Bargs' Defense Not Improved Over The Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RecklessIndifference wrote: View Post
    With Ridnour, Flynn and Webster on the perimiter the T-Wolves are't looking too bad. Too bad they are stuck out west.

Also it's too bad that they will prob start Darko and Love. I hope I'm wrong.
    A lot of fans and those in the LSSM aren't to high on Love's game. His defense can be improved, However for player that has come in off of the bench in his first two years in the league; i.e; 82 games vs 59 he has still managed to have averaged a career double double rounded off. I don't know of any other player in NBA history that has averaged a career double double primarily coming off of the bench. Do you?

On top of that he is one of the best passing big men in the NBA and has a high basketball IQ.

Career Nos

MPG------26.7
    PPG-------12.3
    RPG-------9.9
    FG%------.455
    FT%------.801
    PER--------19.4
    Off Rat-----113
    Def Rat-----109
    WS/48------.131

In his two years with the T-Wolves his Wn Shares are greater than 25% of the T-Wolves win total. Only a couple of percentage points below Bosh's Wins Shares percentage of total Raptor wins over the same period.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../loveke01.html
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
      I think you misunderstood my post. I was pointing out the irony. Several people don't think that Kleiza's offense will translate from euroleague to the NBA, but everyone in this thread thinks that Bargnani's defense (or lack there of) will translate from europe to the NBA.
      My bad on my last comment regarding your post.

I agree with what you posted above
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I would just like to point out that while the defense Bargs showed was poor, the video shows that it was a team problem not just his. If you watch the video closely you'll see that on a good many of the plays that Bargs is not the man originally guarding Mr. Pekovic and alot of the plays he gets schooled on were when he was coming over to help and had to leave pekovic. On the plays that he got beat pretty bad of an entry pass you can see that no one came over to help and he was basically left to guard a very quick 7 footer guy that outweighs him buy 15 pounds in the low post. I know we all expect better from our starting center, but I don't think this is as much of an indictment as some of you make it out to be. Wait till Christmas to make your judgements.
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          A lot of fans and those in the LSSM aren't to high on Love's game. His defense can be improved, However for player that has come in off of the bench in his first two years in the league; i.e; 82 games vs 59 he has still managed to have averaged a career double double rounded off. I don't know of any other player in NBA history that has averaged a career double double primarily coming off of the bench. Do you?

On top of that he is one of the best passing big men in the NBA and has a high basketball IQ.

Career Nos

MPG------26.7
          PPG-------12.3
          RPG-------9.9
          FG%------.455
          FT%------.801
          PER--------19.4
          Off Rat-----113
          Def Rat-----109
          WS/48------.131

In his two years with the T-Wolves his Wn Shares are greater than 25% of the T-Wolves win total. Only a couple of percentage points below Bosh's Wins Shares percentage of total Raptor wins over the same period.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../loveke01.html
          Those are some really interesting stats. To be honest I havn't been paying too much attention to him since he left college. Looks like he could be a key piece to a championship team sometime in the future.

The only other guy I can think of who put up those kinds of stats off the bench would be Dennis Rodman in Detroit.

Comment

Those are some really interesting stats. To be honest I havn't been paying too much attention to him since he left college. Looks like he could be a key piece to a championship team sometime in the future.

The only other guy I can think of who put up those kinds of stats off the bench would be Dennis Rodman in Detroit.
            Unfortunately Pistons/Rodman never help him develop his offensive game and the SAS and Bulls basically let what there was of it atrophy, otherwise he might have been a pretty good scorer to go with his defense and possibly one of the best NBA players ever.

PPG starting with his rookie season

86-87--------6.5
            87-88--------11.6 -- He could have been a 15-20 ppg guy if the Pistons had helped him develop his offensive game
            88-89--------9.0
            89-90--------8.8
            90-91--------8.2
            91-92--------9.8
            92-93--------7.5
            93-94--------4.7 First season with the Spurs
            94-95--------7.1
            95-96 First season with the Bulls. From that season forward he never averaged over 5.7 per game for the rest of his career

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...rodmade01.html

Rodman never could shoot the three ball. Love should become a pretty decent three point shooter and he is a better foul shooter.

Loves 3FG%
            ------------------
            08-09---10%
            09-10---33%

I expect it will continue to got upward.

Actually Love's rebound rate per 36 minutes is greater than Rodman's was in his first two seasons.

However, Rodman may give hope to the Bargnani fans

It wasn't until Rodman's sixth season in the league that he became the rebounding machine that we all remember him as.
            (There is always that exception that proves the rule) In his first five years he was very good but not exceptional. All of a sudden in his sixth year his rebounding rate skyrocketed.

His sixth season was the only time he ever came close to averaging a double double at 9.8 and 12.3

Comment

Krix wrote: View Post
              There is no limit to the amount of excuses Bargnani gets:

All this from only one thread. I'm sure the list will grow as the view/replies increase.
              How right you are - and it starts with BC - he has been deflecting criticism away from Bargs since year 1 and a number of the die-hards eat up the spin.

The reality is he is a 7 footer with above average agility and shot and very below average defending a rebounding - BC will try to make him a volume shooter by surrounding him with blue collar guys.
              "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                How right you are - and it starts with BC - he has been deflecting criticism away from Bargs since year 1 and a number of the die-hards eat up the spin.

The reality is he is a 7 footer with above average agility and shot and very below average defending a rebounding - BC will try to make him a volume shooter by surrounding him with blue collar guys.
                Um, "above average" agility and shot? This guy is 7 foot tall, 250 pounds and can run past pretty much every big man in the league. The only other guy I can see do that is LeBron. And his defence is atleast average. C'mon. He looked pretty good in the post last year, he just needs to improve him team-defence and that can be worked on. Yes we might be giving excuses for Bargnani, but he's our hope, if we stop giving him excuses we're just killing his morale, self-esteem and confidence. And it will ruin his career. He needs US fans to help him develop, we don't help, then we just wasted a great talent and 5 years.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                  However, Rodman may give hope to the Bargnani fans

It wasn't until Rodman's sixth season in the league that he became the rebounding machine that we all remember him as.
                  (There is always that exception that proves the rule) In his first five years he was very good but not exceptional. All of a sudden in his sixth year his rebounding rate skyrocketed.

His sixth season was the only time he ever came close to averaging a double double at 9.8 and 12.3
                  All he needs is that rapid-trampoline-throwyourelbows style rebounding approach.

Here's hoping!....

Comment

Should I be hoping to see Bargnani with blue hair next year? :S

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                      ... Yes we might be giving excuses for Bargnani, but he's our hope, if we stop giving him excuses we're just killing his morale, self-esteem and confidence. And it will ruin his career.
                      2 things:
                      1) Bargs needs to earn my compliments - I am not going to say nice things if they are not true.
                      2) I actually think Bargs confidence and self esteem is self regulated. He is mentally very tough he is not a cry baby head case like Rafer Alston or even Wince Carter for that matter.

Comment

2 things:
                        1) Bargs needs to earn my compliments - I am not going to say nice things if they are not true.
                        2) I actually think Bargs confidence and self esteem is self regulated. He is mentally very tough he is not a cry baby head case like Rafer Alston or even Wince Carter for that matter.
                        Is it weird that I read your comments in the voice of Charles Barkley? Can you bust out some "I'm not a role model... Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids" and "I don't know what that gas is made of, but it can't smell any worse than Ernie Johnson 's gym bag" type quotes in your comments?

Comment

Is it weird that I read your comments in the voice of Charles Barkley? Can you bust out some "I'm not a role model... Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids" and "I don't know what that gas is made of, but it can't smell any worse than Ernie Johnson 's gym bag" type quotes in your comments?
                          or saying trrrble - LOL - check this vid out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKTb5Nfyh1o

Comment

or saying trrrble - LOL - check this vid out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKTb5Nfyh1o
                            LOL... if you could just work in 'trrible' and 'knucklehead' into every comment that would be great.

TY

Comment

I doubt that because BC wants to keep his job.

Comment

All he needs is that rapid-trampoline-throwyourelbows style rebounding approach.

Here's hoping!....
                                You mean like this guy

Comment

Working...
                                X