Raptors and Andrea.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote insight_tor wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't worry about Andrea's one-to-one defense game, he held his own against other big centers last season. What I would like to see from Andrea defense improved is the team defense. But this would require a good defensive coach to came up with a team defense plan that works for Raptors and Andrea.
    Exactly. Bargnani proved to be quite competent last year in one on one situations, especially in the post.
    Last edited by Brasky; Mon Aug 16th, 2010 at 03:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Brasky wrote: View Post
    come to think of it, you are right. maybe thats why the raps have been playing him on the 5 all along. a scoring center is quite rare so on any given night, bargs doesnt really have to exert that much effort playing one on one D on a 5. now if he moves to the PF position, the more his defensive weakness will be exploited coz he will have to guard the likes of Bosh, Dirk, Aldrige....maybe a shot blocking PF is what we needed all along....anybody mentioned ED DAVIS??? whoa!

Post Thanks / Like

He should, but if he cant, its up to the coaches to change matchups. thats what theyre being paid for.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't personally care what the Italian coaches did, but the point is that Bargnani was dominated by a player who hasn't played a minute in the NBA. And I would rather Colangelo has seen this and decided to trade him.
    i dont think that matters. not all the best players play in the NBA.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's more important that Triano and his staff create the right defensive system, rather than trade away our best offensive player

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's more important that Triano and this staff create the right defensive system rather than trade away our best offensive player
    That is what they are paying Carlesimo the big bucks to do.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be exactly the kind of match-up that Bargnani is poor against one-on-one: quick, big, and knows how to use both to his advantage. He kinda reminds me of Demarcus Cousins (minus the jump shot). I don't think it matters that he hasn't played a minute in the NBA (he'll be with the TWolves next season). That's like saying there aren't any good players in International ball that aren't in the NBA.

That said Bargnani's passion for defense is as nonexistent as ever. It's like he doesn't even try, and relies too much on his size. And I do hope that Colangelo takes the first few months of this season to really ask himself if Bargnani (and his job) is worth keeping. My take is still that he isn't worth anything more than a first big off the bench for offense. Good offensive player, but does not cut it as a starter due to lack of defensive skills and instincts.

Raptors Republic Rookie RaptorRoo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim W: Even the greatest players in NBA history have had bad games...Don't write Bargs off just yet, and frankly you don't have a choice because he isn't going anywhere...Besides, Colangelo probably did see that game but he understands that good players have bad games and that Bargs best is yet to come...So, lets see what he does this season before you scream trade like a madman...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jlongs wrote: View Post
    Seems to be exactly the kind of match-up that Bargnani is poor against one-on-one: quick, big, and knows how to use both to his advantage. He kinda reminds me of Demarcus Cousins (minus the jump shot). I don't think it matters that he hasn't played a minute in the NBA (he'll be with the TWolves next season). That's like saying there aren't any good players in International ball that aren't in the NBA.

That said Bargnani's passion for defense is as nonexistent as ever. It's like he doesn't even try, and relies too much on his size. And I do hope that Colangelo takes the first few months of this season to really ask himself if Bargnani (and his job) is worth keeping. My take is still that he isn't worth anything more than a first big off the bench for offense. Good offensive player, but does not cut it as a starter due to lack of defensive skills and instincts.
    We all know Bargs defense is not the best, but we cant keep saying that colangelo needs to trade him just because of his poor defensive skills. You cant all be thinking that BC is so dumb that he doesnt know Bargs cant play D. He knows. Everybody knows. BC and his staff knew before they drafted bargs, im pretty sure that scouting report on him had 0 beside defense. But thats not why BC drafted him, he's a 7 footer who can create his own shot, dribble penetrate and shoot the 3. if you put a defensive center beside him, he's golden. thats why bosh never took the raps anywhere because he cant play D and neither does his center (bargs). Dirk has taken the mavs far coz he's always had damp, and now haywood. bargs was drafted for his offense and not defense so quit forcing him to play D. in the nba, you dont get players because you want to turn them into something, you get them for who they are. if youre a GM and you get an offensive minded player to get him to play defense then youre screwed. BC knows bargs cannot rebound or play D, just look at the players he's surrounding bargs now.

Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

lol forget bargs lets sign that pekovic guy hes a beast!!!!!

Raptors Republic Rookie G-locity's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its true that bargs needs a stud at the 5 to take care of the dirty jobs around the paint but if BC can provide this player and bargs still sruggles then what? I guess we all just have to see and wait.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information