Bargs' Defense Not Improved Over The Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bargs' Defense Not Improved Over The Summer

Sure I think they want to move him to PF so he can utilize more of his face up game - but alas many players don't improve after 4 years in the league - Bargs is likely one of them who has realized his potential.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Ouch. Man, i hope BC was watchin that game and figure he really NEEDS to get a center. bargs clearly cannot handle bulky centers. I didnt count but it looked like Bargs gave him 3 and-1s. YIKES.

Comment

I'm not sure why Italy was letting Andrea D him up one on one. It looked like an obvious mis-match.

Hopefully Triano knows this as well

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxZeZ7JGpPw

Sure I think they want to move him to PF so he can utilize more of his face up game - but alas many players don't improve after 4 years in the league - Bargs is likely one of them who has realized his potential.
        Being at PF has NOTHING to do with Bargs ability to use his face up game. In fact, his face up game becomes more of a weapon when he's matched up against slower Centres.

Comment

RecklessIndifference wrote: View Post
          I'm not sure why Italy was letting Andrea D him up one on one. It looked like an obvious mis-match.
          Because Bargnani is an NBA player who SHOULD be able to guard his man one on one in international play. Blaming the Italian coaches is really beside the point.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            Because Bargnani is an NBA player who SHOULD be able to guard his man one on one in international play. Blaming the Italian coaches is really beside the point.
            If your man is constantly getting out muscled and put out of position, and basically dominated, you need to make an adjustment.

From what I hear in scouting reports on Nikola Pekovic they should have known this going in.

So no, it is not "beside the point". The Italian coaches either a) made a huge mistake in their defensive scheme or b) did not have the personel to do anything about it.

So my point is, seeing this I hope Triano has an idea what he is dealing with when he is thinking about starting Andrea at the C position.

Comment

Brasky wrote: View Post
              Being at PF has NOTHING to do with Bargs ability to use his face up game. In fact, his face up game becomes more of a weapon when he's matched up against slower Centres.

+1
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

If your man is constantly getting out muscled and put out of position, and basically dominated, you need to make an adjustment.

From what I hear in scouting reports on Nikola Pekovic they should have known this going in.

So no, it is not "beside the point". The Italian coaches either a) made a huge mistake in their defensive scheme or b) did not have the personel to do anything about it.

So my point is, seeing this I hope Triano has an idea what he is dealing with when he is thinking about starting Andrea at the C position.
                I don't personally care what the Italian coaches did, but the point is that Bargnani was dominated by a player who hasn't played a minute in the NBA. And I would rather Colangelo has seen this and decided to trade him.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about Andrea's one-to-one defense game, he held his own against other big centers last season. What I would like to see from Andrea defense improved is the team defense. But this would require a good defensive coach to came up with a team defense plan that works for Raptors and Andrea.

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                    I wouldn't worry about Andrea's one-to-one defense game, he held his own against other big centers last season. What I would like to see from Andrea defense improved is the team defense. But this would require a good defensive coach to came up with a team defense plan that works for Raptors and Andrea.
                    Exactly. Bargnani proved to be quite competent last year in one on one situations, especially in the post.
                    Last edited by Brasky; Mon Aug 16, 2010, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Brasky wrote: View Post
                      come to think of it, you are right. maybe thats why the raps have been playing him on the 5 all along. a scoring center is quite rare so on any given night, bargs doesnt really have to exert that much effort playing one on one D on a 5. now if he moves to the PF position, the more his defensive weakness will be exploited coz he will have to guard the likes of Bosh, Dirk, Aldrige....maybe a shot blocking PF is what we needed all along....anybody mentioned ED DAVIS??? whoa!

Comment

He should, but if he cant, its up to the coaches to change matchups. thats what theyre being paid for.

Comment

I don't personally care what the Italian coaches did, but the point is that Bargnani was dominated by a player who hasn't played a minute in the NBA. And I would rather Colangelo has seen this and decided to trade him.
                          i dont think that matters. not all the best players play in the NBA.

Comment

I think it's more important that Triano and his staff create the right defensive system, rather than trade away our best offensive player

Comment

I think it's more important that Triano and this staff create the right defensive system rather than trade away our best offensive player
                              That is what they are paying Carlesimo the big bucks to do.
                              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                              X