Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Can't Jarret Jack Be Our Point Guard Of The Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIT: nvm drunk

Comment

thomas1 wrote: View Post
      As of now I think he is. Just watched the US vs Spain game and Calderon not only sucked (as usual) but he also got injured I dont know how serious it is but he left and never returned (left in 3rd).
      WORST Jose I've seen in a while...

About Jack, I agree he's a capable PG but most of the times has a lack of leadership. Anyway, I want to see him this season with this crappy team before make an statement.

Comment

I like jj and I like the effort he has put in this off season as well. Like was said we shall see when the season comes.

Comment

People have the misconception that Jack actually plays good defense. He's not that much better than Jose. Both of them get beat easily, and don't fight through screens. That, and he's not a really good ball distributor and playmaker. His assist-to-turnover ratio is poor.

Now this isn't a knock on JJ, as he has his good points as well. But when you ask why must we need a better point guard, the simple answer is that what we have currently isn't good enough. What we have is a really good back up PG who can play extended minutes when needed.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
            You gave him an A for defence? Then where do you put Rondo and Billups?
            Jack is a very good on the ball PG defender - maybe just compared to Jose's clap-defense he seemed great but I think his ability is good even great at times. Good lateral quicks and anticipation.

The number one thing for an NBA PG is cut off the ball and contain opposing PG's Jose can do it 15% of the time JJ can do it 80%+ of the time. There are a few PG's that no one can contain (ie. Aaron Brookes).
            "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
              Jack is a very good on the ball PG defender - maybe just compared to Jose's clap-defense he seemed great but I think his ability is good even great at times. Good lateral quicks and anticipation.

The number one thing for an NBA PG is cut off the ball and contain opposing PG's Jose can do it 15% of the time JJ can do it 80%+ of the time. There are a few PG's that no one can contain (ie. Aaron Brookes).
              Jose and Jack are pretty much both just as crap on D. The difference is on the offence, one is a slower paced PG the other faster. But defensively they are both sheet. I would give him a C on Defence. If he's A then what about Bargnani, he would probably be A+ on your scale...

Comment

because he is 27!!
                http://websitedweeb.userboard.net-Introduce your website. No signup required!

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                  Jose and Jack are pretty much both just as crap on D. The difference is on the offence, one is a slower paced PG the other faster. But defensively they are both sheet. I would give him a C on Defence. If he's A then what about Bargnani, he would probably be A+ on your scale...
                  Dude I have to totally disagree Jack is much much better than Calderon - he always keeps his man in front of him - and contests shots. His size and strength and defense are his trade mark - always have been.

DRAFT EXPRESS:
                  What makes Jack stand out a bit in this excellent class of PG's in this draft is his defense. He is probably the best defensive PG in this draft along with Aaron Miles, but has more potential at the NBA level with this skill because of his excellent size and body.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz0xR2tp7NU
                  http://www.draftexpress.com
                  "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                    Dude I have to totally disagree Jack is much much better than Calderon - he always keeps his man in front of him - and contests shots. His size and strength and defense are his trade mark - always have been.

DRAFT EXPRESS: What makes Jack stand out a bit in this excellent class of PG's in this draft is his defense. He is probably the best defensive PG in this draft along with Aaron Miles, but has more potential at the NBA level with this skill because of his excellent size and body.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz0xR2tp7NU
                    http://www.draftexpress.com
                    Yeah, that's what Draft Express thought when he was getting drafted. 5 years have passed, and I've seen him play night in night out. Yes he puts in effort, but that doesn't make him a good defender.

Comment

I like kyrie irving too

Comment

I'm not sure where this Idea that Jack isn't a good leader on this team....

- He's stated that making the playoffs is the most important thing in his career right now...
                        - He's supported the YGZ in Vegas and meshed with them and by all accounts lead them (they refer to him as the their old man of the group)
                        - He is among the most talkative players on the floor and will take players aside and coach them in-game
                        - Hell he's even a speaker with the NBA Rookie Transition program - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082005582.html

I get the argument that his skills don't mesh with the team or he's not enough of a play-maker, but what kind of player leadership standards are we expecting? Smitch/Oakley levels?!? What past players have been better leaders than him?
                        When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

blaming the PG's is missing the problem

The issue with the Raptors PG position isn't the talents of the players we have on the squad. Jack, Calderon and Banks in their roles are all above average. As a unit they are certainly in the top half of the league. The PG issue is they make a combined $20 Million per season. Factor in Barbosa (or atleast part of his salary) and Toronto is paying for elite level play and getting modest production. Only Jack earns his Salary and it could be argued that JC and MB make double what their worth. We need to move Calderon and replace Banks after the season with a cheaper 3rd PG if we can't move his expiring deal at the deadline. Trying to platoon multiple players at any position is only a good idea if they don't make a ton of Money.

Comment

I still haven't heard a decent reason why he can't be the point guard of the future. He's 27? Statisitically most players enter their physical prime at 26 and are on their way out by around 32. Age is not at all a concern. He has plateaued? Even if that were true it doesn't matter because if he only played as well as he has so far in his career you could still put him on a championship calibre squad and he could still be an integral piece. Maybe not a one of the stars but we don't need him to be if we have stars at other positions. I would love to have a top 5 point guard as much as the next guy but all I'm saying is that it is not a necessity to get one in order to have a winning team. As long as he is a solid contributor at his position then its not like it hurts you to have a guy who is a leader, can defend his position and give you 12 and 6 every night. If that's all he gives us and the younger players continue to grow then I think we'll be in good shape. I see Jack capable of playing an Alvin Williams type of role on this team and that's not too bad at all and it certainly won't be what holds us back from being a winning franchise again.

Comment

Working...
                            X