How The Raps Fit Into The Melo-Drama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How The Raps Fit Into The Melo-Drama

Seeings how this is a Raptors site and there are Melo trade rumours, this is how I see Toronto getting in on this action:

First off - rumours are Melo wants to go to Orlando or New York..... tough titty Melo. Denver does what is in their best interests and you go where they send you.

This is what I would see Denver wanting:

All-star quality player with name recognition to keep the fans/sponsors
    Prospects
    Rotational players
    Salary cap relief
    Draft picks

First off, to get Raptors involved we need to do this trade first:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=27gaxym

CHA: gets under cap, gets PG
    IND: rids Ford, adds a couple of bigs
    TOR: drops Dampier, team payroll of only $38.5M ($20.2M below salary cap!), Ford is the price to pay (positive: $8.5M expiring contract)

Next, Melo time. While Orlando and New York are the teams mentioned thus far, Anthony surely wouldn't mind teaming up with Chris Paul. Where does TOR fit in? They are a facilitator with only $37.8 in payroll:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2fm8pjv
    (The option on Dorsey's contract would need to be picked up)

DEN: gets expiring contract in Carter and a (decling) star, a younger and cheaper point guard (Billups is 34 to start season), Bass who wants out of Orlando, Thorton who had a great year last year with more potential, and Pondexter who is a prospect. Probably throw a draft pick their way too. Denver also sheds $15.5M and is now under the luxury tax. This actually saves them around $28.5M next year. They still have a good team - but much younger with more flexibility going forward.

NOH: gets another superstar to team with Paul. Paul/Ariza/Melo/Martin/Okafor with Brackins, Gray, Belli, R. Anderson, Afflalo off the bench. NOH still needs another PG (pssst! GSW are holding off offering Panergo a minimum contract, I think he fit in well there before!). Next year they have around $20M coming off the books (re-sign Chandler, good friends with Paul, Okafor at 4 and Chandler at 5????) and if Melo really wanted to compete with BOS, MIA and LAL, he'd take a paycut like Pierce, LeBron, Bosh, Wade, and Allen all did (Paul would do the same in 2 years).

ORL: get a proven winner at point, a mid-range scoring all-star at the 4, rid of 2 two guys bitching about playing time (Anderson and Bass), depth with Songalia, and $10.7M in cap savings (which is actually $21.4M). Wait! Wait! Wait! They have no one to back up Howard! True. And the Raps dropped Dampier - vets minimum for the chance to win?

TOR gets a C, a rental SF with a $14.3M expiring contract, the TPE is still not touched, next year's salary commitment is only $44.3 ($36.7M if Barbosa opts out) with a core of Jack, DD, Kleiza, Bargs, Gortat, Davis, Johnson, Alabi, and Barbosa*.

PG: Jack/Ford/(Bobby Brown?)
    SG: DD/Barbosa/Weems
    SF: Kleiza/Peja/Wright
    PF: Bargs/Davis
    C: Gortat/Johnson/Anderson/Alabi

What do you think? Probably not possible but I think it works.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=23xjh8l

Another variation but Nelson and Billups not included.

Comment

It's complicated, and unlikely, but I like it. LOL. Would definitely work in a video game

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Seeings how this is a Raptors site and there are Melo trade rumours, this is how I see Toronto getting in on this action:

First off - rumours are Melo wants to go to Orlando or New York..... tough titty Melo. Denver does what is in their best interests and you go where they send you.

This is what I would see Denver wanting:

All-star quality player with name recognition to keep the fans/sponsors
        Prospects
        Rotational players
        Salary cap relief
        Draft picks

First off, to get Raptors involved we need to do this trade first:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=27gaxym

CHA: gets under cap, gets PG
        IND: rids Ford, adds a couple of bigs
        TOR: drops Dampier, team payroll of only $38.5M ($20.2M below salary cap!), Ford is the price to pay (positive: $8.5M expiring contract)

Next, Melo time. While Orlando and New York are the teams mentioned thus far, Anthony surely wouldn't mind teaming up with Chris Paul. Where does TOR fit in? They are a facilitator with only $37.8 in payroll:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2fm8pjv
        (The option on Dorsey's contract would need to be picked up)

DEN: gets expiring contract in Carter and a (decling) star, a younger and cheaper point guard (Billups is 34 to start season), Bass who wants out of Orlando, Thorton who had a great year last year with more potential, and Pondexter who is a prospect. Probably throw a draft pick their way too. Denver also sheds $15.5M and is now under the luxury tax. This actually saves them around $28.5M next year. They still have a good team - but much younger with more flexibility going forward.

NOH: gets another superstar to team with Paul. Paul/Ariza/Melo/Martin/Okafor with Brackins, Gray, Belli, R. Anderson, Afflalo off the bench. NOH still needs another PG (pssst! GSW are holding off offering Panergo a minimum contract, I think he fit in well there before!). Next year they have around $20M coming off the books (re-sign Chandler, good friends with Paul, Okafor at 4 and Chandler at 5????) and if Melo really wanted to compete with BOS, MIA and LAL, he'd take a paycut like Pierce, LeBron, Bosh, Wade, and Allen all did (Paul would do the same in 2 years).

ORL: get a proven winner at point, a mid-range scoring all-star at the 4, rid of 2 two guys bitching about playing time (Anderson and Bass), depth with Songalia, and $10.7M in cap savings (which is actually $21.4M). Wait! Wait! Wait! They have no one to back up Howard! True. And the Raps dropped Dampier - vets minimum for the chance to win?

TOR gets a C, a rental SF with a $14.3M expiring contract, the TPE is still not touched, next year's salary commitment is only $44.3 ($36.7M if Barbosa opts out) with a core of Jack, DD, Kleiza, Bargs, Gortat, Davis, Johnson, Alabi, and Barbosa*.

PG: Jack/Ford/(Bobby Brown?)
        SG: DD/Barbosa/Weems
        SF: Kleiza/Peja/Wright
        PF: Bargs/Davis
        C: Gortat/Johnson/Anderson/Alabi

What do you think? Probably not possible but I think it works.

The file you have requested cannot be found. If you have reached this location via a bookmark, please visit our index page to find the current location and update your bookmarks.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
          The file you have requested cannot be found. If you have reached this location via a bookmark, please visit our index page to find the current location and update your bookmarks.
          Sorry, LBF.

Trade 1: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2b8ewgj

Trade 2 (orignal): http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=36dlgqh

Trade 2 (minus Billups/Nelson): http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=29lggy5
          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Aug 18, 2010, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Carmelo's Departure

With the news of Carmelos situations and our current situation is there any possible way Toronto can get Carmelo,Andersen and Martin while giving up a few pieces of our own and maybe include Charlotte in to this.
            http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/0...s=iref:nbahpt1

Comment

Is not this thread article in the wrong location?
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I absolutely hate Carmelo! He's a great player, but what kind of person just bails on the franchise that has nurtured him since his rookie days, with a year still left on his contract? Call me old fashioned, but I don't want anything to do with this current trend of players who don't care about the fans, or the sport, but only about themselves. This thread just pisses me off..

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                  I absolutely hate Carmelo! He's a great player, but what kind of person just bails on the franchise that has nurtured him since his rookie days, with a year still left on his contract? Call me old fashioned, but I don't want anything to do with this current trend of players who don't care about the fans, or the sport, but only about themselves. This thread just pisses me off..
                  This issue needs to be addressed in the new cba somehow. The Miami situation and now the Carmelo/Chris Paul powerplay is going to make the league a 2 tier league (if its not already with only a few teams making it to the finals consistently). Some combination of a "franchise player" tag and non guaranteed contracts after 2-3 yrs. is needed.

Comment

I'd much rather the Raps go after Chauncey with the TPE. If Melo is dealt, I would assume the Nugs would be looking to shed salary and cut costs. I think Chauncey could help develop the "young gunz" being a steady hand running the offense.

There would have to be some resolution with Jose though (Maybe a Jose for Damp (dump) would look more favorable then).

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                      This issue needs to be addressed in the new cba somehow. The Miami situation and now the Carmelo/Chris Paul powerplay is going to make the league a 2 tier league (if its not already with only a few teams making it to the finals consistently). Some combination of a "franchise player" tag and non guaranteed contracts after 2-3 yrs. is needed.
                      +1. This issue is making me really pissed off.. However, I have the NFL - the real league to watch where any franchise can win the Superbowl whether big market or small market and players are hardly used as faces of the league(we know Brett Favre, Larry Fitzgerald, Reggie Bush, Drew Brees, Antonio Holmes, Rothlisberger, Randy Moss, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and others because of their performances on the field and none of these guys are touted as the face of the league regardless of their talents)..

Comment

Melo wants to compete with the big boys of the NBA (the Heat, Celtics, Magic, Lakers, etc.) , so why on earth would he come to Toronto to be apart of a rebuild?

Comment

Thats is a great idea, I love the idea of a franchise player tag.. I don't get why Carmello doesn't get fined in a case like this, and I don't get why world wide wes hasn't been banished!? This is becoming a joke of a league. In what other sports are athletes doing this with the exception of the Yankees? Its just refreshing to see players like KD, Nash, D-Will, who remain intact with what a real man is.

Comment

This new era of NBA sucks. Everything in this era of entertainment sucks. It's all about selfishness and greed. Fans and teams alike don't matter. Even in music, that I'm in, its content and substance is lacking because money talks and creativity is at an all time low.
                            The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                            Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                            www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                            http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

This thread has gone off topic but you raise a great point. What you mention above would be great for the entire league. Franchise players, max three year guarantee contract but contract can be for as manyyears as they want, and finally a HARD salary cap of say $60-65M but franchise player would not count towards cap.
                              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Aug 27, 2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X