View Poll Results: Will The Raptors Retire #4?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It is a great idea

1 2.70%
  • Yes - However, it would be a stupid thing to do

0 0%
  • No - However, They will retire #4 anyway

0 0%
  • No - No way that the Raptors will retire #4

29 78.38%
  • Haven't thought about it, will decide later

1 2.70%
  • Haven't thought about it and don't plan to in the future

5 13.51%
  • Who gives a sheet?

1 2.70%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should The Raptors Retire #4?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sly wrote: View Post
    Toronto retiring RuPaul's #4 would be like Memphis retiring Gasol's #16. It would be equivalent to the franchise saying a big "thank you" for three 1st round playoff KOs and years of filling up the stat sheet while making little impact in the win column.

If the Raps ever do retire #4, I hope it's in honor of Yogi Stewart.
    I like the cut of your jib... Minus the Yogi Stewart reference.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I say retire it.
    But put a C after the S. BOSCH.
    Like the washing machine.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Do you guys/gals think that the Raptors should retire #4?
    That is ridiculous after Bosh made a mockery of the city and organization and allowed HePothead to have the balls to talk after he played a disastrous season and was out of shape. . Ask the Cleveland fans if they will also retire LeBron James' #23 in the rafters after his ill-fated and narcissitic decision. . Players who get their numbers retired are classy, win, bare their heart out on the floor and are not scared of injury derailing their payday and do not make mockery of the city and organization they played for. . If Bosh and LeBron get their numbers retired in Toronto and Cleveland then any scum that can play ball and disrespects the organization too should have their numbers retired. .

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Here's a question. If Bosh had played seven years in L.A. or Boston, posted the same numbers as here, had the same accomplishments as here and had the same playoff failures as here would they retire his number? I would say absolutely not. They have establish standards. You need to be great to have your jersey retired there. Why should the Raptors not carry the same standard? Just because the franchise has not been successful does not mean the standards of who should be enshrined should be different. If the Raptors do have success and do develope great players who stay here for their entire career or most of their career, their numbers being retired and honored will mean less if guys like Carter and Bosh are already up there in the rafters.

If you want to see Bosh honored then maybe they should invite him back in four years for the 20th anniversary if he can be bothered to fit it into his thick schedule of tweeting and stroking his inflated needy ego.

+1

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

you dont reward mediocrity and losing. plain and simple. bosh led the team into developing a competitive culture that was just not good enough time after time, regardless of the different kinds of players he was surrounded with. he's our poster boy for being just on the cusp, but failing enough to be right below the mediocrity line.

he left town in a fitting manner. he pussed out during a playoff run. totally his character. no need to shower him with more undeserved praise.

i'd vote for retiring Dance Pack dancers sports bras before i'd ever support the idea of giving bosh anything more than a video montage.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

#4 will never be retired. MLSE does not retire jersey numbers but they will raise his jersey to the rafters along with VC. Both have been very very good players in their own right with the majority of there time spent here but neither will be a hall of famer and that should be the only way numbers should get retired.

Raptors Republic Starter Ryan_1523's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I still think Vince was the best thing that ever happened to the Raptors, regardless of the way he left, though.

What'd Bosh do to deserve his jersey retired? I believe this thread was just started for controversy.. So, no point in anyone getting heated over it.
    Last edited by Ryan_1523; Tue Aug 17th, 2010 at 05:03 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Contextually this is such an inconsequential question. Really.

I write this because the man has essentially done nothing of real note in basketball either personally or for the Raptors...so far in his career. One never knows, he could be a Raptor again. My own view is that alongwith the above the player should be considered for the honour much like a hall-of-fame addition....when he is retired and an entire body of work is available. This thread considers Bosh....I remember reading about a similar posting somewhere about whether Shaq should be similarly honoured by the Lakers. I think I remember much negativity and this is after the very real accomplishments of Shaq there. The differences in the personal accomplishments are astounding...Bosh's # in Toronto hanging at the ACC vs. Baylor, West, Jabbar, Magic etc at the Forum. These are real icons. Lets not cheapen our standards....please!!

A resounding NO. (And this has nothing to do with his scuzzy behaviour leading upto his free agency signing).
    +100. But...if we do, let's bring him back down and play this song while we raise his faggot-ass jersey.

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw0A8Es2eFQ
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Raptors Republic Rookie Jordan-Drexler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bosh wants his Jersey retired then let Miami do it. In the 7 years he was here he has lead Toronto to exactly 0 playoff series wins and an Atlantic division title in the weakest division in recent history. Then he admitted he couldn't do it and left the team. How does that warrant him getting his number retired. At least Garnett took his team to the conference finals in a heated west and people were scared to play that Minnesota team. When was the last time anyone was scared to play Bosh and The Raptors.

I would rather Toronto have no numbers retired than have numbers like his retired for the sake of it.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

No championships + Not a lifetime Raptor = No retired Jersey

Raptors Republic Rookie Blasterfi9's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah not rly, Vince Carter deserves to have his number retired before bosh does, and im still uncomfortable with VC at the moment, though i do think one day for him. probably not for Bosh

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Contextually this is such an inconsequential question. Really.

I write this because the man has essentially done nothing of real note in basketball either personally or for the Raptors...so far in his career. One never knows, he could be a Raptor again. My own view is that alongwith the above the player should be considered for the honour much like a hall-of-fame addition....when he is retired and an entire body of work is available. This thread considers Bosh....I remember reading about a similar posting somewhere about whether Shaq should be similarly honoured by the Lakers. I think I remember much negativity and this is after the very real accomplishments of Shaq there. The differences in the personal accomplishments are astounding...Bosh's # in Toronto hanging at the ACC vs. Baylor, West, Jabbar, Magic etc at the Forum. These are real icons. Lets not cheapen our standards....please!!

A resounding NO. (And this has nothing to do with his scuzzy behaviour leading upto his free agency signing).
    Do you think Laimbeer was better than Bosh? Yes the Pistons won two titles with him as their non-jumping center but was he a better player than Bosh?

Altogether, Laimbeer spent 14 seasons in the NBA, 12 of them with Detroit. Laimbeer became the 19th player in league history to amass more than 10,000 points and 10,000 rebounds. Laimbeer was most effective off the defensive glass: from 1982 to 1990 no player in the league totaled more defensive rebounds. His streak of 685 consecutive games played (which ended due to suspension) is the fifth longest in league history. Laimbeer retired early in the 1993-94 season at age 36, and his jersey number (40) was eventually retired by the Pistons. He remains the franchise's all-time leader in career rebounds.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Laimbeer
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    I say retire it.
    But put a C after the S. BOSCH.
    Like the washing machine.
    I just noticed my new cordless drill is a Bosch. Last I heard it was thinking of leaving me to join up with a chainsaw and jackhammer in my neighbour's garage......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information