2 Trades: IND-CHA-TOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Trades: IND-CHA-TOR

(This became much more complicated than I had hoped but the trade machine kept telling me I was off by $280K, $9K, $86K, etc.)

I don't know how most of you put a trade together in the ESPN trade machine but for me I try to think what is realistic for all teams - of course it is impossible to know what each GM is trying to do but you can take educated guesses. With that no team is ever going to come out the 100% winner (unless you are making a trade with a former Raptors GM) so you have to give a little to get a little.

The names that keep popping up around the Raptors (Calderon) are the Pacers (Ford) and Bobcats (Diaw and Dampier). What does each team want? Raptors trying to unload Calderon's CONTRACT (not necessarily Jose the player) and gain financial flexibility while trying to rebuild quickly, Pacers want rid of Ford and need big guys, and Bobcats want a starting PG at all costs as they lost Felton and did make the playoffs last year but do not want to pay luxury tax. Remember, for small market teams or teams having no chance of going deep in the playoffs being under the luxury tax is huge because they don't have to pay a dollar for dollar tax and they get a slice of the money from the teams that do.

Remember to get something, you have to give something :

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=28nlbxp
    (for this one add Stephenson to Charlotte - I don't think Larry Legend will be keeping him around after the stair incident)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2c58vjd

IND gets: rid the team of Ford who was unhappy with his role (surprise!) and had a strained relationship with O'Brien (understatement), adds front court depth with Diaw, Mohammed, and Evans, a swap for Anderson/Jones (to make the trade work with salaries) but does add a big perimeter shooter they lost in Murphy. Unfortunately getting that front court depth requires taking on Banks (but atleast he is an expiring contract) and giving up Hansbrough. There are 16 players on the roster now but McRoberts is not guaranteed.

PG: Collison/Price/Banks
    SG: Rush/Jones/Henderson
    SF: Granger/George/Posey
    PF: Diaw/Najera/McRoberts/Evans
    C: Hibbert/Anderson/Foster

CHA gets: the point guard they obviously want, a back up SF they need, and a relatively local college kid doesn't hurt (who also has a $1.1M cheaper contract than Najera) Hansbrough doesn't hurt (I know Henderson went to Duke but CHA do not seem high on him anymore). They get a cheap and promising rookie in Stephenson (I do not see Bird keeping him after the Pacers noted off court troubles and how they have handled them, especially Tinsley). Most importantly about this trade, CHA gets under the salary cap and gets their PG. The negative might be they lost the most talented big man in the trade (Diaw) and aren't as deep as last year at C - however they could waive a non-guaranteed contract or two to resign Dampier after 30 days if he won't sign with TOR (but TOR could offer him more money).

PG: Calderon, Livingston, Collins
    SG: Jackson, Carroll, Stephenson
    SF: Wallace, Dunleavy, McGuire
    PF: Thomas, Hansbrough, Brown
    C: Mohammed, Diop

TOR gets: Dampier's contract - slash $13M off the payroll immediately which will put them about $5.5M below salary cap which means they can take on $5.5M of salary in any trade before having to give up salary/contracts. They get 2 PG's who can actually play and contribute. Jones takes Anderson's spot on the team. Ideally the Raps would cut Dampier and sign him back on a one year deal for a million or two more than anyone else could give. Until they can get another centre via a trade or free agency, he would fit in as a big body who can rebound and block shots for 25minutes a game. He could be valuable as a trade chip for a playoff team come deadline. If he doesn't want to sign, oh well. The obvious downfall for this is taking on Ford but it is only for one year and he is an expiring contract. This gives the roster a nucleus of Jack, DeRozan, Weems, Kleiza, Bargs, Davis, Johnson, Alabi, Barbosa* for next with a salary of only $37.5M and $29.9 if Barbosa opts out. That is a lot of cap room and a good core to work with. The best part: TPE IS NOT TOUCHED.

PG: Jack/Augustine/Ford
    SG: DeRozan/Barbosa/Weems
    SF: Kleiza/Wright
    PF: Bargs/Davis/Dorsey
    C: Dampier*/Johnson/Jones/Alabi**

*maybe
    **D-League??

Anyways, long post. Make sure you read the reasoning before you rip me a new one. Something along these lines, maybe not as complicated, is sure to happen. I think it would be after September 13 when Najera/Dampier are eligible to be moved (edit: eligible to be moved with other players from their team).

We shall see. In the meantime, what do you think?
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Aug 17, 2010, 03:43 PM.

Like the raps getting Dampier, financially and for the team if he decides to stay. Not to big on Ford coming back to Toronto, as him and Jarrett Jack have had past issues too. Indiana's moves make sense as they get quality players for the rotation, with plenty of financial flexibility for the next year. I like Charlottes pickups too cause it makes sense for their team. Surprised to see the Gerald Henderson though, thought Charlotte was high on him

Comment

TOR taking on Ford is what I'm talking about having to give to get.

Henderson was exchanged for Stephenson for these reasons:

Salary - $2.1M vs. $750K - helps get Charlotte under the cap
      No way Bird keeps Stephenson after Pacers of recent years off-court issues
      Could have sworn I read somewhere that Bobocats weren't convinced about him - could be wrong here.

Comment

Makes sense financially, but I heard completely different.. I could be wrong though too.

Comment

Ford But, he only has one year left, we'll be what nearly 20 mil under the cap next year?

Comment

Working...
          X