Bargs' Defense Not Improved Over The Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jrdyck wrote: View Post
    Guys, I think we're underestimating the talent of Nikola Pekovic... he was projected to go as high as top 5 in the 2008 NBA Draft, but he fell to the second round because he was contractually committed to his European club long-term. Not sure what happened between then and now. Anyway, it's quite possible he'll be part of a two-man race with Darko for the starting center spot in Minny.

Just sayin'... he's not exactly a scrub. Easily one of the best non-NBA players over the past few years.
    Yep, Pekovic is good, very good. You need a time defense to stop someone like him...

All-Euroleague Second Team: (2008)
    Won the Greek Cup: (2009)
    Won 2 Greek Championships: (2009, 2010)
    All-Euroleague First Team: (2009)
    Won the Euroleague Championship: (2009)
    Won the Triple Crown: (2009)

Comment

if this is our franchise player were f%#ked. Imagin what the NBA will do with him this year, he's playing against a bunch of international scrubs and can't dominate the game on either end of the floor. Youre the #1 pick in the NBA. What are you going to do against Bosh, Bozer, Gasol, Garnett and company.
      Last edited by brakeman1; Mon Aug 16, 2010, 10:09 PM.

Comment

dn66 wrote: View Post
        Yep, Pekovic is good, very good. You need a time defense to stop someone like him...

All-Euroleague Second Team: (2008)
        Won the Greek Cup: (2009)
        Won 2 Greek Championships: (2009, 2010)
        All-Euroleague First Team: (2009)
        Won the Euroleague Championship: (2009)
        Won the Triple Crown: (2009)
        This. And from what I've read, and even from what this video shows, his game should translate to the NBA pretty smoothly

Comment

RecklessIndifference wrote: View Post
          This. And from what I've read, and even from what this video shows, his game should translate to the NBA pretty smoothly
          He should look really good with Love.

Bargani and Davis

vs

Pekovic and Love
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I love bargnani but the fact is he needs some real help. And when I mean help I mean HELP. I thinkk bryan needs to send him to the raptors basketball academy so that he can learn how to box out and learn the fundamentals of DEFENCE.

Comment

shazzy wrote: View Post
              I love bargnani but the fact is he needs some real help. And when I mean help I mean HELP. I thinkk bryan needs to send him to the raptors basketball academy so that he can learn how to box out and learn the fundamentals of DEFENCE.
              Lol with the BC sending Bargs to the Raptors Basketball Academy to learn how to box out and learn the fundamentals of defence. . I thought Bargs should have learn't that few years ago.

Comment

There is no limit to the amount of excuses Bargnani gets:

The coaches left him to dry. Triano is much smarter than that. He'll send an extra defender every night to double Barg's man.

Pekovic is an allstar in disguise.

His naturally position is PF therefore when labeled as a C he can't play defense, because, he's a PF.

His teammates fault for letting dribble penetration. Who care's if most defensive schemes have the guards funneling their man to the help defender (usually, the C).

Bargs is the type of player that everyone else on the floor should have to compensate for. He's that good.

Every good player has a bad game. Coincidentally Bargs has a lot of bad games. Doesn't mean anything.

If everyone was as good as a one-on-one defender as Bargs, we wouldn't need him to improve his team defense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

All this from only one thread. I'm sure the list will grow as the view/replies increase.
                Last edited by Krix; Tue Aug 17, 2010, 12:56 AM.

Comment

RecklessIndifference wrote: View Post
                  I think it's more important that Triano and his staff create the right defensive system, rather than trade away our best offensive player
                  I think it's more important to have a roster of players that don't have fatal flaws. Bargnani may be the Raptors best offensive player, but that says more about the roster than it does about Bargnani. If you want to keep Bargnani because he is an important piece of the foundation of the future of the franchise, then fine. But don't keep him because he's the best offensive player on a team without a lot of good offensive players. That;s kind of ridiculous, especially considering this is a lottery team.

tbihis wrote: View Post
                  We all know Bargs defense is not the best, but we cant keep saying that colangelo needs to trade him just because of his poor defensive skills. You cant all be thinking that BC is so dumb that he doesnt know Bargs cant play D. He knows. Everybody knows. BC and his staff knew before they drafted bargs, im pretty sure that scouting report on him had 0 beside defense. But thats not why BC drafted him, he's a 7 footer who can create his own shot, dribble penetrate and shoot the 3. if you put a defensive center beside him, he's golden. thats why bosh never took the raps anywhere because he cant play D and neither does his center (bargs). Dirk has taken the mavs far coz he's always had damp, and now haywood. bargs was drafted for his offense and not defense so quit forcing him to play D. in the nba, you dont get players because you want to turn them into something, you get them for who they are. if youre a GM and you get an offensive minded player to get him to play defense then youre screwed. BC knows bargs cannot rebound or play D, just look at the players he's surrounding bargs now.
                  Bargnani is not simply a player with poor defensive skills. He's a 7 footer who can't play team defense, is an extremely poor rebounder and cannot actually create his own shot very well. He can go past guys who fall for his pump fake, but his shooting percentage goes WAY down the moment he puts the ball on the floor. He doesn't move well without the ball, has no move except for a pump fake and drive right, and is a passable, at best, post player who doesn't draw fouls.

If you put a good defensive center beside him, he'll still be a poor defensive and rebounding 7 footer who needs help to score. You can surround him with better defensive players, but this isn't Steve Nash we're talking about here. Bargnani isn't that good on offense that you need to build around him and protect him on the defensive end. He's a half decent scorer and scoring is his BIGGEST strength. I mean, if this were a Kevin Durant-type talent on the offensive end, I can see trying to build around him. But he's not even close to that. This is, quite frankly, a half decent player that shouldn't even be the second option on a good team. Why adjust the entire team for a player like that?
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Did no one read what I wrote about Bargnani's defense in my post about my favorite player? HAHA

Comment

Another retarded thread by the once respected buddah. ANdrea was matched up once one on one with peckovic. I wish that you and Tim would stop producing such useless garbage that borders on SLANDER. THat whole video is pick and rolls and someone else is guarding Pekovic. YOU TWO CLOWNS WOULD SLANDER ANDREA EVEN IF YOU DIDN"T GET PAID to do it

Comment

So let me get this straight:

Bargnani, while playing on a very poor Italian squad, got abused defensively in the euroleague and is therefore not going to improve in defense in the NBA.

Linas Kleiza, who played on a very good Olymiakos squad, averaged 17 ppg but won't be able to be an offensive threat in the NBA.

Yep, makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

Frankthetank wrote: View Post
                          Another retarded thread by the once respected buddah. ANdrea was matched up once one on one with peckovic. I wish that you and Tim would stop producing such useless garbage that borders on SLANDER. THat whole video is pick and rolls and someone else is guarding Pekovic. YOU TWO CLOWNS WOULD SLANDER ANDREA EVEN IF YOU DIDN"T GET PAID to do it
                          I don't believe that I started this thread? Just saying

Are you upset?

Or this post reflective of your normal state of mind?

Just asking
                          Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Aug 17, 2010, 09:08 AM.
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                            So let me get this straight:

Bargnani, while playing on a very poor Italian squad, got abused defensively in the euroleague and is therefore not going to improve in defense in the NBA.

Linas Kleiza, who played on a very good Olymiakos squad, averaged 17 ppg but won't be able to be an offensive threat in the NBA.

Yep, makes perfect sense to me.
                            I think you are wrong about Kleiza.

Kleiza was inconsistent in his scoring at Denver primarily because he was Melo's, he got to rest a few minutes, guy.

But when Kleiza plays consistent minutes he has shown with Denver that he can fill it up.

The question is can Kleiza fill it up in the NBA when he starts and plays 30 mpg?

I wouldn't bet against him averaging 15 + per game in 10-11

We will find out

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              He should look really good with Love.

Bargani and Davis

vs

Pekovic and Love
                              With Ridnour, Flynn and Webster on the perimiter the T-Wolves are't looking too bad. Too bad they are stuck out west.

Also it's too bad that they will prob start Darko and Love. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                                I think you are wrong about Kleiza.

Kleiza was inconsistent in his scoring at Denver primarily because he was Melo's, he got to rest a few minutes, guy.

But when Kleiza plays consistent minutes he has shown with Denver that he can fill it up.

The question is can Kleiza fill it up in the NBA when he starts and plays 30 mpg?

I wouldn't bet against him averaging 15 + per game in 10-11

We will find out
                                I think you misunderstood my post. I was pointing out the irony. Several people don't think that Kleiza's offense will translate from euroleague to the NBA, but everyone in this thread thinks that Bargnani's defense (or lack there of) will translate from europe to the NBA.

Comment

Working...
                                X