Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Ed Davis & Al Horford Comparison

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Ed Davis & Al Horford Comparison

    In what promises to be a rebuilding / tanking-to-draft-a-good-PG year most people are only excited about seeing the growth of DeMar and Sonny - I think the surprise will be Ed Davis - having watched him play @ UNC - I am a huge fan of his game and the Raps got the steal of the draft @ 13.

    As soon as his sophomore year I think you can expect Al Horford type numbers from him - bit more shot blocking bit less rebounding lets compare:


    ED |6'10 | 230lbs | 7'(wingspan) | 36 inch vert | 3/4 court sprint 3.21
    AL |6'10 | 245lbs | 7'(wingspan) | 35 inch vert | 3/4 court sprint 3.37

    Stats/per/game (final year in NCAA of both)
    ED 13pts | .58 FGP | 9.2 Reb | 2.7 Blocks | 1.9 TO | 1.8pf
    AL 13pts | .61 FGP | 9.5 Reb | 1.8 Blocks | 1.8 TO | 2.5pf

    The similarities are uncanny - this does not always translate into NBA of course. But in this case there is plenty of reason to think so.

    Top Rookies should be DeMarcus Cousins & John Wall will burst out of the gate year one. Years down the road Ed Davis will be named among the top picks of this draft though for sure.

    One other note about Ed Davis is his temperament. He has a very cool demeanor somewhat like Ray Allen. Very methodical about crushing his opponent never too high never too low - extremely composed and mature beyond his years.


  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Rookie RecklessIndifference's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If he can be that Al Horford type player I would be very happy. If he can translate that shot blocking presence he will be the steal of the draft.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That 15 pound difference is pretty big, but over the years Davis can build muscle to become stronger and a bigger presence...

  4. #4
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ed's draft comparison (best case/worst case as per Draft Express) was Al Horford/Udonis Haslem(...minus the drugs).

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    In what promises to be a rebuilding / tanking-to-draft-a-good-PG year most people are only excited about seeing the growth of DeMar and Sonny - I think the surprise will be Ed Davis - having watched him play @ UNC - I am a huge fan of his game and the Raps got the steal of the draft @ 13.

    As soon as his sophomore year I think you can expect Al Horford type numbers from him - bit more shot blocking bit less rebounding lets compare:


    ED |6'10 | 230lbs | 7'(wingspan) | 36 inch vert | 3/4 court sprint 3.21
    AL |6'10 | 245lbs | 7'(wingspan) | 35 inch vert | 3/4 court sprint 3.37

    Stats/per/game (final year in NCAA of both)
    ED 13pts | .58 FGP | 9.2 Reb | 2.7 Blocks | 1.9 TO | 1.8pf
    AL 13pts | .61 FGP | 9.5 Reb | 1.8 Blocks | 1.8 TO | 2.5pf

    The similarities are uncanny - this does not always translate into NBA of course. But in this case there is plenty of reason to think so.

    Top Rookies should be DeMarcus Cousins & John Wall will burst out of the gate year one. Years down the road Ed Davis will be named among the top picks of this draft though for sure.

    One other note about Ed Davis is his temperament. He has a very cool demeanor somewhat like Ray Allen. Very methodical about crushing his opponent never too high never too low - extremely composed and mature beyond his years.

    1. Interesting comparison - The one difference is that Horford's Florida team as I recall won two Final Fours and he was a very big part of that.

    In any case I am sure that all of us here would love to see Davis's NBA game equal or exceed Horfords

    2. At the Chicago Combine Horford scored a 20 in the bench press. Davis probably because of his wrist did not compete in it. Davis scored somewhat better in the "lane agility" test.

    3. Blake Griffin is also in the running for the ROY. Most likely though ESPN will hype Cousins and Wall and pretty much ignore Griffin like they did Jennings except when he scored 55 in that one game and of course in the playoffs. So in the end no matter how well Griffin plays he probably won't win the ROY.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Aug 17th, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Ed's draft comparison (best case/worst case as per Draft Express) was Al Horford/Udonis Haslem(...minus the drugs).
    Does it say "minus the drugs" on that actual website?

    Taking a little literary license are you, eh
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Rookie G-locity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think demar and ed are the new faces of the raps, demar is working hard on his game and is setting the bar at a high level for himself this year and davis will get stronger, bosh was tge same build when he first came to toronto so i dont think its gonna be a problem for the raps staff to do the same for davis. These two players will be talked about for years to come.

  8. #8
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Does it say "minus the drugs" on that actual website?

    Taking a little literary license are you, eh
    They probably felt it goes without saying but I disagree.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Davis has been overlooked and I think that actually will benefit him in his rookie campaign. Modest expectations and a modest role is what Davis needs coming out of the gate as he hones his chops and builds his confidence. I could easily see Davis developing into one of the best big men in a draft that was loaded with size. If I had to protect two player's on the team from a hypothetical expansion draft I would tag Davis and Derozan without blinking an eye.

    Buddha, what should ESPN have done to hype up a point guard who shot 37% during a year when Curry and Evans put up all world rookie campaigns. I am a huge Jennings guy and loved when he went to Europe instead of College, but I'd rank him as the third pg from last years draft and wonder how he is going to handle a sophomore season where he will be expected to shoot a much better percentage with significantly less shots. Having said that he is much more likely to lead his team to any sort of playoff success than Curry or Evans, although I think the Kings are going to surprise some people.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote G-locity wrote: View Post
    I think demar and ed are the new faces of the raps, demar is working hard on his game and is setting the bar at a high level for himself this year and davis will get stronger, bosh was tge same build when he first came to toronto so i dont think its gonna be a problem for the raps staff to do the same for davis. These two players will be talked about for years to come.
    yes DeMar is certified - I have no doubt he will be a top SG in the league by the end of his rookie contract.
    - perfect NBA body
    - Athletic phreak
    - Desire/ Work ethic
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    They probably felt it goes without saying but I disagree.
    You know about ye ole "Assume" thingy don't you?
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mo-sales wrote: View Post
    Davis has been overlooked and I think that actually will benefit him in his rookie campaign. Modest expectations and a modest role is what Davis needs coming out of the gate as he hones his chops and builds his confidence. I could easily see Davis developing into one of the best big men in a draft that was loaded with size. If I had to protect two player's on the team from a hypothetical expansion draft I would tag Davis and Derozan without blinking an eye.

    Buddha, what should ESPN have done to hype up a point guard who shot 37% during a year when Curry and Evans put up all world rookie campaigns. I am a huge Jennings guy and loved when he went to Europe instead of College, but I'd rank him as the third pg from last years draft and wonder how he is going to handle a sophomore season where he will be expected to shoot a much better percentage with significantly less shots. Having said that he is much more likely to lead his team to any sort of playoff success than Curry or Evans, although I think the Kings are going to surprise some people.
    Why does the league consider a team's standings when it comes to the MVP vote but not the ROY vote?

    Jenning's on court leadership was extremely instrumental in helping the Bucks achieve the success that they did last season. Of course there was Bogut, until he got injured, Salmons and Carlos who also contributed greatly to the Bucks team success in 09-10, but without Jennings, no way that the Bucks would have made the playoffs despite his low shooting percentage from the field.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good comparison and if Davis can turn in to a player similar to Horford I would be ecstatic. One thing to mention: Horford played 3 years of college, Davis 2. Davis missed the last part of the season due to injury (which everybody knows) but the Tar Heels certainly didn't have a deep team this year and Davis was surely always one of the main focal points for the opposition in preparation. Compare that to Horford and the teammates he played with his last 2 years (Noah, Corey Brewer, Taurean Green, Marresse Speights).

    I feel good about the prospects of Davis - hopefully he can adjust to the 'different' city of Toronto much like Johnson, Weems, and DeRozan appear to have.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Why does the league consider a team's standings when it comes to the MVP vote but not the ROY vote?

    Jenning's on court leadership was extremely instrumental in helping the Bucks achieve the success that they did last season. Of course there was Bogut, until he got injured, Salmons and Carlos who also contributed greatly to the Bucks team success in 09-10, but without Jennings, no way that the Bucks would have made the playoffs despite his low shooting percentage from the field.
    I agree his leadership and steady hand helped them down the stretch even though he shot 30% in February, but how much ROY consideration should a guy get who goes 15-5 with bad shooting percentages from the field. If anything the 55 point game put him on the map when his play didn't and the fact that the Bucks went on a magical run that more a result of Salmons that anything thrust his name into the ROY conversation.

    Going forward would you take him over Curry and Evans and what do you project for him this season?

    The two things he has going for him are his defense, which for a rookie was outstanding and the fact that that he upped his game in the playoffs when it mattered. It also shouldn't be underrated how much more of a transition he had to make from a regular rotation player in Europe to a star in the pro's whereas most rookies get the more traditional college year as a stepping stone.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    1. Interesting comparison - The one difference is that Horford's Florida team as I recall won two Final Fours and he was a very big part of that.

    In any case I am sure that all of us here would love to see Davis's NBA game equal or exceed Horfords

    2. At the Chicago Combine Horford scored a 20 in the bench press. Davis probably because of his wrist did not compete in it. Davis scored somewhat better in the "lane agility" test.

    3. Blake Griffin is also in the running for the ROY. Most likely though ESPN will hype Cousins and Wall and pretty much ignore Griffin like they did Jennings except when he scored 55 in that one game and of course in the playoffs. So in the end no matter how well Griffin plays he probably won't win the ROY.
    Ed Davis was part of a national championship his first year, and we'll give him a pass on his second year - since he missed the latter part of it with a wrist injury.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mo-sales wrote: View Post
    I agree his leadership and steady hand helped them down the stretch even though he shot 30% in February, but how much ROY consideration should a guy get who goes 15-5 with bad shooting percentages from the field. If anything the 55 point game put him on the map when his play didn't and the fact that the Bucks went on a magical run that more a result of Salmons that anything thrust his name into the ROY conversation.

    Going forward would you take him over Curry and Evans and what do you project for him this season?

    The two things he has going for him are his defense, which for a rookie was outstanding and the fact that that he upped his game in the playoffs when it mattered. It also shouldn't be underrated how much more of a transition he had to make from a regular rotation player in Europe to a star in the pro's whereas most rookies get the more traditional college year as a stepping stone.
    Take him over Curry or Evans?

    I really don't know.

    I am a little partial toward Jennings because he hangs with DeMar and Amir to a lesser extent in Los Angeles during the off season.

    Thankfully I will never be put in a decision to have to make that choice since I don't play fantasy basketball

    One thing I can say is that I would love to see him at PG for the Raptors rather than Jack or Calderon.

    The three Amigos from Compton, DeMar, Brandon and Amir, though Amir is really not from Compton but close enough for audit work

    P.S. Jennings was not a regular rotation player his one year in Europe. In fact he frequently never got off the bench and into games and when he did play his minutes were not very many.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Ed Davis was part of a national championship his first year, and we'll give him a pass on his second year - since he missed the latter part of it with a wrist injury.
    Thanks for reminding us. What you say is true but it sure seems like everyone who plays for North Carolina is part of a NCAA championship at one time or another during their time there, or at least a Final Four team. Not so with Florida.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Thanks for reminding us. What you say is true but it sure seems like everyone who plays for North Carolina is part of a NCAA championship at one time or another during their time there, or at least a Final Four team. Not so with Florida.
    ahem Florida wins back-to-back
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Rookie ShinobiOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Bulking up in the off season

    Davis definitely needs to bulk up...I'd say he's a more legit 225lb'er and the 20lb difference between him and Horford is signifigant. Horford is a beast and Davis will get knocked around at his current frame. That said, if he trains hard and bulks up in the offseason, there's no reason he can't put on 10lbs of muscle and be NBA ready at T camp.

    The question is whether the extra weight will affect his leaping ability and shot blocking capability...

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    That is what I posted earlier on this thread.

    The point of this post was to point out that Davis winning the NCAA Finals with N. Carolina was not near the accomplishment of Horford leading Florida to two back to back titles.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •