Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors PG Duo Getting No Respect... But Do They Deserve It Anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors PG Duo Getting No Respect... But Do They Deserve It Anyway?

24. Jarrett Jack(notes), Toronto Raptors (last year: unranked)

I wasn't ever really a fan, but I can't turn a blind eye to the way Jack blossomed last season. Stardom isn't in the cards, and I wouldn't be comfortable with him starting at either guard slot for my favorite team, but he is ... competent. And in a world gone wrong, it's nice to have something that is nice, and little else, running the show. Jarrett Jack. He's nice.
    Source: "Ranking the point guards, 30 through 21", Ball Don't Lie, Yahoo! Sports

20. Jose Calderon(notes), Toronto Raptors (last year: ninth)

Calderon's defense, somehow, keeps getting worse and worse; and while I wouldn't call him the biggest reason behind Toronto's 30th-ranked defense last season, in a point guard-driven league, his lapses tilted the framework a bit. On offense, however, he remains a gem. Makes open shots, refuses to turn the ball over, and hits the open man with the expert (if not especially daring) pass.
    Source: "Ranking the point guards, 20 through 11", Ball Don't Lie, Yahoo! Sports
    Yes
    41.67%
    No
    58.33%

The poll is expired.

They may not be the most talented duo, but they put it all out there, every night. So, yeah, I respect them. In a league of egos, those dudes barely show it. THAT's why I respect them.
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

As an individual they are decent PG that has flaws but I respect them due to their passion, determination and a TEAM player. Everyone has egos but they are a select few that can manage it.

Comment

theyre the tandem thats better together then individually, i dont think theyre as bad as the statistics say they are together, but niether are elite material for sure

Comment

Maybe we should dub this duo 'Dangerfield'.... drum roll

Comment

Right on the Money.

Jack and Jose are VERY GOOD backup point guards on a good team who should make about 4.5-6 million a year.

Comment

Yeah, no big revelation here. We have two backup guards on the roster. Both excelled as backups previously and were thrust into the starter role only because of injury to someone else.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                Right on the Money.

Jack and Jose are VERY GOOD backup point guards on a good team who should make about 4.5-6 million a year.
                I completely agree. I do not think Jarrett or José are good starting point guards. When the starters are on the floor (which is most of the game) we will be at a disadvantage to the majority of teams at such a crucial position. Also, while both may be good teammates, I do not believe they are good leaders like a Derek Fisher who isn't the most skilled point guard in the league but is clutch and leads his teams to NBA Championships.

Comment

compared to many of the point guards in this leauge, i think JJ and jose are respectable starters

Comment

I don't see any disrespect in the analysis of Calderon & Jack. For all the talk of them being no better than backup PG, being ranked #20 and #24 in a 30-team league is actually pretty good. I'd be curious to see how many other teams had 2 PG ranked in the top 30.

Yes, the Raptors don't have a star PG, but there truly aren't that many of them in the NBA. What the Raps do have, which very few teams can claim to have, is two solid PGs that do a decent job running the team. Their individual styles compliment each other quite well, which is a nice change of pace to be able to throw at opposing teams.

Personally, if Jose is finally over his leg injuries and can get back to where he was in 2008 (yes, that is a big IF), I would like to see him starting (30 mpg) and Barbosa backing him up (18 mpg). I feel Jack/Barbosa are too similar in style and would rather have Barbosa's speed and dynamic play running the 2nd unit. Also, I bet that Jack would be the most valuable trade asset of the three PGs, given his all-around game and contract.
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                      Yeah, no big revelation here. We have two backup guards on the roster. Both excelled as backups previously and were thrust into the starter role only because of injury to someone else.
                      If your prediction for a dismal 10-11 Raptors season comes true the Raptors could have a very good chance of landing an excellent PG in the 2011 draft.

Right now DraftExpress has only 2 PG and an additional two PG/SG combo guys going in the first round.

http://www.draftexpress.com/

However, it could very be that we might see more PGs go in the first round come June '11 based upon the Rivals 150 ranking for the Freshman class

They have four PGs among their top eight in the 2010 class.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...ings/rank-1909
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I just spent 2 hours collecting stats from every team's starting PG's. Points, assists and steals all PER 36 from last season, among a couple other 'advanced' stats. I feel it was pretty balanced. I then collected their rank in each of these and then averaged it all out to give me a total rank. I included Jose in the chart, but not Jack. I did however collect Jack's stats to compare him.

I felt it was going to bring some new info to light, but now I feel like I just wasted a whole lot of time.

The result Jose #20 and Jack #22. Kind of freaky how close it was to these rankings. So we may not have an 'above average' Starting PG, we do have 2 'average' Starting PG's. Not so bad.

If your interest the top 3 went...

1. Paul
                        2. Rondo
                        3. Williams

My list also had Billups at 6, Westbrook 7. Other than that they were quite different

Comment

RecklessIndifference wrote: View Post
                          I just spent 2 hours collecting stats from every team's starting PG's. Points, assists and steals all PER 36 from last season, among a couple other 'advanced' stats. I feel it was pretty balanced. I then collected their rank in each of these and then averaged it all out to give me a total rank. I included Jose in the chart, but not Jack. I did however collect Jack's stats to compare him.

I felt it was going to bring some new info to light, but now I feel like I just wasted a whole lot of time.

The result Jose #20 and Jack #22. Kind of freaky how close it was to these rankings. So we may not have an 'above average' Starting PG, we do have 2 'average' Starting PG's. Not so bad.

If your interest the top 3 went...

1. Paul
                          2. Rondo
                          3. Williams

My list also had Billups at 6, Westbrook 7. Other than that they were quite different
                          Pretty funny
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                            Pretty funny
                            Slow work day.

Comment

Ball Don't Lie: Top 30 PG's, Sg's

PG's

24. Jarrett Jack(notes), Toronto Raptors (last year: unranked)I wasn't ever really a fan, but I can't turn a blind eye to the way Jack blossomed last season. Stardom isn't in the cards, and I wouldn't be comfortable with him starting at either guard slot for my favorite team, but he is ... competent. And in a world gone wrong, it's nice to have something that is nice, and little else, running the show. Jarrett Jack. He's nice.

23. Raymond Felton(notes), New York Knicks (last year: 29th)Perhaps I underrated Felton's defense through the years, because he did look good last season. And he remains a sound finisher toward the end of quarters (don't underestimate that). There are about 97 other point guards, some retired, that I'd prefer running Mike D'Antoni's show in New York, but Felton will do in a pinch. And, yes, Knick fans, you're in a pinch. At least the pinch (and resultant squeeze) doesn't result in Chris Duhon(notes).

22. Ramon Sessions(notes), Cleveland Cavaliers (last year: 16th)
                              Sessions had an off season, and could you blame him? He was passed over in Milwaukee, signed by a Timberwolves team after being ignored all summer, and that team goes ahead and tries to run the triangle? With a shoot-first rookie point guard leading the way? Traded to Cleveland in the offseason, he'll ... back up another point guard.
                              http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-263026

20. Jose Calderon(notes), Toronto Raptors (last year: ninth)
                              Calderon's defense, somehow, keeps getting worse and worse. And while I wouldn't call him the biggest reason behind Toronto's 30th-ranked defense last season, in a point guard-driven league, his lapses tilted the framework a bit. On offense, however, he remains a gem. Makes open shots, refuses to turn the ball over and hits the open man with the expert (if not especially daring) pass.
                              http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-263059

10 through 1:http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-263267

SG's

30. Leandro Barbosa(notes), Toronto Raptors (last year: 11th)Injured and distracted for most of 2009-10, Barbosa fell and fell hard, shooting the worst percentages from the field and from behind the 3-point line for his career, and averaging double-figure points for the first time since his second season. A fresh start in Toronto will help, but Barbosa is a ball dominator who will have to contend with (as Hedo Turkoglu(notes) did last season) Toronto's motion attack, though we're rooting for him to bounce up another 19 slots.
                              http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba-263585
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                              X