View Poll Results: Will The Raptors Retire #4?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It is a great idea

1 2.70%
  • Yes - However, it would be a stupid thing to do

0 0%
  • No - However, They will retire #4 anyway

0 0%
  • No - No way that the Raptors will retire #4

29 78.38%
  • Haven't thought about it, will decide later

1 2.70%
  • Haven't thought about it and don't plan to in the future

5 13.51%
  • Who gives a sheet?

1 2.70%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should The Raptors Retire #4?

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should The Raptors Retire #4?

Do you guys/gals think that the Raptors should retire #4?
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Rookie RecklessIndifference's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not at the moment. Ask me again in 8-10 years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RecklessIndifference wrote: View Post
    Not at the moment. Ask me again in 8-10 years
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

In fact (and I know I will get alot of hate for this) I believe Vince's number should be retired if we had to retire one.

The exposure and excitement he drilled into this team is unbelievable. The 'almost' conference finals. Games on prime time TV.

Post Thanks / Like

In fact (and I know I will get alot of hate for this) I believe Vince's number should be retired if we had to retire one.

The exposure and excitement he drilled into this team is unbelievable. The 'almost' conference finals. Games on prime time TV.
    So does that mean that you have no opinion on #4 or did you vote but just not comment on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a question. If Bosh had played seven years in L.A. or Boston, posted the same numbers as here, had the same accomplishments as here and had the same playoff failures as here would they retire his number? I would say absolutely not. They have establish standards. You need to be great to have your jersey retired there. Why should the Raptors not carry the same standard? Just because the franchise has not been successful does not mean the standards of who should be enshrined should be different. If the Raptors do have success and do develope great players who stay here for their entire career or most of their career, their numbers being retired and honored will mean less if guys like Carter and Bosh are already up there in the rafters.

If you want to see Bosh honored then maybe they should invite him back in four years for the 20th anniversary if he can be bothered to fit it into his thick schedule of tweeting and stroking his inflated needy ego.
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Aug 17th, 2010 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    So does that mean that you have no opinion on #4 or did you vote but just not comment on it?
    I voted. I believe I'm currently the only vote on there

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would they retire it? Because he was an all-star? You retire a number of a player if they took your franchise to or at least close to championship heights. Usually several times. Bosh never got out of the first round. Is Minnesota going to retire Kevin Garnett's jersey?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Is Minnesota going to retire Kevin Garnett's jersey?
    They damn well should

Post Thanks / Like

Let's just retire everyone's jersey number and add a third digit to the game!

[Warning: Message contains dangerous levels of sarcasm. If you are allergic to sarcasm please consult a physician.]
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Aug 17th, 2010 at 01:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i voted why and what for?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

They damn well should
    +10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Let's just retire everyone's jersey number and add a third digit to the game!

[Warning: Message contains dangerous levels of sarcasm. If you are allergic to sarcasm please consult a physician.]
    I see that you feel quite strongly about this issue.

I think that is very good.

He played for the Raptors for seven seasons and was "The Man" for part of that time. So a lot of fan energy went into supporting him and rooting for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets say that Bosh wins a ring or two or even more in Miami.

Will MLSE then retire his #4 to try and get some of the glow off of Bosh's success with the Heat?

Could be. We will have to wait and see.

What if Bosh eventually goes into the Naismith HOF?

Will he go in as a Raptors player, Heat player or some other team?

I think he has a shot at the Naismith eventually.

If he did eventually go into the Naismith and he was shown wearing a Raptors uniform, should MLSE retire his #4 at that time? I think that there is good chance that they would.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Aug 17th, 2010 at 01:44 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter RikkJames's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fawk..no!! not even a consideration.

As for the Hall of Fame, no chance of a Rapts jersey, he's gonna wait to see what LBJ and DWade do and follow suit again. A Raptor HOF Bust wont get no attention and wont sell his brand....: )
    Last edited by RikkJames; Tue Aug 17th, 2010 at 02:30 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

why don't we retire nate huffman and john wallaces jerseys too?

while we're in the business of contemplating undeserving retired jerseys, can we retire the ACC mop girl's sweet titties too?

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Retiring a jersey number is not an option for bosh, he didn't take us past the first round, wasn't an mvp candidate (except for small stretches his last year here) the only way bosh jersey could be retired at this level of success if he had stayed here his whole career. i would love to retire a raptors jeresy but we are still waiting for a player worthy enough.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Toronto retiring RuPaul's #4 would be like Memphis retiring Gasol's #16. It would be equivalent to the franchise saying a big "thank you" for three 1st round playoff KOs and years of filling up the stat sheet while making little impact in the win column.

If the Raps ever do retire #4, I hope it's in honor of Yogi Stewart.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you serious? For what? What has he accomplished? He put up good numbers on a bad team. Not saying he's a bad player, he's a real good player just not number retirement worthy.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Contextually this is such an inconsequential question. Really.

I write this because the man has essentially done nothing of real note in basketball either personally or for the Raptors...so far in his career. One never knows, he could be a Raptor again. My own view is that alongwith the above the player should be considered for the honour much like a hall-of-fame addition....when he is retired and an entire body of work is available. This thread considers Bosh....I remember reading about a similar posting somewhere about whether Shaq should be similarly honoured by the Lakers. I think I remember much negativity and this is after the very real accomplishments of Shaq there. The differences in the personal accomplishments are astounding...Bosh's # in Toronto hanging at the ACC vs. Baylor, West, Jabbar, Magic etc at the Forum. These are real icons. Lets not cheapen our standards....please!!

A resounding NO. (And this has nothing to do with his scuzzy behaviour leading upto his free agency signing).
    Last edited by Bendit; Tue Aug 17th, 2010 at 03:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information